BREAK OUT THE PICS... Lets see your SOLID 1 ply Snare Drums!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Nacci! Yours is absolutely stunning too.
The drum is maple. The finish is called burned ale matte, if my memory serves me right.
Very nice, I wouldn’t have guessed maple, the grain pattern is amazing. Very classy with the brass hardware.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Outstanding planks. Do metalics count?

As in made with metal, or a single ply wood drum covered in a metallic wrap? If it's the first, I think that is outside the spirit of this specific thread....covered in a wrap? Post it on!!!

jsp210

Reaction score
I love solid shell snares, have a few. I wish that I was a better photographer, but here we are...

1990s Nashville Radio King

View attachment 415182

1988 Noble & Cooley SS Maple.

View attachment 415183

2003 DW/Craviotto flame maple single ply.

View attachment 415184

2019 DW Supersonic.

View attachment 415185

Gretsch Stanton Moore Signature.

View attachment 415186

2019 Gretsch Solid Maple.

View attachment 415187
Very nice collection you have there. How are you liking the 2019 DW Supersonic? I'm not typically a DW guy but that one has me intrigued as a Dynasonic COB owner. All the online clips I have checked out on this one present it in a positive light.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice collection you have there. How are you liking the 2019 DW Supersonic? I'm not typically a DW guy but that one has me intrigued as a Dynasonic COB owner. All the online clips I have checked out on this one present it in a positive light.
I like it a lot. It has the sensitivity of a Dynasonic and the powerful rimshot of a good solid maple shelled drum. It is as if a Dynasonic and a Radio King had a child.

jsp210

Reaction score
I like it a lot. It has the sensitivity of a Dynasonic and the powerful rimshot of a good solid maple shelled drum. It is as if a Dynasonic and a Radio King had a child.
Sweet. I just might have to spring for that kind of offspring. Did you get it in 3/8" or 1/2" thickness?

Last edited:

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Unix is great. IMHO, the craftsmanship is at the same level as Craviotto and N&C.
I help the company mostly on the marketing side.

Here's a pic of a recent snare we built.

Beautiful! I posted last month that I lost out on a maple Unix for a steal...kicking myself ever since. I was talking to a collector of SS snares earlier last year and he raved about Unix's quality and craftsmanship and said it's on par with N&C, Crav and DW. He said he's owned them all and prefer's the Unix sound over the others.