..... BRASS B/O SUPRA May 1970 ! !

Gizmo

Reaction score
Well gang,
Recently purchased a vintage drum set and I was hoping the snare was brass as it came with a late 50's / early 60's set. It was one of those bad picture adds etc. My heart skipped as it was pulled out of the vinyl bag as all I saw was a round muffler knob in a dark corner. Then I saw the 70's badge and throw off and settled down to reality - still a great haul.

Then I picked it up and man it was heavy and the badge was clipped.

It is having a birthday in a couple weeks as it is stamped May XX 1970 and there is a "B" stamped in the shell behind the muffler knob. It also has that "deeper" chrome hue to it and you can see what almost looks like copper or bronze inside the fold of the bearing edge. No need to file a hole. No flakes or pitts just fingerprints. It's the real deal.

I have heard many a folklore of these but this is a first for me to not only see one but capture it alive and in wonderful shape. Well now we have one of the elusive COB 1970 supras!

Thanks for letting me share.

P.S. Still on the hunt for any Trans-badge COB Ludwig snares.
Cheers!

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Very nice find. Those are great drums. I'd like to find another one myself. Enjoy!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
What a lucky score.

I wonder how many of those they made, and why? They are certainly rare, but obviously they made more than just a couple of them.

Ever since I first learned that these exist I've kept hoping one might turn up locally...no such luck so far. I do have a trans badged one though. Not really the exact same drum as these clipped badge ones are seamless shells (right?) while the earlier Supers all have seams.

Gizmo

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
Correct - seamless KO. Also of note, no crimped beds. Can't wait to hear it / play it. All that said, I have owned some rare drums and was hoping to get a roll call on this one being a bit of a hen's tooth. Do we know how many may exist? I have only "heard" of a couple and this is the first one I have seen.

Cheers!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations... what a wonderful surprise with the kit. I like it when things turn out better than expected!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gizmo said:
Thanks guys,
Correct - seamless KO. Also of note, no crimped beds. Can't wait to hear it / play it. All that said, I have owned some rare drums and was hoping to get a roll call on this one being a bit of a hen's tooth. Do we know how many may exist? I have only "heard" of a couple and this is the first one I have seen.

Cheers!
No idea but they do seem to pop up with some regularity (unless it's the same two drums over and over again). I think you could safely call them "rare" but I would guess there's more than ten of them out there, maybe more like 40 or 50, but that's just a hunch. Even a hundred of them (or the magic Ludwig number of "only 200" that seems to apply to everything from pink oyster, OBP Jazz fests, green vistalites and prototype Acrolites) would still be very rare within the Supra population. I'd say you had an exceedingly lucky score there.

If we had some clue as to why they were made it might lend insight into how many may have been made. Were they test prototypes of some sort, endorser snares, was brass cheaper than aluminum for a spell so they switched production over? We simply don't seem to have the answer but, again, there apparently aren't very many of them.

MCSVT

Reaction score
I own one too, so we know there are at least 2 of them. :laughing6:

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
Congrats, and welcome to the club. I lucked into a 1971 cut-badge COB super-sensitive three years ago. I did a little blog post about some of the information I found on-line, along with some photos.

https://dearlove.ca/2014/07/15/1971-ludwig-super-sensitive-chrome-over-brass

One thing I came across that I found interesting was a post on the Pro Drum shop Facebook page.

hollywood-pro-drum.jpg

Behind Maurie are the famous Brass Ludwig chrome snare drums that Bob made Bill Ludwig make us after bitching about not making the brass shells since 64only 100 made in 5 and 6.5 x 14 ..they have a B under the tone control with the blue and olive badgesstill see a few every now and then.. circa 1972

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
OttawaDrumGuy said:
Congrats, and welcome to the club. I lucked into a 1971 cut-badge COB super-sensitive three years ago. I did a little blog post about some of the information I found on-line, along with some photos.

https://dearlove.ca/2014/07/15/1971-ludwig-super-sensitive-chrome-over-brass

One thing I came across that I found interesting was a post on the Pro Drum shop Facebook page.

hollywood-pro-drum.jpg

Behind Maurie are the famous Brass Ludwig chrome snare drums that Bob made Bill Ludwig make us after bitching about not making the brass shells since 64only 100 made in 5 and 6.5 x 14 ..they have a B under the tone control with the blue and olive badgesstill see a few every now and then.. circa 1972
That's cool information...perhaps the mystery is solved.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I think Atomicdave had two. I bought one of them. I've seen a few more around. Great drums.

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
I've owned a couple over the years. I'm sure I've seen at least 40 or so on EBay in the last 16 years (legit with B at the time control).
On a 6.5 later 70s one that a friend of mine owned (Paiste Bob), the stamped B was under the buttplate.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it in this thread but has anyone seen one of these drums in 6.5x14? Just curious as the facebook caption says that 100 drums were made between 5x14 and 6.5x14. I'll bet those 6.5x14 drums are worth a lot!