BREAK OUT THE PICS... Lets see your SOLID 1 ply Snare Drums!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's cool to see this thread come back up guys, what a great batch of snares you've just added in... wow, I love these things!Keep them coming!

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sonor 1965 D471 single ply. These are left over 421 shells. 65 was a transition year from 3 ply to 6 ply shells and much of the old stuff at the time was used up including these single ply shells. 3 ply shells feature re-rings, 6 ply feature verticle grain and the single plys will feature horizontal grain which is how you can tell the difference between the 3 models all listed as D471s. Got a Premier mahagony dry bent FloBeam as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
Don't know how to post pics, but I have had a true solid, turned from a block of maple, gone. 3 Radio Kings, all gone and currently own a Slingy mid 60s 10 lugs single ply 5.5X14 that is covered in WMP with a zoomatic. This drum, to me, is the best of the lot. Very versatile drum. I have solid DW shell also, that is not built out.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does the sound differ between, say, an old Radio King as opposed the newer solid shell designs?

I was talking to a guy selling a DW/Crav on Reverb and he gave me a pretty extensive tutorial on solid shell drums. His opinion was that Unix was the best he's ever heard [he's owned 35+] DW Solids are a close second [said that the shells are actually made by Black Swamp].

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Craviotto.JPG Here's a photo of my Craviotto "Johnny C" snare. I can't say enough about the fit and finish, and versatility of this drum. It's a true "workhorse" snare that does everything I need.

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are some Beautiful drums everyone.

I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a solid shell but evidently I've been lying to me.