Bought another Acrolite!

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I'm in Washington DC, and the band has a day off.

So I was walking by a pawn shop close to the hotel when I spotted an Acrolite B/O snare in the window. I had actually been looking for a new music shop to buy a snare stand. But I popped in and noticed the price tag. $40 for the snare and the stand.

I'm not sure, but I think that it's an 80's model? It's more of a painted on grey instead of the powdered silver on my 70's Acro. Can any of you guys guide me towards finding out when this drum was made? Serial number is 3105544.

All in all, the snare sounds good for a few taps here and there. But I'm happy to have another Acrolite to play around with. Perhaps tune it a bit differently, and if I can't fit it into my mix, then I'll probably sell it for the price I paid.

drumbum38

Forum Member
Reaction score
What a deal! Even though the coating is in good shape, that would be a great candidate for the "sand and polish" since you already have one to use. I can't remember offhand who did that here very recently, but it was BEAUTIFUL!!! Better looking than any stock Acro IMO. Maybe someone will post the link. Lots of work, but OH MY GOSH is it worth it. I will be doing that someday when I get another one (on the cheap....like 40 bucks).
I'm guessing 83 on the year. I think that would be the last year of the Chicago badge too. I believe 84 was the beginning of the B/W Monroe. I'm probably wrong, but I will soon be corrected. :oops:

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
For $40, you did good. I saw a Blackro at a local pawnshop, and they wanted $145 for it---no thanks! I bought one off of Ebay for $66, and it was in just as nice a shape as the one in the pawnshop. One of the best sounding Acro's that I've owned had Attack Bozzio batter and snare side on it with a cheap set of snappy snares.

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
You did great, Jay. I have an '86 Acro practically the same as yours, same badge, that I got for $45. I can't quite tell from your picture but mine has the powdercoated grey finish, it's not smooth. Sounds great.

http://www.drumforum.org/download/file.php?id=46496&t=1

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
drumbum38 said:
Well there goes my badge theory. :roll:
:D Mine actually had "6 03" or something, stamped inside the shell in blue ink. I originally misinterpreted that as being a drum made in June 2003, but forum members straightened me out, I had the numbers backwards. It was actually made in March 1986. I was quite surprised, to say the least.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
nice find jayt. almost like buying a snare stand and getting a free drum huh? :D you did well. you wont have any problem unloading it here if you decide to cut it loose.

mike

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yea, it's not quite like my older model. It's smooth, but they grey is defineitly painted on. I was considering not buying it. I don't need a 2nd Acro really... And I'm not on the biggest tour ever, I need to save my money where and when I can.

I thought to myself, "let me leave this here for another collector/player who will appreciate it." It then clicked to me that some parent or dude with $40 in their pocket was going to come in right behind me and buy this drum, and not really appreciate it as much as I could.

And the way I justified it was this. I was going to buy a snare stand from the local Guitar Centre for about $30 as that's the cheapest the fellow on the phone said they had. I went into the pawn shop to see if I could haggle a snare stand from the guy for $20 or so. Since I wasn't sold on the Acro (I don't know what I Was thinking...) I asked him how much for the stand alone. $25 was his response. So I really scored an Acro for $15!