Bop kits

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one for smaller venues where I don't have room for my Mapex kit. I've seen the little four piece Getsch that a local drummer has that looks really cool, but i'm curious to see what else is out there. Photos and ideas of price would be appreciated as well.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you have enough drums you can throw your 16x16" floor tom on it's side and convert it to bass drum. Unless you can't.

16/12/14 is more a regular set than 10/13 toms

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My friend in Little Rock tried most of the available Bop kits and ended up buying the Sonor. He's very picky. Personally, I think the Ludwig sounds better.

GeeDeeEmm

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On the lower end of the budget scale Ludwig Breakbeats are hard to beat performance wise. The little Manu Katche kit above are sweet if you can get them used at the right price. My all time favourite "bop kit" though is the Premier Artist Heritage Club Kit, with it's 20x8 kick. Best little kit I (stupidly) sold.
PAHCK.jpg

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would try and find an 18” kick for my existing gig set. Which is what I did for a period of time until I just could not take playing an 18” kick any longer.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I put together a Gretsch Catalina kit after hearing one at a local jazz club. My 12 and 14 are Catalina Maples though. But after hearing them in a club, I decided to pull the trigger.

R

RickP

On the lower end of the budget scale Ludwig Breakbeats are hard to beat performance wise. The little Manu Katche kit above are sweet if you can get them used at the right price. My all time favourite "bop kit" though is the Premier Artist Heritage Club Kit, with it's 20x8 kick. Best little kit I (stupidly) sold.View attachment 383620

I feel your pain , I had the same model in the same finish . I got a ton of use out of that kit . Beautiful lacquer finish and the Chrome was beautiful . The drums were really great sounding too . They rarely come up for sale sadly . Mine had a cymbal mount on the bass drum with a small mini boom arm .

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you have the desire to do it, you can make your own little drum set from some great orphan drums found for bargain prices. several years ago I acquired three complete drums for less than a total of $200. The small tom is a very old--maybe pre World War Two--7" x 11" Leedy. The floor tom was a 1950's Leedy 12" x 16" marching tenor tom. The Bass drum was a 1960's Slingerland 16" x 18" floor tom. All three drums were easy and inexpensive to convert to their new purpose from using spare parts I already had. I wrapped them with White 3-D Moire from Canal Plastics for less than $50. Strangely enough, a few weeks after completing this little outfit, a music store manager friend showed me a Camco Tuxedo snare he had just taken in trade. It's a good match for the little drum set.
White Leedy Bop Det.jpg

Attachments

What It Is

Reaction score
I play a GMS SL Birch kit 18/12/14 that is phenomenal. SKI on the bass drum, no port, and Remo black dots on the toms. Everything mic'd. Sound guys love it, and I play with two other fairly loud guitar guys. A 20" would be optimal, but the 18" comes through with no problem. Depending on your music, consider a birch kit.

Stickclick

Reaction score
My friend has the Ludwig Questlove kit. He gigs with that a few times weekly, been doing that for at least two years, says that he loves those drums. I think it's pretty good. He put pinstripe heads on it.

I have the SPL kit. Hardware seems sturdy. It sounds like a bop kit from the 1950s but I'd like to hear it with pinstripe heads.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd used one for a year decades ago, an old Slingerland, and recently went to Sapelle stave drums as my main performance kit. Although I like the sound of the 18" bass, I have a trigger on it that runs through my Handsonic so I can dial the pitch down on the PA.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What size is your Mapex kit? What is your budget?
Six piece Armory. I have striped it down to a four piece before, but we have a few places with super small stages that need a smaller kit, especially a smaller kick drum.

20181103_160530.jpg

20180907_175618.jpg

felis

Reaction score
How small do you need it. I guess figure your bass drum size first, then how many pieces you need.

Terminology though: to me, a bop kit is 18/12/14.
The current naming conventions seem to go by bass size:
16" BD and under - 'Street'
18 - 'Bop'
20" - 'Jazz'
22" - 'Rock/Standard'
24" and over - 'Arena/Stadium'

I could be wrong about that that though, and I'm sure naming conventions change over time.
But I think if you say you're looking for a 'bop kit', most people will think of 18/12/14 first.

Maybe you could find a smaller bass drum to use with a tom or two from your current set.