BREAK OUT THE PICS... Lets see your SOLID 1 ply Snare Drums!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know I’ve posted this one a few times, didn’t see if it’s already in this thread, but it stays in steady playing rotation as one of my favorites. Pork Pie built by Bill D. on a Vaughncraft shell, single ply ash with ash rerings. I’ve had a few different hoop sets on it, and these Angels are my favorites.
465654FD-A58C-4536-99AC-D579D2EE2D1C.jpeg
31EE69D7-76B3-44EC-B097-7DFB10DBFD9B.jpeg

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a solid Ironwood shell 12 x 5 (cut from one log) Spirit Drums of Australia once. I was so mad when they sent just the shell and no head, hoops or snare wires that once all that was fixed I never liked it and sold it ....this isn't my drum but similar ...

SpiritDrums06.jpg

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
Sonor 1965 D471 single ply. These are left over 421 shells. 65 was a transition year from 3 ply to 6 ply shells and much of the old stuff at the time was used up including these single ply shells. 3 ply shells feature re-rings, 6 ply feature verticle grain and the single plys will feature horizontal grain which is how you can tell the difference between the 3 models all listed as D471s. ...
Hi Frank,

Thanks for sharing. Here are two old pics of my D421, a lovely drum which I play regularly with a matching kit.

D421 1.jpg
D421.jpg

/Magnus

Reaction score
No individual pix right now, I am having some home renovations done (which is why I have so much time to post recently.) But...

6" Longo Walnut w/ Maple re-rings
4.5 Cherry w/ Maple re-rings
7" Noble Cooley Maple
7" Refinished Radio King Cloud Badge
5.5 WMP Radio King Black and Gold Oval Badge (not in picture)

I think they are all in this picture.
IMG_0720.JPG

Questions, all these posts and only one Zelkova? Hmmm. Are they just hype? What is everyone's opinion of the Zelkova's? My 50th birthday is this year and my wife is looking for a "big" gift?

And does anyone know of anyone who could make me a 15" Solid walnut shell?
Thanks,
MSG

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Questions, all these posts and only one Zelkova? Hmmm. Are they just hype? What is everyone's opinion of the Zelkova's? My 50th birthday is this year and my wife is looking for a "big" gift?
Technically, Zelkovas have no ply. I posted my pic to showcase my N&C Cherry.
The Zelkova has his own unique tone; it's articulate and sharp, but also very warm.
It's a great snare and it's Japanese craftsmanship at his best.

m_anderson

Reaction score
I am highly anticipating my new Carolina Drumworks 13x6 bubinga steambent snare. Should be ready to ship soon. It will be my first solid shell drum. If it works out, I might go with a whole solid shell small bop kit.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just picked up this Beauty from Dan Humphries at Drumazon.

7” Tulip SS N&C. Not like me to go for something so sexy but I could not resist.

View attachment 417942
Oh nice! Thank you for tipping about this seller, ordered this one from them yesterday.
6" x 14" SS Classic.
I have been bit torn between getting 5" or a 7" deep one, so this splits the difference and then I won't have an urge to get another. Hopefully...
Can't wait to get it. :p

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh nice! Thank you for tipping about this seller, ordered this one from them yesterday.
6" x 14" SS Classic.
I have been bit torn between getting 5" or a 7" deep one, so this splits the difference and then I won't have an urge to get another. Hopefully...
Can't wait to get it. :p
You’re welcome, I always spread the word about Dan Humphries and Drumazon. Great Drum Shop, deep inventory, somehow they always get the best one offs and special issues from top builders, great in house photographer and they get it shipped to the states faster than most US companies.

Looking forward to seeing your snare.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You’re welcome, I always spread the word about Dan Humphries and Drumazon. Great Drum Shop, deep inventory, somehow they always get the best one offs and special issues from top builders, great in house photographer and they get it shipped to the states faster than most US companies.

Looking forward to seeing your snare.
Oh I forgot to include the picture. :lol:
NOBLE-_-COOLEY-14X6-SS-CLASSIC-MAPLE-BURNT-ALE-MATTE-SNARE-DRUM-DRUMAZON_01_1000x.jpg

Latest posts