Bop kit for jazz? Not here!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, that kick drum looks like it is a DeRosa kick drum according to the badge...
BD.png

And the single-hole tom mount leads me to believe it is from one of these 16" child's kits. AMAZING!:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, that kick drum looks like it is a DeRosa kick drum according to the badge...
View attachment 461018
And the single-hole tom mount leads me to believe it is from one of these 16" child's kits. AMAZING!:
LOL and we put up threads here asking What bass to use, what wood, and edges, etc for jazz hahaha

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL and we put up threads here asking What bass to use, what wood, and edges, etc for jazz hahaha
I know, right?! "I can't play a good jazz gig until I own a 1956 Gretsch maple with exactly this many plies and those precise head combinations with 1960s Zildjian original stamp rare riveted, blah blah blah, money money money, my wife will kill me when she finds out, etc. etc. etc..."

We are ALL FOOLS, aren't we?!? Joe just schooled ALL OF US.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know, right?! "I can't play a good jazz gig until I own a 1956 Gretsch maple with exactly this many plies and those precise head combinations with 1960s Zildjian original stamp rare riveted, blah blah blah, money money money, my wife will kill me when she finds out, etc. etc. etc..."

I will shut up about custom ordering a new kit and spending $$$$ on it lol

BlackPearl

Reaction score
His new aĺbum was released in the last few days and sounds wonderful. Stellar line up includes Kenny Barron,Peter Bernstein and Wynton Marsalis. I would it is rare for Wynton to apear as a sideman.

toddbishop

Reaction score

I never heard an actual jazz drummer say anything like that. People just play whatever the hell they've got.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a Monk video from Norway where Ben Riley is pretty much using the same setup except he has a hi hat. I love the solos he played with just a bass, snare, cymbal and hi hat!

Tracktuary

Reaction score
From previous threads I've read, it sounds like Joe also doesn't care too much about cymbals he use. He'll play whatever is available that night. The videos out there seem to prove that as he always seems to be using a different ride for each gig. This week at Small's, it looks like a 21" Sweet Ride with rivets (wouldn't be my first choice). But, man, it sure doesn't seem to matter. Music starts at 17:00 here: