Brand new member, need advice on E-kit for my son

Moon Man

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined, great to be here. Seems like a great community and resource.

My son is five years old and recently started formal drum lessons. He has a crummy little First Act kit that he has been beating on since he was three. He has a great sense of rhythm, loves the Beatles and wants to be Ringo. I feel like it's time to upgrade him to a real kit, albeit an e-kit so he can practice with headphones and not drive his mom bonkers.

A local church is selling a Roland TD-9K2 kit for $500USD. Looks to be in decent shape, and appears to have at least one cymbal added on:

e-kit.jpg

I know nothing about these kits, but my son's teacher (who suggested he get an acoustic kit instead, but that's another kettle of fish) recommended the brand Roland and mesh heads, and said the TD-9 module is a worthy one to buy used. He also said the price was very good for what this is.

Can anyone give me any advice on this? Is there a better place to put five hundred bucks (or possibly four; hopefully there is some wiggle room) toward an e-kit of better quality that will be suitable for a kid to learn and practice on?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

The Moon Man

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hello Moon Man,
I'm no electronics expert but from what I just researched, $500 for that kit is a good price. And I think durability wise you can't beat Roland (or Yamaha for that matter). And they have a resale value. I think $500 will get you a lot less than that (quality wise) Now if you want to get something decent and not spend a lot since you don't know in the end where the kit will end up: (My nephew started playing young and they bought him an Alesis e-kit and he played it like crazy and then moved on to other activities. Long story short, the kit was given away to another kid). You can always buy something decent & new to start off with. Here are some links with some options (I'm not recommending any of these stores in particular, I'm just giving you the links to the kits so you can see them):
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis/Surge-Mesh-Head-Electronic-Drum-Set-1500000206805.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE7--3JYtj-CnvhPdCGf6qBOkTl9aB1b_sHN0CAGdVkTiwYQFWAqyMzBoCxAcQAvD_BwE

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis/Nitro-Mesh-8-Piece-Electronic-Drum-Set-1500000219380.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE79uUSbcwR3xJmNYAmSh7Qi7ulpxlPKTyJ8-96pKdpSZJDsivs87SSxoCKCYQAvD_BwE

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/simmons-sd350-electronic-drum-kit-with-mesh-pads/j52903000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE7_lXyjHNkNG_w9jzxW6iSdA5yrYSDPquxhfLVHvW20wTlW3zuOQcNxoCLDEQAvD_BwE

https://www.kraftmusic.com/alesis-nitro-mesh-electronic-drum-set-drum-essentials-bundle.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=ale-nitromde&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE773-wVvYSjyJMxS-T24-X4yjOY4yfb6RbEmjT_bOQUi2H1QkMqJDvRoCQ9wQAvD_BwE

That last one looks pretty good considering they include a throne, headphones etc.. (ear protection is #1 priority when playing)
Again, you have tons of options in the sub $500 range if you don't want to spend a lot to get your son started by trying something out. Another thing I would do as well is go into one the reputable music store websites and look at what's available one by one and read the reviews.
Hope this helps & good luck!
LRod

Moon Man

Reaction score
Hello Moon Man,
I'm no electronics expert but from what I just researched, $500 for that kit is a good price. And I think durability wise you can't beat Roland (or Yamaha for that matter). And they have a resale value. I think $500 will get you a lot less than that (quality wise) Now if you want to get something decent and not spend a lot since you don't know in the end where the kit will end up: (My nephew started playing young and they bought him an Alesis e-kit and he played it like crazy and then moved on to other activities. Long story short, the kit was given away to another kid). You can always buy something decent & new to start off with. Here are some links with some options (I'm not recommending any of these stores in particular, I'm just giving you the links to the kits so you can see them):
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis/Surge-Mesh-Head-Electronic-Drum-Set-1500000206805.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE7--3JYtj-CnvhPdCGf6qBOkTl9aB1b_sHN0CAGdVkTiwYQFWAqyMzBoCxAcQAvD_BwE

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis/Nitro-Mesh-8-Piece-Electronic-Drum-Set-1500000219380.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE79uUSbcwR3xJmNYAmSh7Qi7ulpxlPKTyJ8-96pKdpSZJDsivs87SSxoCKCYQAvD_BwE

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/simmons-sd350-electronic-drum-kit-with-mesh-pads/j52903000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE7_lXyjHNkNG_w9jzxW6iSdA5yrYSDPquxhfLVHvW20wTlW3zuOQcNxoCLDEQAvD_BwE

https://www.kraftmusic.com/alesis-nitro-mesh-electronic-drum-set-drum-essentials-bundle.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=ale-nitromde&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE773-wVvYSjyJMxS-T24-X4yjOY4yfb6RbEmjT_bOQUi2H1QkMqJDvRoCQ9wQAvD_BwE

That last one looks pretty good considering they include a throne, headphones etc.. (ear protection is #1 priority when playing)
Again, you have tons of options in the sub $500 range if you don't want to spend a lot to get your son started by trying something out. Another thing I would do as well is go into one the reputable music store websites and look at what's available one by one and read the reviews.
Hope this helps & good luck!
LRod
Thanks @lrod1707 , that's great info and advice. Interestingly, my son is taking his drum lessons at our local Guitar Center. It's the closest place to our home that offers lessons, and by far the most affordable (he is five years old, after all). I asked his teacher about getting him a better kit to practice his lessons on at home, and though his first recommendation was an acoustic kit, his second was to get a used e-kit for reasons of affordability - especially since we will likely want to upgrade to a proper acoustic kit at some point in the future, possibly sooner than later. His thought was that a used kit of higher quality (he specified the brand Roland as an example, and mesh heads as a desirable feature) might be a better investment than a new kit of lesser quality, particularly with resale in mind (a point you also made). Kids can be tough on equipment, and we have three young boys so this kit is going to take some abuse. The thought is that the durability of a Roland product might be an important factor.

I appreciate those links though, and will continue to do my research. Thanks for your help.

MM

Moon Man

Reaction score
Wow, those are cheap! Too cheap, IMO.
That's interesting, someone else said the same thing. The kit is set up at the church, and the seller says I can take my time playing/testing it prior to making a decision. Anything specific I should look out for, other than the obvious "does everything work?" Any issues that this kit or e-kits in general are prone to?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was just showing moon man what's out there below $500. Different quality and price points!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's interesting, someone else said the same thing. The kit is set up at the church, and the seller says I can take my time playing/testing it prior to making a decision. Anything specific I should look out for, other than the obvious "does everything work?" Any issues that this kit or e-kits in general are prone to?
I don't think they are too cheap if somebody else said that about the Roland. They are at a good price. Used from what I see is like $650 so at $500 they are fine. Too cheap for me would be at like $300. Then I would question it for sure. But deals can be had all the time. That Roland kit happens to be one of them. And since it's from a church, they might be selling it at that price not knowing it's value or they just want to move it for quick sale for whatever reason. Maybe they want to replace it with something else. Who knows!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In reference to what to look for:
Connectivity issues, cables etc.
From what I've read and seen (I had a Yamaha), triggering issues are the main concern. You hit it and it doesn't sound. Or cross triggering which is when you hit one drum and another one sounds as well. Also check the condition of the heads for major wear. Check that any mounting hardware is not cracked. I had that happen to me once. And of course make sure the functions on the brain work. Other than that, their isn't much else. By the way, consider an acoustic kit now if your planning that in the future. Might want to just do it now. I had a Yamaha ekit and sold it for acoustic drums pretty quickly. And those were for my kid. Just something to consider. Their is nothing like real drums in my opinion. But of course the ekit has advantages which are fun: lots of sounds, silence with headsets if you need it and saves space. And last but not least, since you have a ton of sounds, it's great for practice, sounds, metronome etc.. That also saves money. Expanding real drums is costly.
And trust me, when you get in the hobby you start spending cash because you always want to upgrade something.
You can always make an acoustic kit electric by making it a hybrid using triggers (my case) but you can never make an electronic kit acoustic!

Last edited:

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That church kit is a good deal. No there's not much to look at other than do the pads and module work. Cables can be replaced. The modules are pretty simple and either work or don't work. Its not like you have to do advanced diagnostics.

You might make sure the stands can be adjusted to be go small enough for your son. Fit is a big factor for a kid.

But also you should figure out how he would listen to the drums. I would advise against headphones for a small child, regardless of the appeal to parents! It's hard to know if they listen too loudly. A cheap pair of powered speakers or a small bass or keyboard (not guitar) amp would work.

The nice thing about the roland kits is if he's into it, he can upgrade piecemeal. Parts of my kit today uses some stuff from my 25 year old Roland TD7 kit.

Moon Man

Reaction score
In reference to what to look for:
Connectivity issues, cables etc.
From what I've read and seen (I had a Yamaha), triggering issues are the main concern. You hit it and it doesn't sound. Or cross triggering which is when you hit one drum and another one sounds as well. Also check the condition of the heads for major wear. Check that any mounting hardware is not cracked. I had that happen to me once. And of course make sure the functions on the brain work. Other than that, their isn't much else. By the way, consider an acoustic kit now if your planning that in the future. Might want to just do it now. I had a Yamaha ekit and sold it for acoustic drums pretty quickly. And those were for my kid. Just something to consider. Their is nothing like real drums in my opinion. But of course the ekit has advantages which are fun: lots of sounds, silence with headsets if you need it and saves space. And last but not least, since you have a ton of sounds, it's great for practice, sounds, metronome etc.. That also saves money. Expanding real drums is costly.
And trust me, when you get in the hobby you start spending cash because you always want to upgrade something.
You can always make an acoustic kit electric by making it a hybrid using triggers (my case) but you can never make an electronic kit acoustic!
Wow, thanks! That's a lot of great info. I think we've decided on an e-kit for now. We have three little kids (five, and three-year-old twins), so our home is already super loud and chaotic. My oldest son (the "drummer") is still very much learning restraint and hits the drums very hard, which on an acoustic set borders on deafening. Even with his little First Act set that is little more than a toy, there are instances in which all three kids and even one of us parents are walking around wearing ear protection. When he plays the floor kits at any of our local music stores, he is invariably asked to stop within a few minutes due to the sound levels he generates. I understand that drumming is inherently noisy (for lack of a better word), but he also plays e-kits at music stores, with headphones on, and can pound away to his heart's content. I'm trying to walk that fine line, keeping it enjoyable for him but bearable for the rest of us.

Moon Man

Reaction score
That church kit is a good deal. No there's not much to look at other than do the pads and module work. Cables can be replaced. The modules are pretty simple and either work or don't work. Its not like you have to do advanced diagnostics.

You might make sure the stands can be adjusted to be go small enough for your son. Fit is a big factor for a kid.

But also you should figure out how he would listen to the drums. I would advise against headphones for a small child, regardless of the appeal to parents! It's hard to know if they listen too loudly. A cheap pair of powered speakers or a small bass or keyboard (not guitar) amp would work.

The nice thing about the roland kits is if he's into it, he can upgrade piecemeal. Parts of my kit today uses some stuff from my 25 year old Roland TD7 kit.
Thanks for the advice. The seller of the church kit also has an amp (Simmons DA200S) that he's willing to throw in for a small upcharge. I'm hoping to negotiate it into the deal.

jazzerone

Reaction score
I've been through a bunch of e-drum kits over the years, and for $500 that's a good deal on that set. Your kid will have a blast playing them, and for a youngster that's a key to staying with it.

As others have mentioned, you should take your time and make sure all the electronics are working as they should. Go online and download the TD9 user manual so you understand how the rig works, then go through the kit to make sure everything does what it should. Even for $500 it's no value if you find yourself having to replace pads because of faulty triggers.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, thanks! That's a lot of great info. I think we've decided on an e-kit for now. We have three little kids (five, and three-year-old twins), so our home is already super loud and chaotic. My oldest son (the "drummer") is still very much learning restraint and hits the drums very hard, which on an acoustic set borders on deafening. Even with his little First Act set that is little more than a toy, there are instances in which all three kids and even one of us parents are walking around wearing ear protection. When he plays the floor kits at any of our local music stores, he is invariably asked to stop within a few minutes due to the sound levels he generates. I understand that drumming is inherently noisy (for lack of a better word), but he also plays e-kits at music stores, with headphones on, and can pound away to his heart's content. I'm trying to walk that fine line, keeping it enjoyable for him but bearable for the rest of us.
That's great! He will enjoy it.
Oh I forgot to mention before, remember that on acoustic kits you can put mutes on it & the cymbals. Something like Evans Soundoff. Also you can put low volume heads like Remo Silentstroke and Zildjian & Sabian sell low volume cymbals as well. I know your getting an e-kit but I'm just letting you know options for future reference. Enjoy!

Moon Man

Reaction score
Well, I got it!

The seller was a really nice guy. He took his time and walked me through all the features of the kit, showing me all the different functions of the module and explaining the different ways everything can be configured. He made a point to demonstrate how the dual triggers (head and rim) were all functioning as they should. The kit is in really great shape; he said the church bought it new and it has never left that space. He then let me sit and play it as long as I wanted. It sounds awesome! It's got one extra cymbal and one extra mesh head, as well as a big carrying bag/case with removable velcro dividers. He even threw in the amp for an extra 50 bucks! Not sure I need a big, 200-watt drum amp (especially when the goal is for my son to play more quietly), but I figured what the heck. Seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

Now comes the task of setting it back up. A little daunting, but I have the manual so hopefully it won't be too bad.

I can't thank everyone here enough for all the helpful input. Pics to come soon!

The Moon Man

Last edited:

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let him start on headphones.

Then get him this for 9th grade xmas...

I'd love to see where this kit is by then...

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I got it!

The seller was a really nice guy. He took his time and walked me through all the features of the kit, showing me all the different functions of the module and explaining the different ways everything can be configured. He made a point to demonstrate how the dual triggers (head and rim) were all functioning as they should. The kit is in really great shape; he said the church bought it new and it has never left that space. He then let me sit and play it as long as I wanted. It sounds awesome! It's got one extra cymbal and one extra mesh head, as well as a big carrying bag/case with removable velcro dividers. He even threw in the amp for an extra 50 bucks! Not sure I need a big, 200-watt drum amp (especially when the goal is for my son to play more quietly), but I figured what the heck. Seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

Now comes the task of setting it back up. A little daunting, but I have the manual so hopefully it won't be too bad.

I can't thank everyone here enough for all the helpful input. Pics to come soon!

The Moon Man
Congratulations! Your son (and you) will have fun with it. Glad it's in good shape. you got a good deal. And about the amp, I had that amp and it works really well. Their will be times when you want to play live in the house and that's when you are going to use it. So it's money well spent as well.
Anyways, Enjoy!