BREAK OUT THE PICS... Lets see your SOLID 1 ply Snare Drums!

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Followed link from another thread about steambent rosewood, figured I’d share mine here too. Some may have seen it already.

Noble & Cooley Madagascar Rosewood, 14x7. Originally a project with N&C and forum member Nacci. Beautiful drum, and my favorite wood snare I’ve owned. A pic from N&C, a couple from Nacci, and a couple of my own.

307F511B-01EB-4490-8C4B-453CBAFC4A7F.jpeg
98A1E972-C35E-426B-931A-9DB4DF583F76.jpeg
01C31E7C-C279-4590-91D3-D95177FD9674.jpeg
FD3DA1E2-0138-444F-A4A4-3B60D8E937B3.jpeg
7F7C9184-45CF-42F2-BA61-006AB6CE41A9.jpeg

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I posted six of my solid shell snare drums in the 64th post of this thread on page four. I intended to post some more, and hadn't gotten around to it.

Early sixties Slingerland single ply artist in their sparkling blue pearl finish. I have a 1958 single ply Radio King in the same finish. I sold my last sparling blue pearl kit last year, these days I'm searching for examples of these in silver sparkle.

1593906435662.png

I have a few different DW maple solid shells snares, a few of them were in my previous post. This one is from 2008 in a natural finish.

1593906578501.png

When DW announced the Super Solid snare I ordered one immediately with a broken glass finish to match my Collector's Series kit. These were originally available in three thicknesses, 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4". I ordered the 3/4" version out of curiosity. I've had a couple of different sound men tell me that they shut off the snare mic when I use this. It is thunderous.

1593906752809.png

Recently I had an opportunity to buy a 2006 DW/Craviotto solid shell snare, also with a broken glass finish. I couldn't pass it up. I'm looking forward to gigging with it to get a true measure of what it can do. (It may be a while...)

1593906994517.png

Here is the stamp inside of the 2006.

1593907258305.png

Although each snare sounds like a solid shell, they each have a slightly different flavor.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jiminy XMas Radio King , all those are very nice . I didn’t know Walnut could get that light in shade as your does . That’s really neat looking .

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 2 , A Vigent Walnut and an Artist with flame maple rerings .
Nice! I went to Dale Vigent’s shop last year, as he’s pretty close to me. I bought a maple 6.5x14 solid maple shell from him that I’m going to build a Powertone clone out of.
his shells and finished are super nice!

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jiminy XMas Radio King , all those are very nice . I didn’t know Walnut could get that light in shade as your does . That’s really neat looking .
Thanks Houndog! It actually has a sort of swirl effect as it goes around, going from dark walnut to blonde. The two are joined together at the strainer.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These snares are beautiful!

Are any of these a shell made from a hollowed out block, or are they all steambent single-plies? Do they even make them the other way, carved or cored from a single block?

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Are any of these a shell made from a hollowed out block, or are they all steambent single-plies? Do they even make them the other way, carved or cored from a single block?
Can't say for every single one here. But sure there are hollowed tree snares out there in the market. Most of these are steam bent.

mpthomson

Reaction score
So this is a strange beast in mid rescue... earlier in the year I saw an odd looking Tama drum with 8 very strange turned brass lugs on it. I then saw lots of filled holes and worked out that what I was looking at was a single ply maple Tama drum from the mid 80s and that originally had 11 lugs on the top (something to do with a larger sweet spot according to the catalog, also known as a 'gimmick'!) and ten on the bottom and that someone had rather badly converted it to an 8 lug drum. The turned brass lugs were beautiful though, sold those on.

The original lugs for the drum were those little single point ball lugs that always failed at the thread and as it had been slightly butchered already I decided to put mini tubes on it to make it playable and reliable.

As the chances of me finding an 11 lug top hoop for it are probably somewhat less than my chance of marrying a mermaid I've used Starphonic claws and am awaiting a proper Starphonic top rim for it, due this week to replace the make-do version on the pic.

It then needs the 8 holes left filling/staining. Lovely sounding drum, even if it is a really ugly thing!
The badge placement looks hopelessly wrong until you realise that it's central to two of the top lugs! The badge also looks as it's always been slightly askew from how it fits.
IMG_0998.jpg

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love to see this thread get pulled back up from time to time... I have always had a soft spot for the steam bent shells. I had posted this in the "just bought" thread but had forgotten about this one. I received this last week from Micah at CASK (most likely the same guy that built Radio King's Doc Sweeney shells) ... it is a single ply Cherry shell with Cherry hoops, edged, snare beds cut and oil finished by Micah. I just have to decide what happens next with it!

20200627_140930.jpg

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My solid shells snare journey in timeline is :
6.5” Wells Custom Drums Cherry
6.5” Wells Custom Drums Maple
6.5” Dynamicx/ TRS Walnut
7” N&C Cherry
5” N&C Maple
6.5” Unix Curly Maple
5” N&C Tulip
5.5” Dynamicx/TRS Cherry - gifted to Treviso1
6” Dynamicx/TRS Bubinga
7” N&C Ash

All these have been sold or traded. They were all fine snare drums but the SS snare drum for me is the pictured Walnut SS from N&C. It is my favourite snare drum by far .

The SS snares on my wish list are :
N&C 5” Maple SS
N&C 3 7/8” Maple SS
If N&C makes a Sycamore snare I would be very interested.

Attachments

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

bleen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Kirk Hovland at http://hovlanddrumcompany.com/ hollows out and lathes walnut trunks for his snares - no bending, no ply. My shell is hitting the lathe today, in fact!