header.nohb.html

Bosphorus

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, my cymbal tastes have always favored The Big Three, with Paiste the clear favorite. Lately, though, I’ve been intrigued by Bosphorus, so as an early Christmas present to myself, I’ve treated myself to a set of the Traditional series cymbals - 20” Med Thin Ride, 18” Med Thin Crash, 18” Paper Thin Crash, and 15” Crisp Hi Hats. The ride is here, and it’s great - pretty clean, with a touch of dark trashiness. I’m looking forward to seeing where they fit in my sound.

Who else loves Bosphorus cymbals?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan. There have been many threads about them over the years...and more than a few in the past 6-12 months.

Here's an "official chat" but not a ton of info, just some mentions of individual cymbals:

Here's a discussion of weight and model codes:

Here's the main recent one that I found most helpful:
https://www.drumforum.org/threads/tell-me-about-bosphorus-cymbals….194312/

My first post in that thread applies here too:
Bosphorus has been a favorite of mine since many years ago someone traded me a New Orleans 20” and I fell in love with it. Still one of my favorite cymbals. I’ve ordered new ones from Turkey, bought used ones often, and continue to enjoy them immensely. I’ve sold a few that weren’t getting played as much, but can’t say I’ve ever had a real “loser” of a cymbal from them other than an FX crash with the holes — just not the sound for me at all. But all the hats, rides, and crashes have pleased me. I currently play often:
- Stanton Moore 14” Fat hats
- Traditional 15” dark hats
- Master Vintage 18” crash
- Traditional 19” thin crash (marked paper thin but it’s not got that too-light feel)
- New Orleans 20” ride
I have since added a New Orleans 18" crash that is set up right now. I had a couple other ride models that were really nice, including a 22" Syncopation SW that I sold because I don't have a jazz gig to play it on -- but man that was a holy grail type jazz cymbal.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a fan of Bosphorus. Of all the Turkish brands, they are my favorite. They tend to be a bit cleaner and less washy than Istanbul Agop - more like a good vintage A Zildjian.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading about them , I believe the next time I buy cymbals I’m going to give Bosphorus a serious look ….

Nubs

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I pretty much play Bos's exclusively. Favorites are the New Orleans and Traditional, although my Wide Ride and Fat Hats are really growing on me.

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve got some 13” dark Antique hats and a 19” Masters Vintage crash/ride.
Like them a lot. The crash/ride is great as a lower volume instrument. Records well.

Last edited:

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been a fan since I won a 16" Traditional crash at the Chicago Show several years ago. Have 14"-19" Traditional crahses of various weights now that get taken to playtime mostly.

Sequimite

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love 'em.

I've slowly moved from Master to Traditional in preference. Sticking with Turks and Antiques. Have also recently favored more deeply hammered like the 25 "Anniversary"/Prototypes and the 21" Lyric crash ride.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a beautiful set of 20th Anniversary Bosphorus cymbals that were made for me that I just love. I have recorded a bunch with them too. They sound phenomenal.

Polska

DFO Master
Reaction score
I jumped into the dark side a little over a year ago by grabbing a 22" Turk ride from a forum member. Loved it right away and decided to pair it with some Turk hats too. Just the sound I was looking for. Besides the Turks and an Antique series crash, I haven't tried any of the other series at this point.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I jumped into the dark side a little over a year ago by grabbing a 22" Turk ride from a forum member. Loved it right away and decided to pair it with some Turk hats too. Just the sound I was looking for. Besides the Turks and an Antique series crash, I haven't tried any of the other series at this point.
The Turk series sounds so good. I had a 22" medium thin Turk ride that was awesome sounding. I've played some 15" Turk hats a few times as well and really liked them.

Polska

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Turk series sounds so good. I had a 22" medium thin Turk ride that was awesome sounding. I've played some 15" Turk hats a few times as well and really liked them.

Agreed! You know, I'm not a big fan of the phrase "like butter" or whatever it is that people say, but laying into that ride or into the hi hats, I get what people are trying to convey. Really happy with my choices.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bosphorus is my second favorite cymbal-maker after Istanbul Mehmet (and related brands like Heartbeat). The two brands blend well together.

My main complaint about Bosphorus is that there's a very wide range of weights for the same model of cymbal. For example, a 22" Traditional "Thin" ride can weigh anywhere from under 2200 to over 2500 grams.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through several a couple of years ago building this set and can say I did not find one cymbal I truly did not like while I was buying different models to match up. I sold them during covid as I was pairing back a bit (6 rigs down to three) when the gig I was using them on went away, but I do occasionally know I might have sold the wrong set!

20210302_230317 copy.jpg

Danny

Reaction score
I’m pretty much exclusively Bosphorus at this point. Fell in love through the Masters series. I feel like the value is through the roof. Looking at similar models of Istanbul vs Bosphorus, I feel like Bosphorus costs 15-20% less per cymbal.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Bosphorus is my second favorite cymbal-maker after Istanbul Mehmet (and related brands like Heartbeat). The two brands blend well together.

My main complaint about Bosphorus is that there's a very wide range of weights for the same model of cymbal. For example, a 22" Traditional "Thin" ride can weigh anywhere from under 2200 to over 2500 grams.
I have noticed the same, but that has made it fun to experiment and see what I get out of different versions of the same cymbal sometimes as well.

I had a New Orleans 18" crash in my pile, and another one came up for sale at a good price on Amazon. So I bought the second one to compare -- they were almost 200 grams apart! I ended up favoring the heavier one, which I never would have expected, and sold the lighter one.

On the other hand, I had a 22" Turk Thin ride that I want to say was over 2600 grams and didn't play as light as I wanted. It was a nice cymbal but I didn't end up having a good place/application for it.