• Total voters

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a brass snare, is it
USA or overseas?
Seamed or seamless?

(If you own both, pick the one you prefer for the sale of the poll, please.)

Background:
I’m a big metal Ludwig snare fan. I’ve owned dozens of them, and currently have 6. I own both USA seamless shell brass and import seamed shell brass drums from them, and I feel like I am almost unreasonably happy with the import drum! Wondering if others feel the same way.

notINtheband

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My favorite snare (of the 31 I own) is a Black Panther Wraith. It’s a brass snare that I prefer even over my Black Beauty.
90D26767-8961-4028-BC58-AAEE37256578.jpeg

Last edited:

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it may come down to the actual drum itself or perhaps the model line itself. I have owned Pearl Sensitones (Aluminum and Bronze) for may years and I love how they sound. Have also had the Pork Pie patina and also thought it sounded excellent. I own a Gretsch 4160 which is seamless, but it’s hard to compare that drum to the others because the heavy, die cast rims almost put it in a different category altogether.

Now I am looking to get a 14X6.5 Brass and my mind is spinning from all the options. I would go either way on the seamed vs seamless. I think there is more to it than that and I don’t even know how much of a difference that seam would make all other things being equal.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a mid-1970s 5” Slingerland COB Sound King that sounds better than any other brass snare in my collection. Sensitivity, power, tone - it pokes a hole through everything on stage. Just an amazing sounding instrument.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a mid-1970s 5” Slingerland COB Sound King that sounds better than any other brass snare in my collection. Sensitivity, power, tone - it pokes a hole through everything on stage. Just an amazing sounding instrument.
I completely agree with the Slingerland COB Sound King. I've had many over the years and each has been excellent! I still have both a Sound King and a COB Festival, both early 70's drums. What I like about the Festival is that it lends itself to using an Inde throw-off and butt with no extra holes! The addition of those parts would make the COB Festival an excellent all-around snare drum!

-Mark

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had a seamless Ludwig BB back in the day.

Have a seamed DW 5.5 now. I am just as happy with the DW as I was with the BB.

Good heads, wires and tuning mean more than seamed vs seamless.

Seamed vs seamless might sound SLIGHTLY different, but that does not translate to BETTER or WORSE, just different (but not much).

snare bb.JPG

DW design (3).JPG

Last edited:

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I voted seamless, but I am starting to care less and less about owning a Black Beauty. Great great snare. There are others out there and I can only play one at a time, or at least that’s all I want to deal with.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a 5x14 BNOB Sensitone, and a 6.5x14 Black Magic. Both overseas made with seams. I like them.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Just played my Black Magic again tonight and I’m really into it. I never should have sold the first one I bought! Sometimes stupidity means having to buy something twice.

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time spending a lot of money on a metal shell snare wood is a different story). I recently snagged a 6.5x14 Sensitone BNOB for just over $100. Price to sound ratio is ridiculous. I don’t doubt the Ludwig mojo (I have enjoyed the chrome over brass Supra) but I can fill the brass sound more adequately with a less expensive drum.