Bosphorus Syncopation Series Cymbals

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I said something almost identical to this when I gigged my 21" Master Vintage over a stretch. I couldn't believe how quiet it was, and I typically play in a trio setting in restaurants and bars. It reminded me of a toy cymbal ("Aw, this is cute!"). I found myself trying to coax out sounds that did not exist: no felt, played more aggressively, etc. Ultimately, it had to come off of the stand so that a legitimate cymbal could go up.
Huh. Yeah. Weird. It's like the trad and sync cymbals I've played and heard only have a tiny little bit of that quality in them. And that's how I'd best describe "the Bosphorus sound".

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone should do a comparison of availability . Of 19" Rides or 19" Crash Rides ( Not straight 19" crashes...) among makers.

There one may see (non- Zildjian brands in general) catering (to that particular) model more.

So beyond individual sound character of makes; there's also the 'availability' - choice of model and choice of builds in certain popular sizes

Take 19" ride and crash ride. (not crash)
And see how makers numbers (of that model stack up.
19" ride seems a popular left side choice. If one company makes that model available more it may overshadow the larger company..regardless

note Mel Lewis old Ks 19/22 (oops 21) were what was brought to Istanbul (by Danny G.) to begin the Mel Lewis Istanbul series way back in the mid late 80s.
1) Old K 19s (all rides) are impossible to find (so forget that)

I mean among current makers.
who makes the most variety in 19" Rides (dark jazzy "solid" ones) (not crash specific ones)

Something tells me in that one area small companies are equal to (or large than) large makers..

Last edited:

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mark, I only now realized you were behind this handle here...

I have an 18" Bos Proto that I believe is a Syncopation proto. On the left here:

Here's a 22 at 2600 g that I sold, as it was too heavy for me:

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mark, I only now realized you were behind this handle here...

I have an 18" Bos Proto that I believe is a Syncopation proto. On the left here:

Here's a 22 at 2600 g that I sold, as it was too heavy for me:

Wow, loved them both! I was thinking of getting a heavier Syncopation ride made for general use.

marc3k

Reaction score
I came across this video from hazelshould of a 20" Syncopation SW and I was blown away! I think this could be exactly what I'm looking for as a "left side ride". I only own Agops at the moment so I'm not sure if I should really try different brands.
To the guys that bought them some time ago - do you still enjoy them?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you have to go thru a process before you arrive at suitable cymbals.
You go thru the strong aggressive types and enjoy your time with them. If you reach too soon to a moderate cymbal (some call Bosphorus polite or too polite..) If you reach and land there too early you may find "things" wanting.
How ever if you've gone the the A's, the 2oo2s, the P Signatures, the Ufips, the Sound Creations, the AK's and Con, The Istanbul presplit A &M, and finally or sometime-along-the way the old Ks. If you've had a "full cymbal life".

You may then truly appreciate the "moderateness' no-fuss of the B's.

It's dependent somewhat on timing like other things in Life
an arc
some kids get a rolls royce for their very first car and screws them for life ; )
Bosphorus for me are near the end of the arc and totally satisfactory no looking back
(not that I've sold my other makes..But I could,
the sentimental kid in me (and a couple other reasons) won't allow it )
Bosphorus are a very balanced pleasant event.
Everything that needs to be there seems to be there well enough.
But again you got to go thru vines to reach the clear field.
It's - for Live performance- been a timing thing for me.
Under a recording mic I may bring back some old Ks I dunno.
Live from a distance to just get on with it- I can't won't fault the B's.
They're easy. They seem to make work easy.
But wanting that, being content with that, seems to be an arrival point. And everyone's different.
Or at different points in their own individual cymbal life.

do you still enjoy them?

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
so Joe are you saying Bosphorus are old man cymbals?
".pretty much.. yeah"
: D
(but not as Old as the old guys not budging from the old As..)
"hey I resemble that remark".
says someone.

Last edited:

marc3k

Reaction score
Yeah thanks Joe for your wisdom :)

I believe someone already posted the information from cymbalsonly.com about the character of this specific series in this thread.
Here's the link anyway. I think this series is pretty different from your "old man cymbals" Joe. Have you given them a try?

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you given them a try?
I don't want "exotic" (really never have) (Young fiery dude might: ) Trad, Turk and Antique Series suit me
(old man)

22 Hammer 2520*
20 Trad Thin Ride 1934 ^
20 Trad flat 2290 (beast) *^
20 Trad china (swish) 1610 *^
19 Antique thin Ride 1633*
19" Turk paper thin crash 1603^
18" Trad thin crash 1340
16" Antique thin crash 960
14" trad Dark Hats. 910/1110*^

General *
^ sets
Like I have a 20 main set up and a 22 main set up
depending on room and/or mood, size of gig etc.
Nice variety/match was easily attainable +/-
all acquired pre owned near new

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@marc3k

112521 001.JPG 112521 002.JPG 112521 003.JPG

112521 003.JPG

oh, Happy Thanksgiving.
that's the "20" set with some adds
20 china (hi left) , 19 Turk (left) , 20 Trad TR (main) , 16 Antique (far right)
an Istanbul 10 splash
14 trad D hats
- the middle two are itching for a Gig
not just any gig tho..

Last edited:

marc3k

Reaction score
Just recently I sold the only Bosphorus cymbal I owned - a 20 turk thin ride. It was a nice contrast when I got it, but I just like my Agops better. And I'd like to stay within the brand at the moment..

multijd

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing that this thread is revived I’ll throw in two cents. I dont own any syncopation series. Ive seen some ads or videos but haven’t heard any in person. It intrigues me though to think about a “trashier” Bos sound. I would characterize my masters series and black pearls as smooth, sparkling and sweet, a very unique, and as Joe said, playable sound. Did I get that right Joe? Anyway one of my recent finds that I have enjoyedis a Mehmet Legend dark which is in the same ballpark but drier and very slightly heavier. The other is a modern KCon overhammered thin. This is a wonderful cymbal but these syncopation series seem like they would be close. Any thoughts? Another cymbal Ive thought about is the agop 30th anniv. Mad expensive though.