Bop kit for jazz? Not here!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have done many, many gigs with a mini-kit of one sort or another. It depends totally on the gig expectations, whether you are playing duo, trio or more, the room and finally the genre.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bop kit -2. Slingerland sold this 2 pc pro kit as #62N - snare, kick, cymbal. No hi hat.

18" ride/crash sizzle with a Supraphonic. Nice combo. Looks like a LM402 as well.....big boss.

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From previous threads I've read, it sounds like Joe also doesn't care too much about cymbals he use. He'll play whatever is available that night. The videos out there seem to prove that as he always seems to be using a different ride for each gig. This week at Small's, it looks like a 21" Sweet Ride with rivets (wouldn't be my first choice). But, man, it sure doesn't seem to matter. Music starts at 17:00 here:
Exactly. We seem to get so hung up on the minutia of stuff like, "how many grams is that thin ride?" or "should I use an Ambassador Hazy or Ambassador Clear as my bottom snare head?" and whatnot. I'll admit, I'm absolutely guilty of this. This whole mentality of "gotta have the perfectly correct kit to have a perfect gig."

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
cover charge and drink prices; gotta look good
I've never seen a gig video with Joe playing where he isn't the best dressed person in the house. He seems to be a suit-and-tie guy all the way. I really appreciate that, as I wouldn't be able to pull it off. (I hate playing in a suit-and-tie setup!) Great player and great fashion sense!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
...Check out the bass drum in this video....

...seems to make it work, pretty well!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favourite Pop-on-a-Bop-Kit video is this demo for a Yamaha Stage Custom kit and those super cool Pearl conga heads.....

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sounds good to me... I think that one can make all kinds of gear work and that having a minimal selection of stuff to play on isn't necessarily going to be any kind of impediment at all. I'm a fan of this drummer Leon Parker who for a while was well known for playing a kit with a tiny bass drum, a snare and a flat ride (so he didn't even have a bell to play on)... no hats or toms. He actually played a lot of music with that kind of setup. I discovered him in an article in the New Yorker (though it might have been the Washing Post?) were it was mentioned that he was sort of a "new guy on the scene" (in the early 90s) and how he had this really interesting, minimalistic approach to playing drums. In the article it said that he actually played some gigs with just the flat ride... and as odd as that sounds, it does seem like you actually could swing a band with just a ride cymbal! I have a few of his albums, which I really like and on them there are whole passsages of the music where he only plays that ride. He has a way of making less sound like more by layering in the different parts of the kit and one using certain ones on certain passages... I like to hear what folks can do with various self imposed limitations...

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...Check out the bass drum in this video....
...seems to make it work, pretty well!
I do love the snare sound from Gilson Lavis here. He's such a great rock/pop drummer. Yeah, looks like they brought him an 18" kick for this show. That guy could make a trash can sound awesome.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much respect, but I didn't like the ride sound (wood sticks would help) and the LM402 was too low. I did an acoustic museum gig once with a snare, a 14 in bass, and a 19 inch flat ride but I needed hats because we also did some pop/blues. I remember at first I was worried about what I would play and sound the same over and over, but then I let that idea out the window and just played to the feel of the songs and it turned out great. Not sure I would do a jazz gig with 2 drums because I felt the hi-hat was missing driving the beat, but then again I'm sitting here and he's playing the gig! Bravo!