Brass snare refinished

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
I just wanted to show off a refinish I did on a formerly ugly and boring brass snare. I bought it off of CL pretty cheaply, it’s a 3mm no name shell, but the color and polish just looked ugly to me. I decided to force patina it, and after several failed attempts this is what I have. I think it looks gorgeous, and now I’m in love with this drum! It finally looks as good as it sounds.

Attachments

• 52D10D1A-15B4-47B1-B768-9EEDE7FEDA2D.jpeg
    52D10D1A-15B4-47B1-B768-9EEDE7FEDA2D.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 15FA9D28-8494-47D0-B61B-5E386D2A5CA0.jpeg
    15FA9D28-8494-47D0-B61B-5E386D2A5CA0.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 72

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
3mm??? those commonly go for close to a grand.

I dig the finish.
I know, I’m always on the lookout for them. I wouldn’t have done this to a spun or cast high end shell (unless someone wanted me to). This one is seamed, although I thought it was seamless when I bought it. The seam showed up when prepping it for refinish. I measured it with a caliper. And it weighs a lot. No idea where it came from, but I didn’t pay much for it considering. I took it to West Coast Drum Shop and they said it was probably a kit drum someone put together. The bearing edges are not perfect. It looks and sounds awesome though, and that’s what really matters!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks amazing! And what a score!

Please tell us what you did to the shell,
"Rusty".......

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, I’m always on the lookout for them. I wouldn’t have done this to a spun or cast high end shell (unless someone wanted me to). This one is seamed, although I thought it was seamless when I bought it. The seam showed up when prepping it for refinish. I measured it with a caliper. And it weighs a lot. No idea where it came from, but I didn’t pay much for it considering. I took it to West Coast Drum Shop and they said it was probably a kit drum someone put together. The bearing edges are not perfect. It looks and sounds awesome though, and that’s what really matters!
If you come to the July 17 swap meet, please bring it. I'd like to hear it.

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
This looks amazing! And what a score!

Please tell us what you did to the shell,
"Rusty".......
Thank you!

I would like to be able to possibly do this as a customization for other people, so I’m not going into details at this time. I want to do some more experimenting first. Drums are expensive so I may have to buy some sheet and experiment on that first. I looked for some raw shell blanks but there’s not that much out there. I have some fun ideas, though!

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
3mm metal shells, cast or rolled and welded, are amazing drums. Rolled and welded 3mm are how Keplingers are, and those are some of the most highly regarded thick shells out there.

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
There will be hundreds of items, vintage stuff, maybe a hundred cymbals ... what are you looking for?
Either a Ludwig Carpathian Elm snare, or an 80’s Tama BB for under a thousand dollars. That’s all.

LOL!

Honestly, I just don’t have room for all the drums I’d like to own and play. I’d make room for either of those, though. Grin.

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
3mm metal shells, cast or rolled and welded, are amazing drums. Rolled and welded 3mm are how Keplingers are, and those are some of the most highly regarded thick shells out there.
Yup, I have a black iron Kep, too. I had to hand pick it though. The first drum of his I bought had virtually no snare bed. The drum sucked, it was unplayable. I sent it back. I found this Kep used on CL, got a good deal on that one, too. I also have a Gretsch Phosphor Bronze. I still haven’t found my Tama 80’s BB though. Maybe someday.