BR and The “Old Whip Cream Roll”

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched a very short, super interesting instructional video from Ed Shaughnessy a few days ago.

He once asked Buddy Rich how he got such a fast seamless roll going, and Buddy told him it’s the “old whip cream roll”, and it was something he learned from the old New Orlean drummers. I’ve been working on this for a few days now, and I’ll be darned if it doesn’t work. It’s more relaxing for me, my rolls are getting faster and I find it easier to throw accents in. And I actually think it looks pretty cool to, and I always liked the way it looked when Buddy did it.

Have any of you ever heard of this method or does anyone here use it?

I linked the short vid below -

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That clip is from the Burning for Buddy sessions...lots of great stuff on those recordings.

Every so often I think about that technique and mess with it on a pad.

Reaction score
Papa Jo often did the same thing when he played brushes. He started the stroke outside of the snare, and came (slid) in sideways. Much less attack to your brush sound, and had that seamless sound like the whipped cream roll.

As mentioned above, Philly Joe Jones also had a great whipped cream roll.

Man when Ed played that roll at the end with the accents, just beautiful! Ed was a beautiful cat, I wish that I had gotten to know him. He did call me out of the blue once, I should have pursued a friendship more, we had a lot in common.

Regrets, I have a few.....
MSG

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Papa Jo often did the same thing when he played brushes. He started the stroke outside of the snare, and came (slid) in sideways. Much less attack to your brush sound, and had that seamless sound like the whipped cream roll.

As mentioned above, Philly Joe Jones also had a great whipped cream roll.

Man when Ed played that roll at the end with the accents, just beautiful! Ed was a beautiful cat, I wish that I had gotten to know him. He did call me out of the blue once, I should have pursued a friendship more, we had a lot in common.

Regrets, I have a few.....
MSG
Oh wow...yeah, that’s a regret.

Ive seen more than one player do it with brushes, but not so many with sticks. The accents also seem to come a bit easier like Ed demonstrated. And Buddy looks very cool doing it, which added to his great showmanship.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, someone recently uploaded the sessions film in it's entirety!
I have the album but I'd never seen all 4.5 hours of the film and I'm finally enjoying it today!
Magnificent!

Yeah man, it's such a great way to see so many outstanding musicians in one place. The entire thing is thoroughly entertaining.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched a very short, super interesting instructional video from Ed Shaughnessy a few days ago.

He once asked Buddy Rich how he got such a fast seamless roll going, and Buddy told him it’s the “old whip cream roll”, and it was something he learned from the old New Orlean drummers. I’ve been working on this for a few days now, and I’ll be darned if it doesn’t work. It’s more relaxing for me, my rolls are getting faster and I find it easier to throw accents in. And I actually think it looks pretty cool to, and I always liked the way it looked when Buddy did it.

Have any of you ever heard of this method or does anyone here use it?

I linked the short vid below -

That was really cool; thanks for posting. This is why I love this forum.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can hear Buddy play an accented whipped cream roll here. You can follow the melody of “I Feel Pretty.” Notice how smooth the roll is...no sense of individual hand strokes.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Yes, someone recently uploaded the sessions film in it's entirety!
I have the album but I'd never seen all 4.5 hours of the film and I'm finally enjoying it today!
Magnificent!

Looking forward to having the time(probably in increments) to watch this. Thanks for posting!