BRASS 13" snare... LUDWIG, PORK PIE or YAMAHA?

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Howdy...

The last thread on 13" snares got me to itchin' for a 13" DEEP (6" to 7") brass snare and the PORK PIE PATINA ones keep coming up. I really do not dig the finish and have heard reports of questionable quality.

A brand new LUDWIG black magic 13x7 is only about $320 NEW and they look really great.

Another option... Yamaha makes (or made) a couple of great looking 13x6.5 snares. Wait for a used one of those? There are two on Reverb right now. (Also, AHEAD made a black 13x6 but they never show up. Those look VERY cool)

Any experience with the 13" brass deep dish PP, Luddy or Yamahas?

Are there any other inexpensive 13" deep brass snares I forgot about (please don't say CRUSH...... )?

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a 13x7 black nickel over brass PDP go through my hands in the past few years and they tend to be deal of the day drums, so you may get one cheap. I dug mine; just had way too many at that point in life.

Genr

Reaction score
It’s very hard to argue with Ludwig snare drums. They have made great ones since my grandfather was a kid. I currently have 4 of them. 5 inch vintage supraphonic and tube lug black beauty, and 6.5 inch classic maple and raw copper. All great!

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Recently got a Pork Pie 7x13 Brass Patina but for the first time, I got the gloss version as opposed to the raw ones I kept getting before for the shop. They are great snares for sure.
Is that just a different clearcoat they put on it?

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s very hard to argue with Ludwig snare drums. They have made great ones since my grandfather was a kid. I currently have 4 of them. 5 inch vintage supraphonic and tube lug black beauty, and 6.5 inch classic maple and raw copper. All great!
I own or have owned the same offerings from Ludwig, plus a few others over the years. Agreed, Ludwig is the leader in snare drums. Gretsch doesn't have the same following as Ludwig when it comes to snares, but in the past few years I've become a bigger fan of their offerings. The COB 4160 is a standout in my opinion.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy...

The last thread on 13" snares got me to itchin' for a 13" DEEP (6" to 7") brass snare and the PORK PIE PATINA ones keep coming up. I really do not dig the finish and have heard reports of questionable quality.

A brand new LUDWIG black magic 13x7 is only about $320 NEW and they look really great.

Another option... Yamaha makes (or made) a couple of great looking 13x6.5 snares. Wait for a used one of those? There are two on Reverb right now. (Also, AHEAD made a black 13x6 but they never show up. Those look VERY cool)

Any experience with the 13" brass deep dish PP, Luddy or Yamahas?

Are there any other inexpensive 13" deep brass snares I forgot about (please don't say CRUSH...... )?
Here where things get interesting. Beciase I have not heard a single report about any questionable Pork quality control. On anything. I’d buy their 13 without hesitation.

A friend of mine has the Yamaha. Good drum but I don’t like the lugs. So bacon and sausage for me. I hear you on the finish tho, so maybe the worldmax version ?

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahead 13x6 black brass= great drum
I'm curious as to why the Ahead snares don't get more attention. They appear to be well built, well appointed drums offered by a reputable company.

Personally, I wish there were more 13" Aluminum snare offerings out there, and I'm really surprised that Ahead doesn't offer any.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in the 90's, THE snare drum everyone wanted was the 13x5.5 brass Pearl Sensitone.
Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore....time for Reverb!

View attachment 455435
I played one of these while on tour in Japan in 2001, supplied to me as part of the backline by the promoter. What an excellent snare. I was hooked on DW snares at the time, so I didn't bite on it, but I should've. Oh well, I very much like my SD-495 which is fairly similar.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the Yamaha 14x6.5 Brass and I wouldn't hesitate to get any drum in the series (Brass, Aluminum or Steel) in any size.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why the Ahead snares don't get more attention. They appear to be well built, well appointed drums offered by a reputable company.

Personally, I wish there were more 13" Aluminum snare offerings out there, and I'm really surprised that Ahead doesn't offer any.
I think it's because when you are a drumstick & accessories maker, it's hard to convince people that you suddenly are making great drums. The name Ahead is definitely not associated with snare drums. And it stinks because I also think that they are great. They sound fantastic and seem to be very well built. I want one!