header.nohb.html

Brush THICK Wire Recommendations ?

Jay Epstein

Reaction score
For many years I've used the Clayton Cameron brushes, but am looking for something with the stiffer, thicker wires. Outside of the Jeff Hamilton (Regal) model, what are your suggestions?
Thanks! - Jay

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've been using the Wincent Heavy Brushes for a few months. I like them, they give me a little more volume. Got them at DCP.
I own all three Wincent weights and the heavy model is a viable option. Personally, I have issues with how they are designed, which I have outlined here:

Vic Firth Russ Miller wire brushes are pretty heavy. In fact they are probably the heaviest wire gauge brushes I have ever tried.

DB-66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally favor the Vater Wire Tap Heavy.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went to nylon brushes like Flix for volume and more recently ProMark nylon for super flexibility. Stiffer wire bristles like Jeff Hamilton model were just not flexible enough for the way I play.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I went to nylon brushes like Flix for volume and more recently ProMark nylon for super flexibility. Stiffer wire bristles like Jeff Hamilton model were just not flexible enough for the way I play.
I have some nylon brushes myself. They are perfect for Afro-Cuban/Brazilian and some other genres, but for the stuff that I play, they don't project well for "stirring the soup". Still, they are an option.

5stroke

Reaction score
Vic Firth Live Wires are thicker wires Plus a small bead on the tips for articulation. I've had the same pair for around 6 years and the beads are intact.

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The VF Jazz Brushes (white hard plastic handle w/ red lettering) are very heavy. I always found them too heavy for sweeping / stirring playing, but they were good for "brushes-as-sticks" kind of playing.

The Regal Tip Hamiltons were a better implementation, IMO -- you could actually play sweeps with them.

These days, I'm using the Innovative WBR-2 when I need a heavier brush -- it's similar to the Hamiltons.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
get 'em while they're still stocked...

Just tried adding to my cart. They are backordered. Considering that Regal Tip is gone, it's the same as saying that they are no longer available. By the way, Zildjian brushes are also defunct.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello Jay! Long time ...... still have a # of items I've gotten from you since those wild RMMP days .....

I most often use the white plastic handled Vic Firth brushes, ever since George Marsh once pointed out to me that the full dynamic range could be had with much less physical effort. He then laid a pair on me .... still use them!

Mike

Jay Epstein

Reaction score
Thanks much guys, I just ordered Vater Heavy. Am just looking for something to feel more substantial than the Clayton's - Thank you for your knowledge & pointing me in the right direction!