Bop kits

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you like the sizes you're using now, consider a "Woofer" type bass drum instead.
It allows you to fit on smaller stages (as BD depth is typically the factor that allows you to setup comfortably on stage, or teeter on the edge).
I have a 22x8 BD and it works great. You really don't lose very much sound, compared to a 22x16 or 18.
The main difference is you loose a lot of the boominess (so not as much muffling needs to be used).
Makes the drum much less clumsy to haul around too.
...anyway, something to consider...

View attachment 384102
I very much dig this set up! I am an idiot for having sold two 20x8 woofer bass drums & pine for one...22x8 would be a blast! Every time I come across a deal on a woofer shell I go through the same process of adding the cost of lugs, bearing edges, rims, wrap et al and the regret creeps back...mark my words though: I will rectify the situation!

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I have a PS3 batter, smooth ambassador weight reso on a 16", and it sounds fine. Plenty deep enough for the purpose.

I agree, though, a 20" is just a great all around drum.

-Ryan

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
Yup, except I would NEVER use a Superkick II on an 18” bass drum, an SK 1 sure.
Rick, my 18" Sawtooth bass drum sounds "killer" with the SK II head. The shell is poplar and I am running a non-ported head on the front. The music we are doing is classic rock covers and that little bass drum BOOMS!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
For the money-Tama Silverstar Bop Kit is Excellent, Also Yamaha Stage Custom Bop kit......giving slight edge to the Silverstar...
I had a Silverstar Limited Edition bop kit that sounded much bigger than its size.

DrummerPat

Reaction score
I love my Gretsch Catalina Elite...this is the first gen of what turned into the catalina club jazz. This one has an 18" kick with 16" depth, center lugs and long tension rods (think club date). folks are always surprised at the bass sound that comes out of that drum. clear ps3 on batter and logo coated ambassador on reso. Play mine out a lot and the 12 14 18 along with the matching 14 snare have never let me down. As far as lugging stuff, it is a smaller package, but I am still toting 4 drums, hardware bag, cymbal bag, throne and kick pedal case.

Attachments

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using the bop size drums since 2006 or so for 95% of all my gigs (playing everything but jazz). I tune all the drums on the medium/low side and they sound great. I'm using a custom 7Drums kit (18"x14" kick, 12"x8" tom and 14"x14" floor tom) the drums sound great, lightweight and don't take up a lot of stage space.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just the other day converted a 16 FT to a bass, and so far it’s working out pretty well! Band had one rehearsal and the bassist said “well, I can hear it.” That’s a good start for a small bass drum. Got the sound dialed in a bit better tonight. Our next few gigs are in small venues, so we’ll see how it does out in the real world.

I used the Trick conversion kit and some Inde brackets.
5CE3CD9B-F487-454A-ABD1-D3DE3F9F68F5.jpeg

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you have the desire to do it, you can make your own little drum set from some great orphan drums found for bargain prices. several years ago I acquired three complete drums for less than a total of $200. All three drums were easy and inexpensive to convert to their new purpose from using spare parts I already had.
The same story with these!
Orphans are cheap. Get creative. Let’s me play a vintage Gretsch bop kit for around $175.00......
1F0C9329-38F2-45A9-8426-8AA59EB39997.jpeg

Targalx

Reaction score
I'm someone who actually plays in a bop combo, so I've had the good fortune of playing a number of different bop kits.

My opinion is that most major manufacturers' modern bop kits are excellent. The aforementioned Tama, Ludwig, Pearl, and Sonor kits are all inexpensive and fantastic. Each is worth substantially more than the asking price, in my eyes.

I personally play a 2010 Yamaha Stage Custom Birch bop kit (18/12/14, see photo with Yamaha Beech Custom Absolute 7x14 snare in WMP) which I absolutely love, but any of these other brands are great, too. This bop kit costs about $500 brand new; it sounds just as good as those at several times the price.

I am actually NOT a fan of the vintage bop kits, as I've had issues with tuning, hardware and shell roundness. They are usually nice sounding kits and people like that vintage "mojo" factor, but like an old car, my experience has found them to always require something to keep going. These inexpensive modern bop kits, to me, sound just as good as the substantially more expensive vintage kits.

I want a reliable, comfy daily driver, and this Yamaha (and the other modern bop kits) seem to do just that.

SCUSTOM1.jpg

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can put in a good word for the Tama Club-JAM. I've done a few jazz gigs with them already and they've done well. And wow, do people love how they look! I've got a thread about them on the site where I go into more details.
Tama Club-JAM good.JPG

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, Im a bop fan as well though I would prefer a 20" kick to my current 18" older Gretsch Catalina Club. But with the addition of a set of nice, light weight hardware this is a joy to lug around for local gigs.

20190519_120415 copy copy.jpg

20171231_092515 copy.jpg

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Gretsch Catalina Jazz bop kit as well. I have urethaned the inside of the shells and made some hardware upgrades. I gig the socks of that kit in clubs that have small stages. We play Classic Rock and Country. I have an Aquarian Super Kick II on the kick and coated ambassadors on the toms. It tunes up well and stays in tune. They sound really good miced up. The little kick does a great job miced up through 18" subs. Our bass player prefers it in some venues to my other kit with a 22" bass drum because it has a tighter thump and sounds cleaner in certain rooms if that makes sense...

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a bop size kit for 99% of my gigs ... and I'm playing country, rock, pop gigs mostly in clubs but have used those sizes at a few arenas and a stadium.

The drums always have mics on them and I let the mics do their job to provide the volume. I have had sound engineers look at me crazy when I show up with these smaller size drums but then look shocked at how they sound during sound check .... they sound bigger than they look.

Johnny K

Reaction score
If you have enough drums you can throw your 16x16" floor tom on it's side and convert it to bass drum. Unless you can't.

16/12/14 is more a regular set than 10/13 toms
Yup. And it sounds good and it is loud. I did post a video file of me banging away at this setup. The Questlove kit punches above its weight too.

IMG_0756.JPG

The real charm of this 10/12/16 kit is that it takes up a minimal floor area of approxmate 25 sf. (5'x5')