Bruce Springsteen's Former Tour Drummer Named Best Metal Drummer

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Congratulations to Jay Weinberg, who once filled in with my favorite band, Kvelertak. He also toured in 2009 as a drummer with Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, substituting for his father, according to Wikipedia. During 2010, he was briefly the drummer for Madball. During 2011 and 2012, Weinberg played with Against Me!. In 2014, Weinberg became the drummer for the American heavy metal band Slipknot replacing drummer Joey Jordison. He is the youngest member of Slipknot.

From Blabbermouth.net:

In a new interview with Finland's Kaaos TV, SLIPKNOT's Jay Weinberg was asked about being named winner of last year's Music Radar poll for "Best Metal Drummer". Jay earned almost twice as many votes as the rest of the entrants combined, a list which included such names as Paul Bostaph (SLAYER), Ray Luzier (KORN), Jocke Wallgren (AMON AMARTH), Art Cruz (LAMB OF GOD) and Chris Kontos (MACHINE HEAD).

"It's very flattering, and I'm honored to receive any kind of recognition like that," the 29-year-old musician told Kaaos TV (see video below). "I'm grateful that people choose to spend time with our music and take notice of whatever contribution I've given to our music, the collective of SLIPKNOT. That means a lot to me.

"Music is so subjective, and somebody's favorite drummer is somebody else's… I don't know," he continued. "With anything subjective like that, I'm very appreciative of it, but, to me, what I'm most honored by is that people choose to interact with the music in some way and let it into their lives and come out to the shows. That, to me, is the real concrete… you know, that's what that means. I'm honored, I'm flattered, but the work continues every day. It's not really something that I think about every day. I'm appreciative that people interact with our music. That's pretty much the main point."

Weinberg discovered SLIPKNOT when he was a pre-teen, through his father Max, of Bruce Springsteen's E STREET BAND, and leader of the house band on Conan O'Brien's talk show. He was hooked immediately and was a huge fan of SLIPKNOT by the time he was invited to Los Angeles to try out as replacement for Joey Jordison in 2013.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good for him. Jay W seems like a good guy from all the interviews I've read. That's not at all my kind of music or theater, but there's no doubt that he's a fantastic drummer.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts