Broadkaster 135th anniversary snare wire tension woes

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, over the last few gigs I've been using my 135th anniversary BK snare and I've had trouble with wires de-tentionning every 3-4 songs. At first I presumed it was the strings that weren't tight enough (switched to Canopus strings from stock plastic strap, drum is otherwise stock). But upon inspection they are installed nice and tight. I think the culprit may be the strainer's butt plate screw.
20211016_213211_HDR.jpg

Is this a common problem for Gretsch snares in general or BK's in particular? Any advise on how I'd go about fixing this?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
may have to put some of that special sauce (mechanics use..) on those threads.
There's no adjustment on the other side..or wait Is there? May have to balance the two.
Yea it's a Microsensitve. May have to balance the 2 sides (better or lucky etc..

You do look like you're kinda ' far down the Threads' on this Butt side. +/-

May have to drop this side down and Pull out further on Strainer side +/-
Haven't had a Micro in years didn't really love Butt side was the four-point taller one) Oh Boy

Good Luck

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OR a lock nut on this Butt side. Some type of 'Stopper' It CAN be done

Right down on top of it. Double twist-the two. to Lock (they should INCLUDE that...
Just gotta find the thread and the clearance from shell (I'm thinking a wing/nut..

Another same..oh boy..

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
may have to put some of that special sauce (mechanics use..) on those threads.
There's no adjustment on the other side..or wait Is there? May have to balance the two.
Yea it's a Microsensitve. May have to balance the 2 sides (better or lucky etc..

You do look like you're kinda ' far down the Threads' on this Butt side. +/-

May have to drop this side down and Pull out further on Strainer side +/-
Haven't had a Micro in years didn't really love Butt side was the four-point taller one) Oh Boy

Good Luck
Yeah there's an adjustment on the lever side, and I agree that it looks like the butt side is close to the end of its threads.
I try to balance the 2 sides, get a good tone, but after a few songs, I start hearing the wires more and more and I have to mess with the adjusting screws again.

A locknut might do it, or maybe a screw with a nylon locking sleeve?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually "another" adjust nut (upside down or not) like that one (would be convenient may do it too (pretty thick tho)

but where /how/ and who knows how you'd acquire it (G dealer parts book..
(double it up) it's a shame..

"too much vintage/retro goin on"-
Senator Hollings (1979)

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
actually "another" adjust nut (upside down or not) like that one (would be convenient may do it too (pretty thick tho)

but where /how/ and who knows how you'd acquire it (G dealer parts book..
(double it up) it's a shame..

"too much vintage/retro goin on"-
Senator Hollings (1979)
Worst case scenario I have a machinist livng a few doors down from my house, so I could have one fabricated. Might not look great, but it would work, at least.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, over the last few gigs I've been using my 135th anniversary BK snare and I've had trouble with wires de-tentionning every 3-4 songs. At first I presumed it was the strings that weren't tight enough (switched to Canopus strings from stock plastic strap, drum is otherwise stock). But upon inspection they are installed nice and tight. I think the culprit may be the strainer's butt plate screw. View attachment 523312

Is this a common problem for Gretsch snares in general or BK's in particular? Any advise on how I'd go about fixing this?
Before you go modifying the strainer try JDA's suggestion of ensuring the sides are evenly set up, and don't discount the loctite ( mechanics special sauce) idea either. Loctite comes in several grades now and it's color coded for different applications, there's even one that penetrates threads that are already engaged. The one I'm referring to for your issue is made specifically to hold but able to be " broken" when the adjustment must be changed such as new wires being installed...so it will hold your screws till you want to remove them

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Easy way to check which side is loosening up, is to put a small piece of tape or blue tac to the screw's side, memorize their positions and start playing until you feel the snares are loosening. Then check if the markings are in different place.

Have you checked that the strings/strips are tightly attached to the strainer and buttplate? Only one bit loose screw can let the string get loose, and loosen the snare tension.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love the finish on that drum, would love to see a better pic!
What is the size?
It is a 6.5x14 and the finish is called Mahoganny ribbon. This particular snare is a one-off factory error. It came outfitted with 302 stick chopper hoops instead of the stock 301 straight hoops.

I've recently emptied my phone of unwanted clutter so I don't have pics at the ready. And the snare is loaded in the van. I know I've posted pics of it here on DFO at some point, can't remember what thread it was in... Probably the "recent drums purchase" one... I will redo some pics during my next soundcheck (3 days from now).

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a Broadkaster in piano black lacquer, 8x14 eight lug with the 302 hoops, I don’t think I know about the 301’s??

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
301's are straight hoops with Clips (like 1920s/30s etc drums

@pedro navahas

gretsch301.jpg

and that's the "Dark Emerald" ribbon
135th anniversary

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Broadkaster in piano black lacquer, 8x14 eight lug with the 302 hoops, I don’t think I know about the 301’s??
Like Joe said: 301 are straight hoops and the 135th aniversary BK snare came with those originally.

I got this snare from a Gretsch dealer who had a client bring back a snare with a factory defect (don't remember what the model or issue was). They sent said snare to Gretsch, repair was made, but there was still something wrong with it, or in any case it was not repaired to this picky client's standards, so instead of repairing again, Gretsch replaced/upgraded it with this limited edition 135th anniv. BK outfitted with 302's because that's what was on the other snare. The client didn't even pick it up from the shop since, in the mean time, he had become soured w/Gretsch and enamored w/Sonor. So he traded in his Gretsch kit for a Sonor Vintage and I got to pick this orphan beauty up, virtually un-played.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
301's are straight hoops with Clips (like 1920s/30s etc drums

@pedro navahas

View attachment 523376

and that's the "Dark Emerald" ribbon
135th anniversary

So the 135 anniversary is pretty much the floor show that was discussed in the thread a few weeks back?
That emerald green is stunning!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 135th are two full snare and sets one in Green one in Red as dsad has
the Gretsch-EU website is always fun; has "different" pictures than the USA website.

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ya know just when I think I’m set with gear something like this comes along!
Makes me want to go back to having only one kit and use it for everything.