Brushes (Regal Tip "Classics") on Remo Fiberskyns!

Mostly Bop Drums

Reaction score
Watch the demo here! Brushes on Remo Fiberskyns Sound Test/Demo

In the first video of this "Brushes" series, we're demoing our Gretsch Catalina Club with Remo Fiberskyns. We've got two other videos planned with brushes, one with Remo Ambassadors and another with Evan's Calftones. Let us know if there are other heads you'd like to hear!

Snare: Kasha Drums 6.5x14 Cherry Snare (we build these in-house!) Cymbals: 20" Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary Ride, 20" Vintage Zildjian Avedis Ride, 14" Vintage Avedis Hi-Hats. Gabe plays Regal Tip "Classics"

You can watch the other demos of this exact kit here:
With Ambassadors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2BcY...
With Fiberskyns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNZ19...

We used two AKG C214 microphones as overheads, a Shure SM57 on the snare, and an AKG d112 on the bass drum.

Enjoy!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Watch the demo here! Brushes on Remo Fiberskyns Sound Test/Demo

In the first video of this "Brushes" series, we're demoing our Gretsch Catalina Club with Remo Fiberskyns. We've got two other videos planned with brushes, one with Remo Ambassadors and another with Evan's Calftones. Let us know if there are other heads you'd like to hear!

Snare: Kasha Drums 6.5x14 Cherry Snare (we build these in-house!) Cymbals: 20" Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary Ride, 20" Vintage Zildjian Avedis Ride, 14" Vintage Avedis Hi-Hats. Gabe plays Regal Tip "Classics"

You can watch the other demos of this exact kit here:
With Ambassadors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2BcY...
With Fiberskyns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNZ19...

We used two AKG C214 microphones as overheads, a Shure SM57 on the snare, and an AKG d112 on the bass drum.

Enjoy!
Very nice brush playing! Just posting to observe that the bass drum sounds a bit choked in each video. Don’t know what muffling you are using, other than that felt strip, if any. Maybe you are holding the beater on the bass drum head.

Mostly Bop Drums

Reaction score
Very nice brush playing! Just posting to observe that the bass drum sounds a bit choked in each video. Don’t know what muffling you are using, other than that felt strip, if any. Maybe you are holding the beater on the bass drum head.
Yeah, so for the videos with this catalina, we were experimenting with the impact patch that came with the head, just to try it out. Not really a fan of it haha

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think you tune pretty high, right? If I remember correctly the reso is even higher than the batter, which might cause a shorter tone than a lower tnesion, amybe with both heads the same. I like the sound, but I agree it's on the short , high side.Typical (post) bop tuning though.

Mostly Bop Drums

Reaction score
Indeed! We prefer a more open sound, but we were just experimenting. Just to see how much 'bonk" we could get out of the impact patch and felt strip. Probably a little too much haha

Tdipaul

Reaction score
I love the playing and tuning in all your vids and give a thumbs up for each and every one of them!

I tried tuning my reso's higher like you do and I'm still experimenting with it.

It may seem ridiculous and sacrilege, but if you could put a drum dial to just one lug on all of your batter and reso heads it would be JUST AWESOME because it would help get me closer to your wonderful sound!

Mostly Bop Drums

Reaction score
I love the playing and tuning in all your vids and give a thumbs up for each and every one of them!

I tried tuning my reso's higher like you do and I'm still experimenting with it.

It may seem ridiculous and sacrilege, but if you could put a drum dial to just one lug on all of your batter and reso heads it would be JUST AWESOME because it would help get me closer to your wonderful sound!
We don't have a drumdial right now, but it's something we'll consider doing in the future! We film these demos in batches, so the next recording session isn't until this summer.