Bronze Snares - what the hell happened $$$???

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always say it's good to be rich. Because you can buy that piece of gear that you think will make the difference, and once you realize it didn't, you can get back to work on what will.

Over the holidays, between the years, I made the best investment drumwise that I've made for a long time - a new practice pad. Nothing fancy, it just feels nice and produces just an honest "plop" sound that tells you what you need to work on.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
7990560B-2DD0-4CFA-A688-DE7DD8EA6DC3.jpeg

Brand new just received a few weeks ago , can’t stop playing it , absolutely love it. They wouldn’t budge on the price. $979. And trust me I get the biggest deals everywhere. Not on this one. Worth every penny.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned smooth and hammered Ludwig Bronze snares and just found them to dry and thin sounding . I far prefer the Black Beauty with the brass shell . This is not to say the bronze shell snares don’t have their applications , they just aren’t for me . I must admit that every Ludwig bronze snare I bought used I sold for a nice profit .

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You just have to hold out, reasonably priced ones show up. My only snare has been bronze, and I just found the shallower one. Now all I need is to find the 13x3 black nickel over bronze and I’m done.

They’re not for everyone.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wasn’t aware of that. Anybody know why they discontued the bronze snares?
I have a good friend here in town who worked at the Monroe Ludwig factory from 2013 - 2020. I asked him this very question when I first heard they were being discontinued. He said it was due to the fact that the bronze shells never sold that well, as compared to their brass, aluminum and maple shells which move quickly. Further, he explained that when Ludwig ordered the bronze shells, they couldn't just order 20, 50, 100 at a time. They had to buy in bulk: 800-1000 at a time. The unsold shells took up a lot of storage space, so they quietly stopped ordering new shells and slowly sold the remaining stock.

mattr

Reaction score
9D78B964-44E6-4C0D-9D54-FC23F8C36032.jpeg
Pick this up for $140 from Daddy’s Junky 15 years ago… No snares and a broken head. Chrome is flaking off the hoop, but otherwise Winning!!!

I think bronze really is a good blend of metal compared to wood… dry and warm and more tame than a brass shell. This snare is incredible sensitive too.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
Wow! Looks like a skyscraper! I wonder how it tunes up?
I have a Black Beauty Brass and Copperphonic Raw , both with the same specs as the Hammered Bronze … all at a medium high tuning right now … and they are simply beautiful sounding , three of the best metal drums in my collection ,,,, And all three can be tuned down to middle earth.

healthie1

Reaction score
It's only specific gear.

I've had my red vistalites up locally for $1500, then $1200; very few bites. I have 2 beginner sets up, with hardware, for $200 & $350; no bites.

I know for myself I think I'm at the end of the line in terms of trying to flip gear; it takes up too much space and most of the time the profit is barely worth it.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Who else makes bronze snares? I know Canopus does. I think Mapex had one years ago I played that sounded good.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
All these overpriced snares aren't worth the money. Seriously, I wouldn't pay over $350 on any snare drum. If you need your snare to sound different, buy different heads and change out the wires. Steel snappy vs copper puresounds are night and day different sounding. Grab a wood snare, a steel or aluminum snare and a brass snare and you should have just about every base covered to 98% of all music with heads and snare wire options. Everything beyond this is about vanity.
I couldn't agree more man.

Again, it's one thing if you're a collector or something like that....or like if it was Bonzo's Snare! But yeah, sonically and musically, absolutely right.

I have more than enough snares to keep me for the rest of my life. For me though, I always just dug the analog experience of working with them and restoring them just because I like to work with my hands (especially after being on a computer and conference calls for 8-10 hours a day). That, and bringing new life to them.

But yeah, like when bare shells in not great shapewith no lugs are almost the same as the whole drum - it kinda defeats the whole thing. At that point I'd just disassemble a snare completely and reinstall everything just to keep myself busy and that's just insanity.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
View attachment 537856 Pick this up for $140 from Daddy’s Junky 15 years ago… No snares and a broken head. Chrome is flaking off the hoop, but otherwise Winning!!!

I think bronze really is a good blend of metal compared to wood… dry and warm and more tame than a brass shell. This snare is incredible sensitive too.
Yeah for me the bronzephonic is exactly what I want in a snare.

It has such a beautiful warm and darker pop compared to aluminum. I know I get a lot of hate but I absolutely despise brass snares. They always remind me of Chris Farley speaking into the fan from Tommy Boy for some reason - weird raspy, not really pure, and almost like I'm really drunk. Not a fan of it. Kinda like if you listened to zeppelin on vinyl but slowed the speed down a little bit and it skips occasionally - just can't do it.

But the bronzephonic smooth is where it's at for me, and 8" deep if possible but I can work with 6.5". The hammered is too dry and I feel like it sucks the life outta it. I also feel that way about Evans heads and people who love dampening - so I mean that kinda tells you a lot about my preferred kinda sound.