Brush Artistry - Philly Joe Jones

yumfluff

Reaction score
I have recently started to study Philly Joe Jones book, "Brush Artistry".
I want to get the technique right from the start but there are a little confusions with me being left handed and also relatively new to the drums in general.

So, I'm left handed but play a right handed kit open. I switch the hands around with swing and all that and when I do the rudiments.

What I want to know basically is in interpreting the Brushes in the book, I will swap the circular motion (Conventional style) to my right hand and the left hand will be hitting the beats.. that's all fine, I can managed that.
But in swapping the whole thing around, does this mean I go ANTICLOCKWISE as oppose to clockwise?? cant get my head around it.

Im sure this seems like a silly question, but it needs to be asked so as I do this right.
Thanks

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would do it just like a mirror... swap the hands and mirror.... swap the end position for the start positions.

Brush_Lefty.JPG

The image is of the first or conventional stroke, and it is started towards the center of the head, drops downward at a left arc or clockwise swing finishing closer to the outer part of the head or nearer the rim. The right hand should start towards the center of the head, drops downward at a right arc or counter-clockwise swing finishing closer to the outer part of the head or nearer the rim.

Another way to think about it is to print the page out of the book and then look at it from the reverse or backside to get the direction... if that makes any sense!

Latest posts