Bored and warm - any advice on a 22" medium-light to medium ride à la Edgar Bateman/Hamid Drake?

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Looking for a heavier ride, not HEAVY but more medium-light, between 2450-2950 gram. Take you pick below. There's more brands, I know...

Here's the great Edgar Bateman (not sure what he plays on this track, but I know he sometimes played a 20" Ping Ride):

And Hamid Drake:

Here's something to set the mood:

And a small cracker after dinner:

ZILDJIAN
Trans stamp
Block stamp
EAK
Old K

AGOP
Heavier 30th
1st generation Signature
Sultan (medium thin, not jazz)
Idris
Ottoman (pre-split)
Pre-split
Aaron Sterling
Mantra

BOSPHORUS
Sultan

PAISTE
?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I see where you're going (but I can't hear you move). Or, was that "I Hear You Knocking'"?

I used to have a cracked Epoch that made people move like they do in this wonderful video. Was cool.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste Traditionals medium light would fit nicely, as would the Agop Idris. I’m a big fan of the Agop SE Fusion ride, as well. It has a bigger bell than the other SE rides I’ve seen.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hamid Drake's sounds like a nice A medium ride to me, with some lower tone in there. I hear a high-pitched stick (as in, the actual stick wood has a high pitch). Not as heavy as say the Idris Agop.
Interesting playing, thanks for the link.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I love to see Edgar Bateman's name come up.
me too it reminds me of

or
or
or

"those were the days...."

Griener

Reaction score
me too it reminds me of

or
or
or

Man, jda
I sure miss cymbalholic.
Haven't logged in since the shut-down, felt like coming home in a dusty old house, full of cobwebs.

By the way, the bass player in the Dave Brubeck Quartet was Norman Bates. Paul Desmond and Joe Morello used to go to the movies to watch Psycho and laughed their way all through the movie.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Paiste Traditionals medium light would fit nicely, as would the Agop Idris. I’m a big fan of the Agop SE Fusion ride, as well. It has a bigger bell than the other SE rides I’ve seen.
Never played a Paiste Trad. Medium Light but had a lighter Idris (was just above 3000 gram) that fit the bill but had some weird overtones. Will consider the SE Fusion ride, but I am actually a bit disappointed with never Agop's these days. Maybe I just haven't found the right one...

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Hamid Drake's sounds like a nice A medium ride to me, with some lower tone in there. I hear a high-pitched stick (as in, the actual stick wood has a high pitch). Not as heavy as say the Idris Agop.
Interesting playing, thanks for the link.
Hamid is a big influence. Always a "woody", "earthy" tone/vibe, and love his cymbal choices. Never figured out what his main ride is, but (like you) guessing old Zildjian's and for a while V-Classics.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I love to see Edgar Bateman's name come up.
Great drummer, indeed!
Yep,

If you some hours left, give this a listen :)

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
me too it reminds me of

or
or
or

Were late to the game, but managed to buy a soda and a hot dog and watch the game from behind :)

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Why a 22”? The sound you’re trying to replicate seems to be a 20” sound... There’s a couple of very cool options for that vibe you’re looking for (but in 20”) that are kinda under the radar - the Memphis exclusives by Zildjian, sounds like your sound -

The Joe Morello Take Five ‘re-issue’ A -

And the Philly Joe K-con-

I think they do what you’re wanting to do very well. Both are likely to be pretty collectible, if that matters to you. Only Memphis has them, made in limited numbers, and it’s a safe bet that they won’t be made for long.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Paiste Masters Dark Ride?

Or on the cheap - the Istanbul Agop Xist Ride to me sounds like a good compromise between a Ping Ride and a hand hammered cymbal:

Those Xist rides are underrated! Had one but included it in a trade. At that time, it felt like the least unique cymbal I had, so I let it go thinking I can always get one that sounds exactly like this...

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Why a 22”? The sound you’re trying to replicate seems to be a 20” sound... There’s a couple of very cool options for that vibe you’re looking for (but in 20”) that are kinda under the radar - the Memphis exclusives by Zildjian, sounds like your sound -

The Joe Morello Take Five ‘re-issue’ A -

And the Philly Joe K-con-

I think they do what you’re wanting to do very well. Both are likely to be pretty collectible, if that matters to you. Only Memphis has them, made in limited numbers, and it’s a safe bet that they won’t be made for long.
Thank you. You are definitely right, can be a 20". I just got used to 22"-23" (played an Agop 26" Signature ride for some time...) and every time I put a 20" on the stand I feel like an inch is missing. I actually played 20's exclusively for 10 years before stepping up.

The Take Five ride is nice, but I'd rather try to find an old A for this sound (perhaps even a bit heavier than the re-issue). Also, the Take Fives I've heard on Youtube has too much character of a crash/ride. The examples I posted with Edgar Bateman and Hamid Drake have a darker ping/definition, the Take Five is too "wet".

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paiste Masters Dark Ride?

Or on the cheap - the Istanbul Agop Xist Ride to me sounds like a good compromise between a Ping Ride and a hand hammered cymbal:

I had a 22" Xist. Lovely cymbal. I wouldn't say that they're thin. Or even medium thin. But they play beautifully and aren't stiff or gongy at all. Overall very Turkish, dark and lush with a nice woody stick.

Latest posts