BREAK OUT THE PICS... Lets see your SOLID 1 ply Snare Drums!

SteveParadis

Reaction score
I just wanted to share with everyone my finished single ply Cherry drum. I purchased the Cask Drum Craft shell from @Fat Drummer last month when he was selling it and I got the parts from DFD and DCP. The shell was drilled at the shop at Columbus Percussion.

Chrome over Brass hoops, Gibraltar Dunnett R4 throw off, Sabian Phosphor bronze snare wires, Hazy Ambassador on bottom and Vintage Ambassador on top. I'm a big fan of how this sounds.
View attachment 483882
Here’s my latest: Noble and Cooley 7”x14” SS CLASSIC walnut in sand sparkle. Brass hardware. This has a great smoky raspy sound. Snare addiction is real!
2CF33C47-92A7-469F-A66D-C7A8B315ECC4.png

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Small Finnish drum company called Revolt Gravity Instruments sent me this single ply walnut 14"x6" to test, I really had no intention to buy it, I just promised to give feedback etc.
I was also really curious to hear how completely round "baseball bat" edges would sound on a single ply walnut shell.

I was not expecting this to even come close to my Longo Cherry single ply, I was thinking that this might be too fluffy/soft and "vintage" because of the edges, but, this got me off guard and really blew my socks off.
The drum sounds fantastic!
Dryish, punchy and and sort of compact sound, without too long of a sustain.
But it does not feel like it's missing any energy, volume or the highs like some vintage round edge snares. It's really powerful, with extreme dynamic scale. Exellent sensitivity but doesn't seem to choke when really laid into.
Really satisfying to play even with out any muffling, but it reacts really nicely EQ'ing with bit of tape if needed.
Damn, have to keep this one.

The shell is originally made by Black Swamp, I think. Not 100% sure, but his other snares have shells from them. The round edges are really beautifully made by the builder and lug design is his own too, brass tube lugs, that sen to keep the tuning really well.

IMG_20210624_154548.jpg
IMG_20210622_135412__01.jpg
IMG_20210622_135500.jpg
IMG_20210624_154618.jpg

Jay_M

Reaction score
Sonor 1965 D471 single ply. These are left over 421 shells. 65 was a transition year from 3 ply to 6 ply shells and much of the old stuff at the time was used up including these single ply shells. 3 ply shells feature re-rings, 6 ply feature verticle grain and the single plys will feature horizontal grain which is how you can tell the difference between the 3 models all listed as D471s. Got a Premier mahagony dry bent FloBeam as well.
Wow, thanks for this info. (As I pull an old thread to the top). Never knew the sonor snares were single ply. Had a 421 years ago with center lugs and parallel strainer. Wondering if it was one ply but regret selling it.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone brought the single ply snare thread up last week so I thought I would re-post mine for consolidation. I've had several snares in this thread but I'm currently down to just these two steam bent examples...

1947 Slingerland Gene Krupa Radio King - Legacy Tribute
(6.5" X 14" 1970's Solid Maple Slingerland RK Shell, with a Genuine Late 40's Cloud Badge)

Slingerland Solid Maple Trib.jpg

2021 SUMMIT 6"X 14" African Mahogany Single Ply - ser #91
Single ply, steam bent shell of African mahogany built by Gary Posey, Summit County, Ohio

Summit Solid Mahogany.jpg