BRASS 13" snare... LUDWIG, PORK PIE or YAMAHA?

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Well, I looked up "World Max Black Dawg 13x7" and that's what came up.
Sorry if the video doesn't agree with you. I was just trying to show some kind of comparison between the two drums.
This isn't warfare. I'm just trying to show f'n alternatives! Sheesh!

Elvis
Nobody attacked you. Calm down.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned the 14" and 13" black over brass Ahead snare drums. I sold them both several years ago. I really regret selling the 13", it was really special.

1600841451759.png

1600841488842.png

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that AHEAD 13" brass snare is the only one I am still considering. The Ludwig/Pork Pie/PDP Ace are just too generic for me: same old WM Taiwan shell, same old tube lugs plus a cheapo bland throwoff... BORING.

I got a line on a really sweet YAMAHA 13" by 6.5" brass but it had the nouveau lugs so I had to pass (I am a big fan of finger-tightening. I have got it down to a science, and those nouveau lugs seem really goofy).

I picked up a DW Design 14" brass instead and am very happy with it (I just had to scratch that BRASS SHELL itch!). Plus I got a GREAT deal on it. The drum probably has a Taiwan WorldMax shell also, although the shell is a different design than PorkPie or Ludwig Taiwan brass shells. The drum really has its own "DW" character and is solid and tuned up VERY easily. Recommended.

Here it is at home:

DSC_0005.JPG

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Pork Pie. I have the 13x7 and the 14x8, they’re amazing. The Copper Patina 14x6.5 is my precious, the one snare to rule them all. I do hear you on the finish, it’s love it or hate it and you never know what you’re gonna get. Bill D. says the weather on the day dictates the coloring, so you may get a nice earthy brown/green or a more psychedelic blues/blacks. (But there’s options... don’t despair. Stay tuned!)

The ONLY nitpick I can think of with PP is yeah, the throw offs aren’t the very best. They work, they’re not bad, but theyre just a bit blah. An easy swap for the INDe universal though, so for $50 more you’ve got a great snare with a great throw. Huge tuning range, warm brass tone, one of a kind looks. Great drum.

The Ludwig is a great choice too. 2 different drums. The Ludwig is that tight, focused crack. The plating (IMO) lends a little definition and brightness, where raw brass is a bit warmer and darker. Aesthetics come into play here too, the Ludwig is a mass produced, very classy and classic look. The PP is a smaller production (even custom if you chose), more organic kinda look.

Idk about your budget, but you could get a 13x7 PP from Bill D. in any of their very cool colors (they do very nice color finishes), maybe request a throw of your choice. OR you could grab a lovely Pork Rub finish:

Pork Pie 7x13 Pork Rub brass snare drum
https://reverb.com/item/11886244-po...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=11886244
1601061133789.png

https://reverb.com/item/11886244-pork-pie-7x13-pork-rub-brass-snare-drum?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=11886244

OR this is probably the prettiest Patina I’ve seen:
Pork Pie Patina Brass Snare 13x7”
https://reverb.com/item/35826624-po...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=35826624
1601061179726.png

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of PP BUT I gotta admit, that brown patina with the polished brass center stripe is a great looking drum.