Brought home some Psych Red last night.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
jptrickster said:
25 dollars with a 5 dollar off coupon. very clean 12 20 14 club date. Amazing!
I saw that too, Unbelievable! Looked like almost no fade whatsoever on them. This is why I still troll Goodwills and Salvation Army stores. I usually leave with books and records but I'm really looking for drums.

I wonder how long ago this happened. He didn't really say. He just jokingly (I presume) said he found the rest of the kit to go with the Jazz Fest the other guy got. The trend for the past several years has been to put anything like this up on their auction sites and let the bidders sort out the value. Hard to believe something like this would have slipped through the cracks. I did get a WMP club date bass and tom about 7-8 years ago at a Salvation army store for $50. The only reason though was because they were so incredibly encased in dust they thought they were junk and put them in their "as-is" outlet store. This Psych red set looked like new.

Amazing!
A couple years ago I missed out on a nearly identical Psych Red Club Date set at an area music store. The drums were still in the store but had been sold to someone a day or two before. If I'd stopped in a few days sooner they would have been mine. That thought ate away at my gut for about three weeks after that...and those drums were $1800! I can't even fathom how I'd feel if I walked into a thrift store and saw someone wheeling around a cart with an unfaded $25 P.R. Club Date set in it :sad10: .

But now I have some Psych red of my own so I guess there's a happy ending.

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
MLayton said:
One down three to go....
Great job on that one Kevin. That changes everything! So nice.
Thanks Mike,
I debated on whether to try it or not, then I wasted about 15 bucks to explore other methods (translucent paint and green india ink) only to determine that the Sharpie is indeed the way to go. If you know about these drums and look closely you're gonna know. If you're clueless you won't. In either case if you're a few feet away you probably aren't going to be able to tell.

The thing is the deeper green restores the intended look of the wrap which is pretty dark overall. I always thought that catalog picture (posted below) looked too dark but that is how they are meant to look. Years of generally only seeing sets with the green washed out or gone altogether changed my mental image of what Psych Red should look like. When they did the reissue Element SE sets a few years back I thought the Psych Red was way too dark. It wasn't quite right in the pattern but the dark color actually was fairly accurate. Same with the tail end of the original Psych Red wrap when they changed it to almost a black backing with red, blue, and green swirls running through it. It was certainly darker than the original but not crazily so as it seemed to be when compared to faded examples.

In low light this wrap can look almost black, in better lighting the red "pops" more against the darker colors which makes the name seem more appropriate. I always wondered "Why red?" when all three colors are there in more or less equal amounts.

I will probably use this as a 12/16/22 and have those three drums done except for re-assembling the floor tom. Hopefully I'll have some decent photos to post sometime soon.

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
K.O. said:
One down three to go....
Great job on that one Kevin. That changes everything! So nice.
Thanks Mike,
I debated on whether to try it or not, then I wasted about 15 bucks to explore other methods (translucent paint and green india ink) only to determine that the Sharpie is indeed the way to go. If you know about these drums and look closely you're gonna know. If you're clueless you won't. In either case if you're a few feet away you probably aren't going to be able to tell.

The thing is the deeper green restores the intended look of the wrap which is pretty dark overall. I always thought that catalog picture I posted above looked too dark but that is how they are meant to look. Years of generally only seeing sets with the green washed out or gone altogether changed my mental image of what Psych Red should look like. When they did the reissue Element SE sets a few years back I thought the Psych Red was way too dark. It wasn't quite right in the pattern but the dark color actually was fairly accurate. Same with the tail end of the original Psych Red wrap when they changed it to almost a black backing with red, blue, and green swirls running through it. It was certainly darker than the original but not crazily so as it seemed to be when compared to faded examples.

In low light this wrap can look almost black, in better lighting the red "pops" more against the darker colors which makes the name seem more appropriate. I always wondered "Why red?" when all three colors are there in more or less equal amounts.

I will probably use this as a 12/16/22 and have those three drums done except for re-assembling the floor tom. Hopefully I'll have some decent photos to post sometime soon.

It's funny how these sets can differ from batch to batch. The 8x12 on my set is kind of dark compared to some of the other pieces. The 9x13 has has a lot green spots and the floor tom has a good amount of red. It's funny how that can happen depending on how the pattern went on any particular piece of wrap.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using a lavender Sharpie to restore a faded Mod Orange set? It would seem it would work equally well as long as the right colored permanent marker was available.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
My example mid 68 wrap is primarily Reds and blues the greens are/were not prevalent at all.
What fading of the green there is its non issue as far as I'm concerned.
The frog in a blender wrap looks great!

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
K.O. said:
Has anyone ever tried using a lavender Sharpie to restore a faded Mod Orange set? It would seem it would work equally well as long as the right colored permanent marker was available.
I tried that too and it was a no go. The purple color is too dark VS the lighter orange color and it just gets in to the orange and makes it bad. I found with the Psych that I could color the green and even lightly wipe the color in to get an even look without pen marks. I think it would be next to impossible to get the purple right in mod orange. Maybe I just gave up to quick.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
That's really cool Kevin. How did you accomplish that psych red logo? It looks great. When I did the logo on my classic maple set front head I thought it would be cool to sparkle the letter in champagne sparkle to match my set but I gave up trying to figure it out and found some generic sparkle decal to do the trick.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
wflkurt said:
That's really cool Kevin. How did you accomplish that psych red logo? It looks great. When I did the logo on my classic maple set front head I thought it would be cool to sparkle the letter in champagne sparkle to match my set but I gave up trying to figure it out and found some generic sparkle decal to do the trick.
I used a wand scanner to scan the bottom of the bass drum (unfaded) and then took that image and created the round version in a photoshop program and added the letters in a desktop publisher program. I printed it via a color laser printer onto a sheet of peel and stick vinyl. Cut the image out...peeled and stuck. Seems to have worked pretty well.

I've made similar decals using sparkle bright film and cutting it all out with an exacto knife. That could work for your desired effect if you could find sparkle film to cut that's the right color.

LFBarfe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
pedro navahas said:
Really nice job and I love that tom mount setup!
Simple yet elegant
I like that long arm too. Is that the Jeff Hamilton Remo mount, or your own version, Kevin?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really nice job and I love that tom mount setup!
Simple yet elegant
I like that long arm too. Is that the Jeff Hamilton Remo mount, or your own version, Kevin?

The ball and arm is a Ludwig item but the post is the Remo like Hamilton uses. I tracked one of those down a few years back. It has the long arm too but it's bigger than 9.5mm (3/8ths"). Ludwig offers (or at least did offer) a long arm in 9.5mm and I snagged one figuring I'd have a use for it someday...and now I do.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
My wife's working and I'm not so I finally have a chance to see how these sound...in a word, "great"

I did have some tuning issues in that the tension rods on the 12" batter side (which I'm 99% sure are the factory originals) ran out of thread before I could get as much tension as I wanted on the head. This isn't the first time I've run across this problem with what I know are the original rods (C'mon early 70's Ludwig! get your crap together). I found some slightly shorter Ludwig ones in my parts stash and that solved that.

It's stormy and pouring out today so I couldn't take these out into the backyard for my usual bucolic woodland setting but they look mighty fine in the (messy) living room too. I'm hoping there may be one more nice day left before winter sets in so that I can set them all up outside with cymbals and a snare for a proper "photo shoot".

I haven't yet "re-greened" the 13 and am contemplating doing a how-to video when I do which is the only reason it's not done. I'll most likely use these as a four piece anyhow (unless I can find a matching 14x14 I can afford....so yeah, it's gonna be a four piece set-up) with either just the 12 or 13 over the bass. Of course I'll always have the option of going full-bore "Hollywood" if I ever decide to. My latest band project is doing a lot of late 60's early 70's music so this set may well be perfect for that.

I did order up a piece of wrap from Bum Wraps to create a "matching" snare (definitely not going to be able to afford a real one of those and the billion to one shot of finding a cheap one has already been used up). If that scanned wrap impresses me enough as a match to my wrap I might think about cloning myself a 14x14...but I'd much prefer the real deal which would likely cost almost as much as I paid for this whole set.

Attachments

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Loving the photos, stories and everything else about this thread! This is why we are here.