Brasso on cymbals?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i dont clean mine anymore. but i did use brasso on a 70's avedis zildjian a few years back or so. it worked fine for me. as long as its getting the polishing rag a little dark its doing some polishing.

mike

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think copper polish would be better, as most higher end cymbals are composed mostly of copper. If the cymbals are made of brass, Brasso seems like it would work fine. I've heard good things about Wright's Copper Polish.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always steered clear of Brasso because it said on the label not to use it on silver and there is supposedly a bit of silver in Zildjian's alloy. Probably wouldn't hurt anything since it is an alloy and not solid silver (the silver content probably makes for a very minute amount of the alloy anyway) but with the price of cymbals I figured better safe than sorry.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rckuy said:
Use Barkeeper's Friend if you have to clean it.
I have some BKF too. I tried it out on a regular finish Zildjian awhile ago and noticed some light scratching on the surface of the cymbal. It definitely did the job, but I wasn't too happy about the scratches. I tried a more watered-down solution too and still got scratches.

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
AgDrumma07 said:
Rckuy said:
I have some BKF too. I tried it out on a regular finish Zildjian awhile ago and noticed some light scratching on the surface of the cymbal. It definitely did the job, but I wasn't too happy about the scratches. I tried a more watered-down solution too and still got scratches.
Must be something in your rag or sponge ... I've never had BKF do that and most of my cymbals are Paiste where something like that would show up fairly quickly. And has been mentioned before BKF is designed for stainless steel surfaces and is non-abrasive.

I used Brasso in high school to clean our field cymbals. Later we used it on our chrome Ludwig Super Sensitive marching snares as well.

I've just moved on from Brasso personally, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Robb

katfish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
AgDrumma07 said:
Rckuy said:
Was the BKF you used the powder version in the can, or the liquid version in the white plastic bottle? I think that the liquid version would be safer on cymbals.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
katfish said:
AgDrumma07 said:
Rckuy said:

Was the BKF you used the powder version in the can, or the liquid version in the white plastic bottle? I think that the liquid version would be safer on cymbals.

It was the powder version, but I mixed it according to the directions.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used Brasso last night and was VERY impressed with the results. It involves a little more work than Groove Juice :D but I was taking off stuff that wouldn't come off with any other solution and hadn't come off for years.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
My experience with Brasso is that it's really toxic smelling. BKF, on the other hand, is much more mellow--no smell, a bit more rubbing, but it doesn't feel like a chemical reaction is taking place, like with Brasso...marko

Reother

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used it on a little sabian splash cymbal. Worked pretty well, though it looked like it may have begun to take off the logos.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Reother said:
I used it on a little sabian splash cymbal. Worked pretty well, though it looked like it may have begun to take off the logos.

Yeah, you have to be REALLY careful around the logos. I experienced some of that last night. Other than that, I'm sold!

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could be wrong and will be happy to be corrected if I am. I started using Brasso in the 70s when virtually no one made cymbal polish. I found that it ultmately it removed some material from the cymbals. Now, my sweat my have a weird PH level becuase all of my cymbals end up turning a gross looking green/black in color. Consequently I used to do a LOT of rubbing with Brasso and maybe that was part of the problem. Also, I could swear when I would look at my polishing rags that I could actually see a sheen on them that appeared to me to be a micro-level of metal that had been removed. It definitely has abrasives in it where something like groove juice uses a chemical reaction (I think) to remove the tarnish.

Here is a thread you may find interesting on the subject.

http://www.pearldrum...forum.com/showt ... p?t=136354

Steve

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Oh Lawd.
I read about 3 pages and had to stop.
Johan and the kid from Finland were the only posters who presented any valid info.
Read their comments if you want the lowdown on how Brasso polishes b20 cymbals.
For Paiste cymbals I recommend Paiste Orange Bottle formula.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
Oh Lawd.
I read about 3 pages and had to stop.
Johan and the kid from Finland were the only posters who presented any valid info.
Read their comments if you want the lowdown on how Brasso polishes b20 cymbals.
For Paiste cymbals I recommend Paiste Orange Bottle formula.
I'm with you. A lot of ignorance on that thread, except for the Johan and the Finland kid. I do feel better about my Brasso now. It's fairly inexpensive and doesn't take much to do the job. My cymbals look just like they did when I bought them new.

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
DANG, I just got a few minutes to read that link ... that's scary over there!!!

And with the recent passing of Johan that would seem to leave the Finnish fellow the only voice or reason.

I think most people here agree that Groove Juice on a Paiste is anathema. Seems to work best of Zildjian. The cymbals we used in high school were Zildjians and they were always polished with Brasso although I'm sure that we were probably hurting them in that we did it every week for football games and I know we didn't know anything of what we know now.

And I think we've all agreed that over time the Paiste coating will wear off but there are alternatives to producing an equally effective protection.

Robb

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drumstyx7a said:
And I think we've all agreed that over time the Paiste coating will wear off but there are alternatives to producing an equally effective protection.

Robb
Auto wax?

Latest posts