Bronze Snares - what the hell happened $$$???

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm not sure if it's just me but used drum prices have recently reaaaaaally gone up. Less than a year ago I remember seeing tons of acrolites and supra's for 150-200 (5") and 275-350 for (6). Now I'm seeing that number almost double. Not just with acro's but across the board.

The one thing that stuck out though is bronze snares. I've seen these just keep climbing up and up - even older ones like the old bronze rocker is now selling for 500-600.....and they were only 75-125 a few years ago (at most even).

Anyone know why bronze snares have skyrocketed? Even the bronze cymbals or Paistes and everything have stayed relatively flat - so what gives?

tomo221

Reaction score
Ludwig discontinued all USA bronze snares last year, so that’s certainly part of it. Im sure recent supply chain issues don’t help either…

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the sense, which is purely anecdotal, that bronze drums in particular have gained in popularity over the last few years. That would help explain what you're seeing, if I'm correct.

But inflation is probably the strongest factor. I occasionally use the DFO archives to get info on drums, and I can only chuckle at how some of the valuations haven't held up.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Ludwig discontinued all USA bronze snares last year, so that’s certainly part of it. Im sure recent supply chain issues don’t help either…
Very true and I often forget they cancelled. Lord knows I wanted a 8x14 bronzephonic and only the hammered are out there.

Thank you!

Ajbambino

Reaction score
I am not buying anything right now unless I absolutely have to have it. As long as idiots keep paying these prices they will keep going up.
Dang good point and very true

It's even weirder cause during the beginning of the pandemic there wasn't a whole lot of stuff but it seemed like stuff was kinda high originally, then went to dirt cheap prices, and now they took off like crazy

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I was browsing Sweetwater yesterday and noticed QSC speakers and Mixers all up nearly $200 and also mostly out of stock with a note that there's a delay, so perhaps not just a bronze issue.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
I was browsing Sweetwater yesterday and noticed QSC speakers and Mixers all up nearly $200 and also mostly out of stock with a note that there's a delay, so perhaps not just a bronze issue.
Yeah I mean I understand the supply chain issues worldwide and we're seeing it happen while also at a time of massive inflation (the transitory jargon was the dumbest thing I've ever heard them say and pretend to justify).

But yeah, who knows - we shall see how it plays out!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's prep for 2030

andy80.jpg

man they gonna have a tough time clearing the garages and houses full of 100 years of cap consumption..

Last edited:

goodcat1337

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The cheapest bronze snare I've seen are the Pearl Sensitone phospher bronze ones. They're going at about $550. I saw a PDP Concept Bronze snare on reverb for $950 and had a chuckle.

ludwigjim

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm not sure if it's just me but used drum prices have recently reaaaaaally gone up. Less than a year ago I remember seeing tons of acrolites and supra's for 150-200 (5") and 275-350 for (6). Now I'm seeing that number almost double. Not just with acro's but across the board.

The one thing that stuck out though is bronze snares. I've seen these just keep climbing up and up - even older ones like the old bronze rocker is now selling for 500-600.....and they were only 75-125 a few years ago (at most even).

Anyone know why bronze snares have skyrocketed? Even the bronze cymbals or Paistes and everything have stayed relatively flat - so what gives?
I remember when Ludwig advertised the bronze shell as, " the warmth of wood with the crispness and crack of metal." Best of both worlds I guess,,

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All these overpriced snares aren't worth the money. Seriously, I wouldn't pay over $350 on any snare drum. If you need your snare to sound different, buy different heads and change out the wires. Steel snappy vs copper puresounds are night and day different sounding. Grab a wood snare, a steel or aluminum snare and a brass snare and you should have just about every base covered to 98% of all music with heads and snare wire options. Everything beyond this is about vanity.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a feeling of having your sound dialed in that might be worth quite a bit to some. While you can change a lot by using different hoops/heads/wires, the basic shell remains the same. If the shell sound isn't really what you like, no change of parts will get you there. I've tried it all! Now, all my snare have basic heads and wires, to get an idea what they can do, and some are just a bit better sounding, to my ears, than others. is it worth the money? That's up to the individual.
Over the last three years I got two bronze shell drums. While very nice and balanced, they didn't end up on the tracks I recorded, these were always brass. Not as round sounding, but more present.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always say it's good to be rich. Because you can buy that piece of gear that you think will make the difference, and once you realize it didn't, you can get back to work on what will.