Bosphorus question

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a couple Masters Series cymbals a 19,20, 22 not the Vintage line just straight Masters Series. I have an 18 on the way that I just picked up from eBay should have been here yesterday but didn't arrive. The 18 and 19 have regular dark ink brand logos and size info but the words " Masters Series" are in white ink. I've owned the 19 for about 8 years now...none were bought new. Does anyone know when the white logo cymbals were made approximately? I'm hearing they're the original run etc....but nobody can prove that to me. I like their sound so I'm not looking to sell just curious as to what I have .... I'll try to get to the shed today and put up a pic or two Thanks in advance

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have been buying and playing Bosphorus since 2000 and own 60 of them, including several Masters. I don't know the precise lineage, either, but I know that the white label is very early, to the point that I have never seen a Masters with the white label. I remember buying Masters from Michael Vosbein when the line seemed to have just come out. This would've been about 2001/2. It could be that they existed white label before Vosbein started bringing them in to the US, and by the time he brought them in, Bos had dropped the white label.
My best guesses..

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been buying and playing Bosphorus since 2000 and own 60 of them, including several Masters. I don't know the precise lineage, either, but I know that the white label is very early, to the point that I have never seen a Masters with the white label. I remember buying Masters from Michael Vosbein when the line seemed to have just come out. This would've been about 2001/2. It could be that they existed white label before Vosbein started bringing them in to the US, and by the time he brought them in, Bos had dropped the white label.
My best guesses..
Thanks for that point, that's literally more than I've been able to find myself. I will get some pictures when this one arrives and post here so you can see what I'm talking about.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I too started with Bosphorus as my first "real" cymbals. This is the pre 2000 ink style

View attachment 480368

I might be able to supply more context when you post a photo or two.
That's it! You can see the white lettering just below the glare in the photo left side. The cymbal I own has a bit more patina than the one in the photo .... The one I purchased looks to be about the same patina as the photo you provided. So these are late 90's approx?

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve only seen a white ink one once that I can remember. It was a 20”. The owner offered to sell it to me for $100. Being the idiot I am, I turned him down.... ugh.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
still kick myself...20" Masters 1596g.....for missing this one letting it go..3 weeks ago.
I could have used it for something (left side) but felt I owned enough. never see this deal again never say never -->

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
That's it! You can see the white lettering just below the glare in the photo left side. The cymbal I own has a bit more patina than the one in the photo .... The one I purchased looks to be about the same patina as the photo you provided. So these are late 90's approx?
I bought my first set of Bosphorus cymbals new in New Zealand in September 2002. No way to know how long they were in transit to get to the drum shop. They were called Ferit Series back then. They came in sub series Antio and Turk. Sometimes the bottom ink looks a bit more like Antiq. Mine is clearly Antio. The Ferit Series was divided into the Antique series, and the Turk series with the ink changed appropriately.

bos21top.jpg

bos21bot.jpg

CymbalsOnly has old information preserved in their photos. You can see the next generation of Master ink when it was black and diagonal. In general white model ink was used on unlathed cymbals but don't read too much into that. Ink color varies, and it varies over time but we don't have all the details.

The other telltale with the ink on these pre 2000 ones is that under the BOSPHORUS ink on the top it says

%100 Handmade Turkish Cymbals

Vosbein & Co changed the model names and the ink some time after 2002 but I haven't got the year to hand. In the Vosbein era they also added a registered trademark symbol (R) after the Bosphorus.

There are multiple generations of most series and models. Some day they will appear in the wiki but not here.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Master Vintage where the whole Bosphorus logo is white. No series or model ink. Wonder how the age compares?

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, and the MV's came around much later. Also, my Turks are all white labeled. Turks, too, are a later development.

To tweak cymbal.wiki's post above: the %100 Handmade Turkish Cymbals logo stayed around a bit into the '00's, from my observation. But it could be that cymbals made up until 2002 took a while to get to the US, which would align with cymbal.wiki's post. I, too, noted the addition of the trademark sign as the '00's progressed.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see "the big guy" unless that's him in the back... But I maybe afraid so!!
The Big Guy dresses and went to the namm shows. Gentle sweetest Nice Person.. That may be it!

hey. you can do a lot with 9 guys (ASK Pam anderson (sorry bad joke)
But no really think about- I don't know that pic is on their board with no caption much
````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I;ll say another thing. The building it's condition..ain't too far away from the one pic online of the old Zildjian works in Turkey
(a very old Picture from the 60s (there was a Land Rover (jeep) parked out front...) (and the year we figured from the Rover)) .. Not the same building.. but things haven't changed

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I;ll say another thing. The building it's condition..ain't too far away from the one pic online of the old Zildjian works in Turkey
(a very old Picture from the 60s (there was a Land Rover (jeep) parked out front...) (and the year we figured from the Rover)) .. Not the same building.. but things haven't changed
In Turkey, that building would be considered a modern manufacturing facility. Much of there infrastructure and many of their buildings look like that. They are in desperate need of some Home Depot’s!!!