header.nohb.html

Brush sweep on snare drums - high pitched ring(s)

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Trying to dial in a good live mix for my brushes. Discovered my favourite snare drum (copper with Evans Onyx head) when swept with wire brush produces a high pitched ring un-miced. Am finding this, when close miced, difficult to EQ out of a live mix using a Soundcraft ui24r using the graphic eq on this unit without the brushes sounding too dull.

Is this a common issue in general?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Would like to cut off this unwelcome sound at the source if possible.

(Could there also be some sympathetic vibration from my practice room interacting with the drum sound that the mic is picking up - a room ring?)

Last edited:

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it shell tone or loose snare wire? Shell size? Head? Tuned low, mid or high?
Yamaha Copper Nouveau 14 x 4
Tuned high
No loose wires
Difficult for me to tell if related to shell tone. Not shell tone per se.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe some of your wire bristles are bent and pointing down on the drumhead? That can create a high whining/whistling sound when swiping across the head.

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe some of your wire bristles are bent and pointing down on the drumhead? That can create a high whining/whistling sound when swiping across the head.
You've nailed the description: a high whining/whistling sound.

Although only one of the wires is bent, that could be it!

I'll remove that bristle and report back.

Last edited:

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
(put a wood snare up)
Not present with my favourite 14” wood snare with Evans Onyx batter (tuned to the same pitch as the “problem’ copper drum).

Same problem on the ”problem drum” after removing the rogue bristle. However ...
changing to most of the other brush models I use the sound disappears, thank goodness.
Apart from these naughty suckers:
a) Facus Light, the original offender and still my favourite brushes,
b) Steve Gadd sig. when sweeping on the pre-bent corners, and,
c) Mike Balter’s “Louis Bellson” brush/stick combo.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful input in narrowing down this brush/drum system problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a Stanton Moore "how to tune your snare" vid where he explains (starting at 3:40) that he puts 2 little pieces of gaffer's tape on the under-side of his head right next to the logo, to cut down just a tiny bit of high-pitched overtones. He plays a 14x4 snare with brushes too. This might be an option for you.