BREAK OUT THE PICS... Lets see your SOLID 1 ply Snare Drums!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a beautiful a
14 x 8” Sassafras steambent snare I received as a gift from
a forum member . It is an incredible snare drum with a great grain . I would have never considered an 8” deep snare but my misconceptions went out the window after receiving this . It is articulate , sensitive and sounds fantastic tuned up . Not choked at all . It is incredibly ballsy and fat . This is going to see a lot of stand time once we get back playing gigs .

I was so impressed with the workmanship on this snare and seeing the steambent kits Treviso and Eyedrum received from Summit Drums that I have placed an order for a Steambent kit ( Cherry)

Attachments

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got this in a trade, a Longo cherry 14" x 5,5". Haven't yet played it, but lookwise is really up my alley. I love the amber/cognac shade it has. Made in 2007 so the finish has already aged a bit.

The shop where this was bought few years ago in US, claimed that Vinnie C. had brought it in for sale, but who knows if it's true. Cool story nevertheless...
IMG_20210120_190601.jpg
IMG_20210120_190030.jpg
IMG_20210120_181729.jpg
IMG_20210120_181802.jpg
IMG_20210120_181822.jpg

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got this in a trade, a Longo cherry 14" x 5,5". Haven't yet played it, but lookwise is really up my alley. I love the amber/cognac shade it has. Made in 2007 so the finish has already aged a bit.

The shop where this was bought few years ago in US, claimed that Vinnie C. had brought it in for sale, but who knows if it's true. Cool story nevertheless... View attachment 480842 View attachment 480843 View attachment 480844 View attachment 480845 View attachment 480846
Wow.... Beautiful !Congrats ! l'm going to meet Vinnie in drumhangs zoom meeting next week. Want me to ask him?
My walnut Longo is one of the best drums l ever played....
20200304_210430-01.jpeg
20200304_125756-01.jpeg
20200304_125805-01.jpeg

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those Luka drums...................

By the way solid log and stave [not segmented] drums l find to be more fragile than steam bent and ply drums. They are more sensitive and break more easily... they need extra care. l had to fix 3 of my log and stave drums. But the sound is great.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got to try the Longo cherry mentioned couple posts up. What a freaking great drum, I absolutely love it! Fun to play and records great. It really has that Vinnie pop/wooden "clack" sound, it's attack cuts through really well.
I'm super happy with this.

Did a demo with few different tunings.

Quai34

Reaction score
Why there is so many N&C and Slingerland? Sorry for asking, remember, I'm the keys player of the band....

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Why there is so many N&C and Slingerland? Sorry for asking, remember, I'm the keys player of the band....
There aren’t THAT many makers offering a solid shell (as opposed to plywood). Although this thread illustrates that there are more than I realized. N&C has been a mainstay in solid shell snares for decades, and Slingerland is known for them as well.

Quai34

Reaction score
My two solid Tama Snare, the Star Reserve Mapple and then Star Reserve Sedan, are they steam bent or "digged" from one piece, in the width of the vertical grain?

Last edited:

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My two solid Tama Snare, the Star Reserve Mapple and then Star Reserve Sedan, are they steam bent or "digged" from one piece, in the with of the vertical grain?
Probably steam bent and horizontal grain [not hollowed out] and most probably sound and look awesome

purity

Reaction score
I recently had Gary at Summit Drums make a snare for me. It's a 7x14 mahogany with maple rings. COB lugs, stick saver hoops, inde throw, 30 deg round over edges on the batter side and double 45 on the reso. As several others have mentioned on the forum, Gary's work is fantastic. The fit and finish are top notch and he definitely pays attention to the details. Not to mention the whole build/purchase process couldn't have been easier. My wife isn't a fan of his though because she knows how much I want another one...

IMG_2270.jpg

SteveParadis

Reaction score
00756ACB-D519-40DD-93D6-1D366985329E.jpeg
[
Just purchased my first steambent and wondering if anybody knows this maker. Handmade and hand polished walnut. Called Moxy. Anybody know it? Was told that the lady that made it is a pharmacist in Toronto. Hobbyist garage maker. Need to know more! Haven’t received yet but heard the sound file. Chocolatey!

Quai34

Reaction score
Probably steam bent and horizontal grain [not hollowed out] and most probably sound and look awesome
Ok, hollowed out, this is the term I was looking for, yes they sound awesome, one is my main snare, the Mapple, 14X5 and the Sendan, as I wanted a deeper tone, is the second snare, left of the Hihat...Way better than the Tama COS that came with the kit...But the COS worked well for a long time though so....
I will check better, I can't see the join where the wood bent is glued together...

Last edited:

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, hollowed out, this is the term I was looking for, yes they sound awesome, one is my main snare, the Mapple, 14X5 and the Sedan, as I wanted a deeper tone, is the second snare, left of the Hihat...Way better than the Tama COS that came with the kit...But the COS worked well for a long time though so....
I will check better, I can't see the join where the wood bent is glued together...
Nice ! Isn't it called Sendan ?