Bronze BB - opinions?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What is the general verdict on these? I know they only made a few for a while, so the old ones might be collectible - but soundwise? I'm asking because there is a new version at a big online store in Europe.
I didn't find a sound demo of a bronze BB online, so I might have to deduct from a lacquer-finish one. Sounds very nice here:
What would the sonic difference be between the black nickel finish and a lacquered one?
What's the difference between those finishes with brass shells?
Here are a COB and a lacquer finish brass one, sounds really close, if not identical?

On a side note: listen to this Supra and BB comparison, really close:
Took me a while, but I'm pretty sure this is the same file twice. If you loaded them into a DAW, I bet the waveforms would be identical.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
They sound awesome! I'm using bronze as my primary snare now. It's metal but with a woody sound. I looked at that Ludwig (my kit is Ludwig) but ended up going for the Gretsch USA custom bronze 6.5x14. I actually liked the sound better than the Ludwig and the price is excellent for a USA made Bronze snare. Paid $440 for it here in the states, brand new! It's my favorite snare out of all my snares. I don't think you can go wrong with the Ludwig though if that's what you like!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gretsch USA custom bronze 6.5x14. I actually liked the sound better than the Ludwig and the price is excellent for a USA made Bronze snare. Paid $440 for it here in the states, brand new! It's my favorite snare out of all my snares.
Sounds really nice, kind of chunky with the dc hoops. I've never seen a Gretsch bronze drum in person, and not many Ludwigs.
I think I'll go for the Ludwig! Has a sweet ring to it. Not cheap but ok compared to the other bronze/brass Ludwigs over here (ykes!).

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sounds really nice, kind of chunky with the dc hoops. I've never seen a Gretsch bronze drum in person, and not many Ludwigs.
I think I'll go for the Ludwig! Has a sweet ring to it. Not cheap but ok compared to the other bronze/brass Ludwigs over here (ykes!).
Yeah, I actually like the diecast. Still getting used to it but I'm sure they are part of the sound that the drum produces. I'm sure you'll love the Ludwig, it's a beautiful snare. Enjoy it and post some pics when you get it.
LRod

jaymandude

Reaction score
I have Blue Olive versions in 5 and 6.5. And I've owned a brass 5. The bronze is wetter somehow, it seems fatter to me, and doesn't have that BB honk that all the Black Beauties I've played seem to have. I'm not a die cast guy so I stay with triple flanged, tho the die cast dries out that ring, at the expense of your hands. ( rim shot backbeats)

The end of the 70's BB I was told Ludwig had gone to bronze shells. But anything is possible...

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bronze BB should arrive on Monday :)
Smooth, wet, fat sounds good, but I could imagine the different finishes are mostly visual.

Brass vs. bronze is another interesting question. How would you describe the difference?
I have some brass drums, but with different shells and hoops. I might be able to compare the bronze BB to a 2000s brass one at a friend's studio in summer; thinking about it, I could also bring an alloy Supra and we could put them through their paces. I have a hunch that with all identical parts the differences will be rather small.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bronze BB should arrive on Monday :)
Smooth, wet, fat sounds good, but I could imagine the different finishes are mostly visual.

Brass vs. bronze is another interesting question. How would you describe the difference?
I have some brass drums, but with different shells and hoops. I might be able to compare the bronze BB to a 2000s brass one at a friend's studio in summer; thinking about it, I could also bring an alloy Supra and we could put them through their paces. I have a hunch that with all identical parts the differences will be rather small.
To me, Bronze sounds a little bit darker than an equivalent brass drum, maybe slightly warmer with rolled off highs. Will sound a little more ‘woody’.

I had a hammered brass and hammered bronze Ludwig at one point in the same size, and this is what I found.

jaymandude

Reaction score
The older hoops maybe a big difference on these, the original 1.6 are the best for me but I gotta muffle the drum

nolibos

Reaction score
I like the way bronze looks with my champagne sparklies.
image.jpg

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the way bronze looks with my champagne sparklies.
The hammered bronze in particular always looks great.
So you seem to have chnaged the top hoop to die-cast - does it sound similar to the Gretsch above? Is this a zinc or aluminum (Yamaha) die-cast hoop?