Brought home some Psych Red last night.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't had much extra "drum money" since buying a sports car that is eating ALL my extra cash (and then some). Still a couple year's payments to go too. So I haven't been buying too much drum related stuff of late.

Last week I got a call from a local guy I have known most of my life. He's a few years older than me but his younger brother was in my class in our small town. Both of them played drums. As a matter of fact it was a visit to his house in the late sixties with my classmate that was one of the things that set me on the path towards wanting to be a drummer myself. In their basement Brian (the older brother) had a brand new shiny set of Ludwig drums that were the first drum set I ever saw close up and in person and they really made an impression on me. Every time I ran into Brian I'd ask if he still had those drums and he'd always answer "My '68 Psych Red set? Yeah, I've still got 'em and I'll never part with them".

But now he's in the midst of a very messy divorce after a nearly 40 year marriage and calling me wondering if I'd be interested in the set. He had a particular price in mind and was unwilling to budge from that amount (despite the fact that it sounded like A: he needed the cash desperately and B: If the drums stayed in his possession long enough his soon to be ex might end up with them). I told him I'd be very interested if I had the money but that I didn't have anywhere close to that kind of money to spend. He knocked off $200 because he said he'd prefer the drums end up in my hands but said he wouldn't accept a penny less than that. I told him I appreciated that but even if he cut his price in half I couldn't swing the deal. So I told him I'd see what I could do about finding someone else that might want to pay his price but never quite got around to that. Truth be told the price was a bit high (IMO) and if they had been almost any other more common color I wouldn't have even considered them (I need another drum set like I need a hole in the head).

Yesterday morning my boss hands me an envelope with a bonus check in it that I hadn't been expecting and suddenly I had just enough (almost to the penny) to buy the drums. I'm not sure it was the smart thing to do (in fact I'm sure it wasn't) but I gave him a call to see if he still wanted to sell. He did although he seemed to forget about the $200 he had said he'd deduct from the price for me. At this point I hadn't seen the drums as yet. I'd seen them on various occasions thru the years and I knew there was some fading (as is common with this finish) but otherwise wasn't sure of the condition. He sent me a picture and they looked better than I expected. Also the B/O badge told me that he hadn't bought them in '68 nor were they the drums I had seen in his basement that day in the late 60's. Still I had been somewhat "after" this set for years (decades actually) and now it was within my grasp. So we struck a deal, at the special only for me $200 off price. and I loaded up the drums.

I did get screwed a bit in my haste, While we were discussing the price I never really asked what it was I was buying, assuming I was getting the whole set with hardware and possibly even some 60's Zildjian cymbals thrown in. But when we went to get the drums he brought out just the four wrapped drums and the tom holder and said "okay thanks". I did ask about the snare, and he grudgingly agreed to throw that in for "free" (Supra) and went back into his house to retrieve that as well. I had hoped to at least get the 1400 cymbal stands and speed king as well but that wasn't a huge issue for me. When I initially walked into his living room and saw another newer set (import Ludwigs) I knew I wasn't likely to be getting any cymbals in the deal.

So anyway I now have a Hollywood set in Psych red. They are date stamped from March of 1971 (so much for the keystone badged early issue ones I had been picturing). I guess the set I saw in his basement all those years ago that so impressed me was the Blue Sparkle set he said he traded in for these. They are faded in the usual way but not full bore "Patriotic Mod" (red, white, and blue). Very few spots are nearly white and in some areas the green remains pretty strong. I might try the sharpie trick on them to see if I can bring the greens back. The underside of the bass drum isn't faded at all and gives a hint of how cool these looked originally. Overall they are in decent shape for a set that was pretty heavily gigged early on by a guy who didn't have cases. Some scratches here and there, a couple of the badges are a bit beat up but overall no gaping snare rash on the toms or tom rash on the bass. He had the front hoop and claws and T rods put away and dug them out when I asked about them. All the drums have 30 year old hydraulic heads on them so they will all need new heads which won't be in the budget for a while.

A bit of a project, and not one I needed, but hard to pass up when the stars seemed to line up just right to make the purchase possible. Probably should have spent the money elsewhere but these had a strong siren call and I knew I'd always regret passing on them if they ended up in someone else's hands.

Attachments

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep you did good. Clear maple interiors with pointy B/O badges and a Supra thrown in for good luck, yep you did good :).
Coy

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
pedro navahas said:
That's a hard color to slip past the wife
Indeed, that may be a problem, although having 37 other drum sets does aid in that regard.

Saladdaze

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You have a cool boss. And Im not talking about your wife.

Congrats, K.O. I know what those are going to look like when you get done with them!

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are cool drums, and how could you pass them up given your local history with them? Now you have a good story to go with them!

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Early 70's Ludwig and Psychedelic Red is excellent.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
In my spare time in the automobile business (47 years) I made up a few acronyms (backronyms) . I love Porsche but for Porsche I conjured up this one

Price Of Regular Service Could Hinder Excitement
not bad eh?

How about
Nice In Slow Speed And Neutral

how about
Always Under Doing Inspections

Ferrari Inside All the Time
Touch Of Your Old Time AMC
Very Weird

all original..
I have one for Honda but (no) it's not for polite company.

here's a couple from other people

Big Money Worries (that's ancient)

and one I heard just the other day I really liked
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Price Of Regular Service Could Hinder Excitement
not bad eh?
You got that right. If this thing breaks down it's probably going to have to sit for a year or two. Clutch went out on my 944, never did drive it again. I change my own oil. Doing that twice has probably saved me almost enough money to pay for those Psych Reds. But the wail of that flat six at near redline is worth it...well it's pretty cool anyway.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
You know on that model- tell me- there is no "hood" to get to engine mostly is all underneath; yea I know..
I know. (that hurts) but like you say wail of that flat six is breathtaking

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
You know on that model- tell me- there is no "hood" to get to engine mostly is all underneath; yea I know..
I know. (that hurts) but like you say wail of that flat six is breathtaking
It is mid engined and the engine access leaves something to be desired but as a result its handling is nearly perfect. Two trunks too, although not a great car for hauling drums.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
A couple more tidbits about this purchase (the drums not the car).

I was on vacation the week before last (didn't go anywhere, just didn't work) and Brian called my workplace looking for my cell number. My boss wouldn't give it out but got Brian's number and said he'd have me call. So my boss called and said "Sorry to bother you when you're off but this guy is looking for you and I didn't want to give out your number in case he was a nut job or something". I told him I knew him and thanked him for the heads up and jokingly said "He has a drum set I want...maybe he wants to sell it...ha ha ha" (everyone at work is well aware of my drum affliction). On the following Monday when I came back to work my boss asked me what that guy had wanted and I said "He actually wanted to sell those drums but I don't have the money". So on Friday when I found out about the bonus I started wondering what I should do with it (saving it never really entered my mind) and pondered a trip to Maxwell's this weekend. When my boss handed me the envelope he said "Now I suppose you're going to buy that guy's drums"....OH YEAH!, I had totally forgot about them. Glad he mentioned it.

When I first called Brian about the drums as a result of the above events. He explained to me about his divorce and how, as much as he hated doing it, he needed to sell his "1968 Psychedelic Red set". He told me what he wanted for them and I explained that, while I would love to own them, I simply did not have anywhere close to that much money on hand that I could spend on drums (what with mortgage payments, insurance, property taxes, and now car payments and whatnot, you see). I don't know if he thought I was trying to get the price down or what but he started rambling a bit (but not in a nasty way) about how he knew what they were worth and he could get so much more on Reverb or Ebay and just the matching psych red snare alone is worth quite a bit...my heart skipped a beat,then my pulse quickened as my spidey senses tingled. "Wait, what?" He kept rambling on about how rare they were and he wasn't going to sell them cheap, etc. etc. Finally he wound down and stopped talking. awkward pause as my mind contemplates how to proceed...

"Ummmm,so...okay...hey...um Brian, did I hear you say you have the matching snare?"
"yeah I said the matching snare is worth a lot" (my heart can't take this)
(as casual as possible) "So you HAVE the matching snare?"
"What?.....No, I wanted one but they refused to sell it to me and I got the chrome one instead"
"Ohhhhhhhh, yeah those sets usually came with the chrome snare"
"I wanted one that matched but they wouldn't do it...but if they had let me get it (I'm assuming the music store was the "they" he was talking about) that snare would probably be worth $500 by itself now"
"ahhh....yup....too bad"

On the bright side this is why I still have both kidneys.

I told Brian I really wished I could buy the drums but it just wasn't possible and that I'd pass the word along about the set. I stopped by Randy Rainwater's place later in the week specifically to tell him about the set and then totally forgot to mention it...which was a good thing in the long run.

Currently working on potential methods to try to restore the faded green closer to original. Pull off a lug and you see just how pretty these were in 1971. Too bad they weren't stored in a dark closet.

Latest posts