header.nohb.html

Bright, Crash-able Zildjian Sought

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My current main band is a typical bar rock cover band: Stones, Springsteen, some 80s pop, Elvis. The perfect crash-able ride eludes me. I need something a little bright, a little high in pitch, with decent stick articulation, but something that will also crash when I need it to. Here's what I've tried so far:
1) Zildjian K Custom ride. Too much stick, not crashable enough, too heavy.
2) Zildjian Ping ride: The pitch is good, but it's less crashable than the K Custom.
3) Zildjian and CIE Vintage reissue ride. This is ALMOST right. I wish it were a little brighter/higher.
4) Zildjian K Cons. light ride. VERY crashable. Too low in pitch and too dark.
5) Zildjian 21" K Custom Special Dry. Here's another one ALMOST right. Not enough crash to it, though.
6) Zildjian 20' K Custom Dry. Please. I have it so I tried it. No. Just no. It's the opposite of everything I want.

Tonight I'm taking a 19" Beautiful Baby ride to try.

What else should I look at? I was thinking maybe an A Zildjian crash/ride.

Thoughts/ideas/help/offers appreciated.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
20" A Medium Thin Crash has become my favorite ride, and yes it crashes great. That is apparently the exact same cymbal as the 20" A Crash/ride you're thinking about, but named differently.

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’d suggest an A Zildjian Medium Ride. The new ones are on the lighter side, so easily crash-able. But if you need more stick definition, used Mediun Rides from the 80s 90s are great.

Of course it’s all about finding a good one - under 2500g IME. I just picked up a hollow logo 20” Medium ride and it’s a nice all around cymbal. It’s around 2500g, but it’s still crash-able. Anything above that will start sounding like a Ping and be a one trick pony.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sadly discontinued 21” Armand ride would be a good choice for what the OP wants .

Not Zildjian but the 20” Paiste 602 Medium ride would be perfect for what the OP wants .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What else should I look at?
bog standard 1960 ish A 20" medium thin old A Rides 2-21xx g Like Ringo and Keith +/- Moon and Mitch Mitchell , used.
The idea is to (stick) shoulder ride the edge (to be WASHABLE) AK and AK types will resist (old K 20s NS's won't)

But you're talking Washable
the cymbal needs to be Flexible

it's an old sound gettable w/ old cymbals clean old As and ride the edge w/stick shoulder

Zildjian and CIE Vintage reissue ride. This is ALMOST right. I wish it were a little brighter/higher.
See.
60s early 70s As
~
If you want the modern version well,

Last edited:

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Try one of those Constantanople (sp) CIE brilliant finish rides from the 70s (IIRC). in the ride weight, that would totally fit the bill.

Another idea is a 20 inch first gen Amir rides. The bell is small but sounds great and this cymbal crashes very well (similar to the Paiste 404 Ride). Of course this will be very bright, actually a nice classy ride sound as well.

Speaking of which, if you are not opposed to mixing, a 20in 404 would be great, or even a 505 Medium.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Try one of those Constantanople (sp) CIE brilliant finish rides from the 70s (IIRC). in the ride weight, that would totally fit the bill.

Another idea is a 20 inch first gen Amir rides. The bell is small but sounds great and this cymbal crashes very well (similar to the Paiste 404 Ride). Of course this will be very bright, actually a nice classy ride sound as well.

Speaking of which, if you are not opposed to mixing, a 20in 404 would be great, or even a 505 Medium.

Here you go......

No ink on this one, but this is exactly what I am talking about.

Make sure you do NOT buy an Amir 2 (shown as Amir ii) - it is a different cymbal from the first AMIR.

Or if you can make this happen....exactly what I am talking about.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
20" K Ride (the lighter the better, 2200 g or less). I have a 22" K Ride that has plenty of wash when I want it to, and plenty of stick when I don't want much wash. My K Ride is 2822 g, which is right in the middle weight-wise, but I tend to play my rides kind of hard.

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’d suggest an A Zildjian Medium Ride. The new ones are on the lighter side, so easily crash-able. But if you need more stick definition, used Mediun Rides from the 80s 90s are great.

Of course it’s all about finding a good one - under 2500g IME. I just picked up a hollow logo 20” Medium ride and it’s a nice all around cymbal. It’s around 2500g, but it’s still crash-able. Anything above that will start sounding like a Ping and be a one trick pony.
Here's the tough part: Picking a good one. The closest drum shop is 1:45 away. Sadly I do most of my purchasing online, and of course cymbal buying online is tough.

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A medium ride, or the MDS Take Five ride.
The Take 5 ride is nice, but my A Zlid. and CIE Vintage ride has a very similar sound. I wish it were a little brighter.

The 20" A Custom Ride (not the medium ride, but the one that just says "Ride") is also sounding pretty good.

jsp210

Reaction score
I like 50s and 60s A Zildjian 18” or 19” in the 1800 gram ballpark for this. There is a 19” for sale here that would tick the boxes I believe.

I found the best crash/ride blend in those sizes and weight range after much experimentation.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're okay with having a designated/labeled crash as your ride...

A little more riding in this video.

Last edited:

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will this be your main/only ride for this setup and are you willing to go non-Zildjian? If the answer is yes to both, I've found a solution to a similar issue with a 20" Paiste 2002 from the late 70s. It's basically the mid-late 70s Pink Floyd ride sound and I've found it to be fairly crashable, too.

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 K Crash Ride or 19 Beautiful Baby (I have both)

Last edited by a moderator: