Bottom on the top

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentioned on here sometime in the past but didn't find anything with search: How many of you play with the "bottom" hi-hat in the top position?

Swapped my go to for the past 15 years AAX Stage hats this way the other day and I'm really digging it. A touch more attack and "tick". I remembered I believe it was Steve Gadd mentioning he did this in MD years ago.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea many times the heavier cymbal is dryer with the appearance of being quieter
(unless whacked really hard)

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got Sound Edge hats now. I wonder how that would work out?
I'm not gonna be the one to try it, LOL!

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentioned on here sometime in the past but didn't find anything with search: How many of you play with the "bottom" hi-hat in the top position?
As a young and very broke drummer back in the early 1990s, I played two bottom hi-hats that I bought separately out from newspaper classified ads (remember those?). If my memory is correct, they were a very mismatched pair: A Paiste 505 Bottom and a Sabian B8 Pro Bottom (or maybe it was a Zildjian Amir Bottom? -- I can't recall exactly).

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remembered I believe it was Steve Gadd mentioning he did this in MD years ago.
From the video below: he had a pair of old Ks, the top of which broke. He then did put the bottom on top and paired it with another cymbal. At one point he used an A Custom on the btoom, that is when Z designed the Signature hats. I think he has since moved on again; in the video below he talks about the cnter hole on the heavier K becoming too large at some point. In the video, he talks about how if he likes a cymbal, he keeps playing it until it falls apart, see the Grover Washington footage, also in the video.

I like finding my own pairs trying out every possible combination, which includes trying two bottoms from different pairs. I ususlly use the heavier one on the bottom though.

Burps

Reaction score
I've been hacking around with some guys in my bro-in-laws studio and the room is extremely bright sounding. He needs to do some more acoustic treatments to help bring down the high frequencies. But since he is taking his time with that, I've tried to come up with a pair of hats that sound good in that room. So I put together a pair that I think sounds really good, period.

I have a 14" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Medium bottom that I picked up years ago. Since I don't have the top to go with it I haven't used the cymbal much. Since it is the darkest hi-hat cymbal I own, I hoped that I could match it with something for that room. To make a long story short, I came around to putting that S.C. bottom cymbal on top of a pre-serial 14" Paiste 602 top. I'm loving it, both in that room and at home. So you never know. I wouldn't have thought that a dry, dark thick bottom cymbal on top would work well over a relatively thin top cymbal.