Bossa Nova brushes question

chappy

Reaction score
I seem to remember one of the jazz players on here discussing how a proper Bossa Nova beat with brushes plays the 16th note pulse horizontally across the head in full contact rather that striking it vertically and play off the head. Can anyone hip me to how to do this?

Chappy

jansara

Reaction score
With the left stick in place on your snare for the cross-stick rim shot, hold the brush with the open wires laying flat on the snare, just behind the left stick. Position your right hand so that the thumb is facing up.

Move your right wrist horizontally as if you were playing eighths in time with the pulse and you'll hear the brush sweeping as sixteenths. Keep a light, constant pressure on the brush. Practice slowly and keep it relaxed. Some drummers play the brush on the floor tom.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes when you "added the S to brushes" I said wait; isn't Bossa one Stick one Brush. Above 2 comment's are excellent. i think.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like this variation, brushes in both hands, mixing sweeps in the left hand with taps in the right hand.

EMW

Reaction score
I seem to remember one of the jazz players on here discussing how a proper Bossa Nova beat with brushes plays the 16th note pulse horizontally across the head in full contact rather that striking it vertically and play off the head. Can anyone hip me to how to do this?

Chappy
(For right-handers) You can use either a cross-stick with the left hand against sixteenths with the brush in the right, or two brushes. The benefit of the latter is, you can do "rolls."

For an amazing example of the former, listen to this:

For the latter, this:

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
One thing to note about that Grady bossa is that he’s playing to a 2:3 clave. I think it’s much more common to hear it the other way.

You’re trying to mimic a shekere or even a guiro.

For a guiro effect do the same thing you’d do for a jazz pattern on the ride but using the right hand on snare. Slide the 1 and 3 so it sounds like it. Slide 2 and Slide 4 and Slide.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
Great drummer Mark Kelso has lots of good advise on Bossa Nova. Talks about brush/crossstick about 10 minutes in.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
This comes from something I stole from Bobby Durham on an Oscar Peterson recording of Watch What Happens. It's live from somewhere in Europe; sadly, I don't have a link.

This is how I approached it:

-

I don't know if he tried it right traditional grip or not, but that worked for me at that tempo.

-

A different tune, at a slower tempo and sans trad righty. Frank Severino played on the original - he was from Philly too, so maybe he got it from Bobby or they got it from the same guy. They're both gone, so I can't ask.

Reactions: JDA

bernard

Reaction score
There's a nice lesson on this on Peter Erskine's Everything I Know DVD. He has a shorter version of that on YouTube:

Latest posts