Bottom hi-hat cymbal as a Ride?

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this here? The only time I ever saw it was in 1991 I saw Marty Stewart in concert and his drummer had what appeared to me a 14 or 15 inch very heavy cymbal as his only Ride. I came to the conclusion it had to have been a heavy Bottom because it was VERY pingy. I have actually considered this myself for some possible acoustic gigs I may have coming up later this year. I don't remember his name but he was pretty young and I heard he was the grandson of Kitty Wells.

TPC

Reaction score
When I was putting together a "tiny" set for my young kid, I set it up this way. Old 15" HH bottom as a ride. Sounded horribly high-pitched and pingy. He didn't care - he was four. ;)

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I actually have several different pairs of hats to choose from and it's amazing how varied the sounds are--some lower pitched, others higher, some more ringy than others as well. It just may work for a low volume gig tho

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Steve Jordan used a pretty small ride cymbal in these chuck berry clips from 1986, there are more on youtube. Could be a bottom hi-hat but I know paiste used to make at least 16” ride cymbals
That's one of my all-time favorite movies and yet I somehow had forgotten about Steve's tiny cymbals in it--good call!

mebeatee

Reaction score
Sure have....heck I try all of my cymbals in different contexts.....ya never know....
As per the question....a little too high pitched and pingy generally but good if the music calls for this sound.
bt

egw

Reaction score
I've thought about it. It would sound terrible though. The bottom HH cymbal is always there, and I sometimes strike it as an effect. But I wouldn't want to use it as a main sound.

That being said, I have an old K Constantinople that's around 14.5" and almost 1600g. It's pingy, dark, and super low-pitched. It would be fun to try in a ride application.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did it about 20 years ago when I played "drum & bass" music. Worked well at emulating a speed up ride.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Sabian HH Fusion Bottom that weighs more than many 20" jazz rides lol. It sounds like a Church bell, mega-pingy and cutting. Haven't weighed it, but must be 1600 g.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Australian jazz drumming legend Ted Vining is not averse to riding simple patterns from underneath on his bottom hat (in the open position of course) - it’s just part of his sonic palette: for those unaware, Ted is an artistic genius at painting with sound with great finesse, his entire kit being conceived as a unified instrument. (Incidentally he now believes he is at the height of his creative powers as a musician - and he is directing a jazz festival which opens in Hobart soon too, “Jazzamanca” where he’s playing in at least 2 bands: “Blow” and the “Ted Vining Trio”.)

Last edited:

Latest posts