header.nohb.html

Brothers and sisters

McLovin’ me Ludwigs

Reaction score
Has anyone gigged with family members, siblings? If so, how was it and for how long? My younger bro and i did for a while (less than a year). We Ended up like the Davies. Not like the VanHalens or Vaughans

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was 12 or 13 I sang in a Christian folk group with my older sister called The New Day Folk Group. Her friend, the second guitarist had a Fender she named Freddie.

And, we sang at the church that my future wife attended and I didn't know her at the time.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My older brother and I played in bands together on and off for over forty years.

We had of share moments that were "Kinks like". We also had a lot of good experiences over the years.

The "Another crazy story from my youth for your amusement" thread is from the early years.

Last edited:

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
My brother-in-law threatens to bring my sister into a new band he created. My sister is a renowned symphonic player and he wants to do operatic conducting. I am a hack who has a song that still earns an occasional ASCAP payment LOL

Cpb282

Reaction score
If you include playing locally, my 3 kids (ages 13-17) are about four years in to gigging together. But we’ll lose the drummer to college next fall.

They’ve probably covered 70+ songs, and just a few weeks ago started on some originals.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No siblings, but cousins like brothers.
The band was good but one person always thinks he is the best musician in the band, so wants things to be his way. We moved to different countries and we only jam every few years when we reunite just for fun. Last time we played at a wedding this past Summer, I have been playing with them since I was 11-12.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I have no siblings, I have played a few dates with my Son-in-law who is a gigging sax player... had a BLAST. The Hall & Oates tribute I work for is a family affair to be sure, the base player is the MD as well as being "Darrel's" dad and his daughter is a background singer. All three can sing their ever lovin' rumps off, I call the band the "VonDuke Family Singers"!

The only time in the night she comes out front, with dad in the background...

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 07-07-09 Ward Wilson (@wardwilsondrums) • Instagram photos and videos...jpg

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m really the only musicians on my side of the family. My wife and I plat together all the time - as a duo, with a 9-piece band, and we’re responsible for the music at our church. We’ve played on many occasions with 4 of our 5 kids as well - they are strings players.

rkingston

Reaction score
Does it have to be a sibling? How about a parent? I've been able to perform with my dad a couple times, and it meant the world to me.

See, when I was a little kid, he had been in a very in-demand GB band in New England, for some 25 years or so. Same guys. Good group. But he eventually quit music completely to help raise his family. I took up drums around age 10 and as I discovered the wonders of making music, I just couldn't understand why he'd ever have given it up.

Fast forward 15 years, and he had begun playing again. When my older brother got married, my dad and his old bassist (the JP at my brother's wedding, and then my own several years later!) played a couple of the dances, and I played drums with them. Nothing fancy, but it wasn't about that.

He's completely untrained and considers himself a hack, but he knows his way around a guitar, and to me he's one of the greatest musicians I know. Playing with him at my brother's wedding is one my fondest memories.

Cpb282

Reaction score
If you include playing locally, my 3 kids (ages 13-17) are about four years in to gigging together. But we’ll lose the drummer to college next fall.

They’ve probably covered 70+ songs, and just a few weeks ago started on some originals.
And here is a short clip of them: