Bosphorus / Amazon fever NCD x 6

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My search for low volume cymbals collided with the Amazon deals thread. It started with a Bosphorus 18' Antique thin crash for $143. A low volume setting is ideal for a very versatile cymbal, highlighting different sounds which would be lost in a loud band. The unlathed band made a very nice pingy light ride, the lathed band and edge gave a variety of crashes.

In a fit of extravagance I then paid $156 for a 17" paper thin Antique crash and liked it as well.

Next I ordered a $102 13" paper thin Antique crash to use as a top HH with two cymbals in hand as possible bottom HH choices. The two in stock had just disappeared so mine was on a slow boat from Turkey.

I added a $101 13' thin Antique crash for use as a crash or possible bottom HH which is also sailing from Turkey.

I had a $164 Turk 19" flat ride to my cart and it sat there for weeks while I tried to decide whether to buy it. Then one day I saw that the lowest price on Amazon was $259 and placed the order for the one in my cart. A week later I bought a "very good condition" return which popped up for $124 and cancelled the new one. It arrives today.

I then spotted a "like new" return of a 20" Antique flat ride for $164. On a youtube video it is a surprisingly good crash and a significantly lower pitched ride than the 19" Turk so I'm planning to use both flat rides at the same time. It will be here in a few days.

I now have a full compliment of cymbals for my low volume set up. It is never-the-less a certainty that over time Amazon will entice me to buy a few more.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweeeet mama! If I did my math right, that's 7 cymbals, a full new rig for $790! Now thats impressive! Looking forward to your review when you get them all together.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They show up on the Amazon Deals thread, which is what got me started. Now I go to Amazon and search "bosphorus cymbal" and sort low to high and look for bargains.

It used to sort by the lowest price for each cymbal. Now it just sorts by the price for the top vendor (lowest price is no longer always the top vendor) so you need to look at the bottom of each item of the sort array for "more buying choices" to see the lowest price.

Last edited:

malonedrum

Reaction score
That's pretty interesting, I wonder who the seller is? Have you checked into who the seller is?

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those I've bought recently are listed as Sold by Amazon.

As an example here is an 18" New Orleans flat ride for $180. Amazon has "like new" returns they are selling for $138 and $143.

Flat ride

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got my 15" Bosphorus traditional hats for $200. You can certainly find some good deals on there.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FYI, my $124 "very good condition" Turk 19" flat ride came in the plastic bag looking brand new. Marked 2060 grams it feels like a medium and sounds great. Nice ping, a little higher pitched and tighter than a lathed 19" medium, some wash and I love slapping it near the hole with the stick shoulder.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Received the $165 "like new" Antique 20" flat ride and it does look like new. The weight given in the Amazon description is usually wildly inaccurate and since flat rides have no thickness code I had no idea what I was getting. The description on the 19" Turk flat ride stated that it was 1501 grams but it was, in fact, 2060.

The description for this 20" Antique flat ride stated that it weighed 2250 grams. The video that caused me to fall in love with this cymbal featured one that weighed 1770. I decided the listed weight meant nothing and, sure enough, the one that came in was 1800.

The real test of Amazon returns comes tomorrow when my Dark Turk hats come in, described as "massive cosmetic damage."

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received the $165 "like new" Antique 20" flat ride and it does look like new. The weight given in the Amazon description is usually wildly inaccurate and since flat rides have no thickness code I had no idea what I was getting. The description on the 19" Turk flat ride stated that it was 1501 grams but it was, in fact, 2060.

The description for this 20" Antique flat ride stated that it weighed 2250 grams. The video that caused me to fall in love with this cymbal featured one that weighed 1770. I decided the listed weight meant nothing and, sure enough, the one that came in was 1800.

The real test of Amazon returns comes tomorrow when my Dark Turk hats come in, described as "massive cosmetic damage."
"Massive cosmetic damage".....can't wait to see the pics!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if someone who never saw an unlathed cymbal before thought the rough finish to be cosmetic damage. I wouldn't have taken the chance on the "Crisp" or "Bright" and if the "cosmetic damage" is structural damage they are going right back.
Being unlathed "rough finish" could very well could be the case. Didn't think of that.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My paper thin 13" Antique crash also arrived and it works very well with the 17" paper thin crash. Once again the returned 13" is perfect. I canceled the original order when the $94 "very good" return showed up in Amazon Warehouse. Aside from saving a few dollars I got it in two days.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a very good memory for cymbal sounds. Years back I was playing all the used cymbals at a store and one 20" Zildjian stood out: rich, complex but tight ping. Looking down I was shocked by the price, over $300 is all I remember. It also was a line I knew nothing about. Might have been Kerope, can't remember. Anyway when I racked up my 19" 2060 gram Turk flat ride it was very close to the sound of that Zildjian and sounded nothing like 1834 gram Boston Drum Center video I had used to select it. My first thought was "it's not quiet", my second "OMG that is gorgeous." So another caution about buying a cymbal without hearing it and a paean to the gods of dumb luck.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you ready to see... "MAJOR COSMETIC DAMAGE":
maybe some scratches around the bell??? 902 over 1110, very happy with the weights and they sound great. A little louder than I had hoped. $130 was a good bet.

P1030555.JPG
P1030556.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Done for now with nine Bosphorus cymbals bought from Amazon. Six will comprise my cymbal set up. The 17" New Orleans crash is up for sale. The 18" Antique thin crash, the cymbal that inspired the other purchases goes on the shelf with the 14" thin crash as I'll be using the two paper thin crashes. Total spent with tax was $965.

The 20 Antique was the first to arrive naked in a giant box, yesterday. Later yesterday the 13 Paper thin arrived in a more reasonable box in a plastic sleeve with no packing. Then today the Hi-hats came in a plastic sleeve at the bottom of an enormous box with a little paper thrown on top.

Last edited: