Bosphorous New Orleans line

Nubs

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this line? I have a 19" Bos Master Vintage Crash/Ride which is nice, but it's really not the kind of sound I'm looking for. I'll probably wind up selling it sometime soon. In the meantime, I came across this line of cymbals and became interested.

Ok so the question then is...what kind of sound ARE you looking for Nubs? Glad you asked!

For the ride: I would like a light, airy, soft sound from the ride with a nice woody stick sound. Maybe a slight wash when ridden, yet I'd still like it to be crashable with a short decay.

For the crash: I would like a shorter crash...it should have that traditional crash sound, just not last that long.

For the hi-hats: I would like the traditional softer chick sound when closed and would like them to open up cleanly. I like to slowly open the hats when coming up on a change to build up volume and the hats need to accommodate.

Right now I have a Mapex Mars kit, but am seriously considering the SJC Busker kit soon. I play primarily blues and classic rock with some boopy jazz mixed in.

Thoughts? Thanks all!

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Bos New Orleans are great cymbals for sure. The ones I have encountered are on the more dry and shorter sustain side. I wouldn't describe the sound as "airy" or "soft" necessarily. For the sounds you are describing, IMO the Traditional series thinner models would be perfect. Very quick responding, airy, soft, versatile, buttery.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The N.O. line is one of my favorites that Bosphorus makes. Honestly, any of their cymbals with the zebra lathing are worth checking out, like the Groove Series (formerly the Stanton Moore signature series — fully lathed on top, zebra lathing in the bottom) and the Samba Series (part N.O./part Turk).

jsp210

Reaction score
New Orleans will give you the woody stick but look at their Groove, Antique, and Traditional lines for progressively more wash and "airy" qualities.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The N.O. line is one of my favorites that Bosphorus makes. Honestly, any of their cymbals with the zebra lathing are worth checking out, like the Groove Series (formerly the Stanton Moore signature series — fully lathed on top, zebra lathing in the bottom) and the Samba Series (part N.O./part Turk).
I really like the zebra lathing. The Mehmet Legend Dark & 60th Anniversary rides are great too!

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a 16" New Orleans crash . Hard to describe, shorter sustain without being quicker , full bodied without being explosive . Not too much of this and just enough of that sort of thing . I wouldn't hesitate to take it into a lounge or a crowded bar . Lovely cymbal, glad it's mine .

lamartee

Reaction score
I got a Stanton Moore 22" Wide Ride a while back and it is suh-wheet! I gotta figure "New Orleans" series probably comes from the same family.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok so the question then is...what kind of sound ARE you looking for Nubs? Glad you asked!

For the ride: I would like a light, airy, soft sound from the ride with a nice woody stick sound. Maybe a slight wash when ridden, yet I'd still like it to be crashable with a short decay.

For the crash: I would like a shorter crash...it should have that traditional crash sound, just not last that long.

For the hi-hats: I would like the traditional softer chick sound when closed and would like them to open up cleanly. I like to slowly open the hats when coming up on a change to build up volume and the hats need to accommodate.
Just from those written descriptions, I'd say also check out the Agop Mel Lewis sig line.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
My only experience was with an 18" New Orelans crash. It had a lot of the character of a darker K crash, but slightly drier overall. It crashed, initially, with the same energy as a K, but it died out a bit quicker and with fewer overtones and frequencies (if that makes sense). It was also a bit heavier and stiffer feeling under the stick than you'd imagine. In some cases I used it as my ride/only cymbal for very quiet gigs. The dryness helped it as a light ride, but it was still very crashable. They're versatile cymbals for sure.