header.nohb.html

Bosphorus Early to Present Official chat Thread.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
13” Ferit/Turk series Light Hihats. These are early but I can’t remember exactly when I got them. I had an “endorsement” at the time. Discounted cymbals. Although they did put me on the website.
View attachment 575530 View attachment 575531 View attachment 575532
They’re an odd set. Crisp and dry but with the smallish sound you’d expect from 13”. They’re not smooth but rather almost clunky. But they make a tight dark “chick” and a full stick sound that’s compact. They’re a bit like mini Paiste SCD hats. They don’t have the smooth open sound that lathed cymbals have but rather a slight dry gongish tone.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok?... Here's a weird one

View attachment 575442 View attachment 575444
Ephesus
unlathed bottom/lathed top
like a Vezir (istanbul)

from early catalog (which I have not one nor find much early on google)
.found it here:
I’ve never seen one of those with the lathed top unlathed bottom. I have a Mehmet ride with an almost unlathed top and a lathed bottom. (Opposite, almost).

Reactions: JDA

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Solid thread idea.

I'm convinced the newer offerings (w/ the stamp at 3 o'clock) are higher pitched than earlier models, at least in the Antique series, so no Amazon for me.
I guess I can’t say for sure since I haven’t compared the same model over the years, but I have a 19” Traditional crash marked Paper Thin but really weighs and plays like a Thin also and it’s quite low pitched.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
21" King Ride:
EOS_1620.JPG

EOS_1622.JPG

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are two Master Series (19" and 21") that I purchased at a jazz convention in the late 1990s. One has a white label (white Master Series label, that is.) It was until recently that I used them both as primary cymbals (when not using my old Ks).

E3E77C58-C46C-47F1-893D-9377EC42EC7A.jpeg

Here's an audio example of them together:

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
great vid Mathale! best I ever heard of them (masters
Sweet! Means a lot coming from you~ :)

They are a joy to play. Just love'em. They even make me sound good. LOL!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
they had some "chunk" to them that I don't usually hear in Masters demonstrations

Last edited:

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are two Master Series (19" and 21") that I purchased at a jazz convention in the late 1990s. One has a white label (white Master Series label, that is.) It was until recently that I used them both as primary cymbals (when not using my old Ks).

View attachment 576887

Here's an audio example of them together:
The nice light touch is vital, making the thin Masters sound lush (in a New Stamp K kind of way) - yet there is quite a bit of trashiness when called upon. Very cool.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Experience with old Ks teaches one how to play and approach (and get the best out of) any cymbal.
It's the same experience with hard core die cast Gretsch.. (Ironic huh? Gretsch and old Ks how they are linked)
experience teaches how to approach draw out finesse any make of drum)

Mathale has Old K experience; that's why I think he knows what and how to get it- get the best from those Masters.
The people dealers have demonstrating cymbals on their you tube and on their websites- half of them- more than half of them- you want my opinion don't know squat

Ok I'm done

Last edited:

bopdaddy

Reaction score
I remember when my midset was " Bosphorus? pffft"

When at a Pa Vintage Show 2002 I think (the time I took "the long way" and added about an hour) I spotted a Bosphorus ride all alone on a stand. It was a 20". and I turned it over and in Blue ink the stamp said "Original Ride." and I thought "dang that's Istanbul terminology" .. placed it back on the stand. The price was good (compared to the old Ks and Spizzichino's that were at (in my mind) the show's core (I was an Istanbul player) . And continued to ignore
JDA I bought that Bosphorus that day at PA SHOW! Great cymbal, my first Bosphorus cymbal.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me and You I think we talked about it when we were both standing there and you had it in your hands claimed!
I remember Bop