Brooklyn tagz snare by Lang percussion

billyward

Reaction score
Honestly besides curiosity, I think I bought this drum due to may people's ragging on it. I don't care one way or another about how a drum looks so it was an easy decision to buy something at a bargain price that the drum maker believed in and put good effort into. There certainly are many drummers out there that want nothing to do with a stained wood drum. People have different tastes. I stopped caring about looks long ago. ALL drums are beautiful!

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I expected a professional, honest opinion like that from you Bill, now im very much anticipating your review of the drum itself.
You got yourself one hell of a deal that's for sure...Lets hope the message gets out there.

billyward

Reaction score
The Tagz snare arrived today and the drum is incredible. I have approx. 12 snare drums and try to keep it at or below that number. Many of them are for a specific purpose, such as "this is my Tom Petty backbeat snare drum" or "this one works great with this particular drumset." I have a particular love for the early craviotto snares, specifically the solid/select brand snare drums. They have "the meat" but they are also beautiful with all dynamics. The Tagz snare reminds me of those solid/select snares. It is definitely built for rough play but it sounds like an orchestral drum - a jazz drum - it's a freaking beautiful drum, very sizzly and I love that quality the most in this drum. There appears to be no special science here in its design other than being incredibly well made. I suppose the Tagz press release words such as "proprietary snare bed" and such are not jokes, but for real. The shell is beautiful in simplicity. The edges razor sharp. The throw is great - looks totally Bb, average, like perhaps another cheap strainer, but it is one of the smoothest I've ever used - plus it throws the snares further off the head more than many other throws. This drum makes me want to hear the pretty wood snare with die cast hoops the same company makes. Also, it doesn't really look bad at all to me. For one thing, the wrap doesn't appear to be a wrap - it is obviously thinner than most wraps. That said, I do wish the hardware was chrome because I like to experiment with hoops to make sure I'm getting the most out of each snare. I have a DW drumset that John Good made for me in the early nineties because I wasn't fully in love with what I was hearing and playing on my DWs. It's an all-spruce shelled drumset and it is now more than 25 years old - black sparkle lacquer with a subtle (shows when light hits the drums) purple wide stripe in the middle of the three drums (bass and two toms). They are very full sounding-louder than most drums. I suspect this snare will live with that kit but it will always be a contender for recording as well.

I'm not normally that guy who will rave about something such as I have here. Some of this may have to do with the fact that I got the drum so cheap - and also I confess to hoping to influence one of the earlier naysayers here on this site to investigate this snare drum.

Artists who endorse things: I see drummers throw their name around for most any reason. I remember (probably 20 yrs ago) a very nice guy who sent me a glass snare drum to review and I told him the truth as I saw it. It was a mess. Then I saw other drummers that I know personally give great reviews of the same drum. Are they deaf or will they say anything for a free snare or to see their name in writing somewhere? I'll never know, but I asked this nice man to be careful with spending lots of his own money on selling that drum. (If I remember correctly it had no snare bed for one thing) Anyway, the Tagz snare is no joke. It's a keeper for sure! I think I got my moneys' worth on this one!

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a beautiful day. Sun is shining, just got back from playing with my worship band, spent an hour with some really decent people, and got to forget the insanity going on all around us...for awhile anyway.
AND,Bill Ward praised a snare drum made by my dear friend Arnie Lang, which is no surprise to me.
There is a lot I would like to say about the insulting attack on one of the nicest, honest, most decent gentleman I,ve ever known. A man who has contributed tirelessly to our industry with innovation and education and on and on...But I wont, I think Bill said it all, and then some. Besides im a Christian and it wont look good if I stoop to their level....lol
After you spend time dealing with liars and cheaters, and foul mouth self proclaimed experts, it finally dawns on you that these people are not even aware of how shallow they are, but its them that we need to draw strength from.
Talk to Arnie, and he can tell you things about people that would curl your toes, things you cant understand.
Like Arnie says, "don't waste any time at all with people who just don't get it"
Bill, is it ok with you if we talk a little about Tagz products in private?..Thank you once again for your honesty in your evaluation of the drum. Blessings.

billyward

Reaction score
Wayne, sure I'll give you my contact info. I don't believe I've met Mr. Lang- please pass my best wishes on to him. Personally I don't see that people here were personally attcking anyone in their comment - they were having a bit of fun. The internet is weird and people say things on it that they would never say in person.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great Bill, thx a lot. This issue goes back farther than you can see, but its over and it wont be re hashed, at least by me. Trust me though, the insults were not done in fun, they were meant to "insult"
We will talk soon.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
Glad you like it!!! I am not a collector or drum hoarder or one who needs many drums, I have 3 snare drums. I wanted to sell this one as new and unplayed, hope it serves your needs! What about those fat tension rods???

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a nice informative long chat with Billy regarding his new Tagz snare drum, and I can tell you that drum is going to be very busy, very soon. Its a professional drum made by an accomplished musician and educator who knows what he,s doing.
They truly are a do it all drum.
Anyway, I have 3 left in Ontario for sale if you're interested. Look them up at Steves shop, and do read what Billy Ward had to say about them on this thread.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow.......
1) A real pro who only has 12 snares. I feel like an idiot with 30+ and telling myself to "cap" it at 40.......thanks for the self-reflective moment, Mr. W.
2) I've never heard of Mr. Lang before this post.
3) To me, although the price was good, I just didn't like the industrial wrap nor am I a huge fan of black hardware (I have one snare with all black on polished brass). It has certainly piqued my interest in these snares. Not sure if I would buy one without playing it, but if I come across one in person, I will definitely stop and smell that apparent rose....thanks, OP.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy...Have you taken a moment to look up Arnie Lang and see the incredible work he,s doing?

billyward

Reaction score
Wow.......
1) A real pro who only has 12 snares. I feel like an idiot with 30+ and telling myself to "cap" it at 40.......thanks for the self-reflective moment, Mr. W.
2) I've never heard of Mr. Lang before this post.
3) To me, although the price was good, I just didn't like the industrial wrap nor am I a huge fan of black hardware (I have one snare with all black on polished brass). It has certainly piqued my interest in these snares. Not sure if I would buy one without playing it, but if I come across one in person, I will definitely stop and smell that apparent rose....thanks, OP.
Hey Jazz drum guy - I feel the same way about bth black hardware and unconventional wraps - that said, I am still going back to playing this drum from time to time - it really has a thing - feels as if it can do anything! I was going to put die cast hoops on it but then realized that the custom thicker tension rods would not fit on any conventional hoop! :( Its still a keeper though. I'm going to keep my eyes out for one of the more exoensive lang snares now and hope for a deal or trade.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Billy...Are you referring to the 3 way tuning system that Arnie offers?...wh

Latest posts