Brought home some Psych Red last night.

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Doesnt get any better sounding than 1971. Great score!

btreat

Reaction score
Once the drums and the car are paid off, consider repainting the Porsche in psych red, too...

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Great story Kevin. I love a good psych red story.

Here's how I ended up with mine. Back around 2000 or 2001 I was half asleep after a gig the next day trolling eBay. I was always trolling eBay for mod orange and psych red and I see this cool looking double bass set that has a great BIN. I was seriously thinking about it but figured shipping would cost a lot and it was bringing the price up more than I would have wanted to spend. As I scrolled down I noticed the location and it was a place that was only an hour away from me. I quickly hit the BIN and sent the guy a message asking if I could come pick them up. He asked where I live and when I told him he said he had business to do in my area and he would drive them to me! I only had to go 10 min away to meet this guy and pick them up.

Psych red is such a cool color and I am curious to see how you do with the sharpie trick. I did it to a really washed out set once and it nearly drove me to the mental hospital. They came out good but man it's a lot of work especially when the set I had was so faded. Fortunately the set I own had very little fading and I take very good care of them. I photographed them outside but the sun was away from them and there were only outside for no more than probably 10 min. Can't wait to see the finished drums!

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
JDA, don't forget the classic: Fix Or Repair Daily! Once my '88 Mustang GT was literally breaking down daily, I had to let that pony go free.......it still kills me.....that car got me a lot of........good times!!! I was in 2 rock and roll bands back at the time so it was 24/7 life in the fast lane....literally!

Oh, and K.O. - very nice kit and bonus free Supra! And nice car, too! I'd deal with the issues to drive a Porsche.......I just love German cars......

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice........................vintage 1971.................great 3-ply shells from Ludwig.

I had a Quadraplus set from 1972 so I know of what I speak.
I traded them in..............I miss the bass and the FT..............the rack toms were concert toms and I was wanting traditional shells.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Radio King said:
For those who aren't versed in the sharpie trick (me), what is it?
Coloring in the whited out areas with a green sharpie marker.

Started working on these tonight. Poor things never really had a chance to show their true sound as they all have red Evans Hydraulic heads with Remo muffl's under them. The reso heads are single ply heads of some sort but painted green with a six inch hole cut out of the center. They've been this way for at least 30 years. So far I've stripped the 12" tom down to the bare shell for some novus 2 polishing and then we'll see about the sharpie retouch.

Reactions: JDA

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Looking forward to your progress on them Kevin. Nice acquisition!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
K.O. said:
For those who aren't versed in the sharpie trick (me), what is it?
Coloring in the whited out areas with a green sharpie marker.

Started working on these tonight. Poor things never really had a chance to show their true sound as they all have red Evans Hydraulic heads with Remo muffl's under them. The reso heads are single ply heads of some sort but painted green with a six inch hole cut out of the center. They've been this way for at least 30 years. So far I've stripped the 12" tom down to the bare shell for some novus 2 polishing and then we'll see about the sharpie retouch.
It's always amazing to me how so many people can have really nice drums and just make them sound so bad. It would be like having that nice car of yours Kevin and putting square tires on it. Those poor drums probably have not been able to properly breathe in over 30 years! Lol....

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Cool story and a cool kit.

When I worked at a drum store we sold a TON of those Remo Muff'l things, and I never understood it.
Just too many other ways to take *some* ring out now without completely taking the bearing edge and the head out of the loop.

People like what they like and use what they're used to, I guess.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
What the hey was Remo thinking with that burfled design.

I've actually seen black friction tape used on the entire bearing edge for muffling
boggling of the mind

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Someone just posted on Facebook about a Psych Red Jazz fest they picked up at a flea market. Sure wish I'd been at that particular flea market.

If true I guess fairy tales can come true.

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
K.O. said:
Someone just posted on Facebook about a Psych Red Jazz fest they picked up at a flea market. Sure wish I'd been at that particular flea market.

If true I guess fairy tales can come true.
I saw that too. That's just crazy.....

Latest posts