Bubinga drums

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a Bubinga kit today, but the price seems way too good. The kit is flawless, and made by Ddrums.
I was just reading they stopped producing Bubinga kits as of 2018. I read it online, so it must be true! I was also reading, ya can't leave the country without documentation now. Any truth to any of this?
Anyway, I've played on a couple some years back, and loved the sound. They're heavy as hell, and I'm coming off back surgery, so they'll be sitting in cases for a while.
For those who know a bit about Bubinga, or own a kit, how do they sound mic'd up? Do they record well? Any other positives, or negatives I should know about?
00h0h_iMMW5E1xLNK_1200x900.jpg

m_anderson

Reaction score
My bass drums are Bubinga, and I use Bubniga snare drums and absolutely love them. Can't comment on the toms because all of my toms are maple. I've never played Bubinga toms. I custom ordered my kit like this because I thought Bubinga toms might be too dark, and I had been playing a Bubinga snare with my old maple Slingerlands and really liked it.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Yes, they are. And if the price is way good, then probably too good to pass up.
Nice, I'm picking them up at 530.
Anyone know exactly why they aren't being made anymore? Any other info about em?

Toast Tee

Reaction score
My bass drums are Bubinga, and I use Bubniga snare drums and absolutely love them. Can't comment on the toms because all of my toms are maple. I've never played Bubinga toms. I custom ordered my kit like this because I thought Bubinga toms might be too dark, and I had been playing a Bubinga snare with my old maple Slingerlands and really liked it.
Dam, I was looking up the prices for Bubinga bass drums. I've always known they were expensive, but geez!
I don't wanna water anyone off, but I'm getting em all for 3 bill's. I've seen a set of hoops on Ebay going for over 2.
If you don't mind me asking, what kits to you play? Have a favorite?
I didn't have the option on getting what I would have liked, but I'll take it

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ddrum, from my understanding, has had an issue with inconsistent quality control and people tend to avoid them. That may account for the price if you're getting them cheap. Hopefully you luck out and get a great bubinga kit at a great price and make us all jealous!

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Yeah, I've read mixed reviews on Ddrums. It seems they have had some issues with hardware, but for the price, I've got to take a listen. I'd hope they stepped up the quality with the Bubinga.
I'll find out soon enough
Thanks for the heads up

KevinD

Reaction score
I have only ever been interested in, and researched, one Ddrum model and it was the dios Bubinga set a number of years ago. From what I recall these were their top of the line model. I remember this model because my initial concern was whether they were simply a Bubinga veneer on the outer ply or full-on Bubinga shells. They were the full-on shells from Keller which were cross laminated.
The hardware was a cut above their standard lines too.
At the time (2011-2012) there were some videos online of different players using them, I recall that they were pretty deep and robust sounding.

I never pulled the trigger, but it was not because I was concerned about the quality of the kit.

Sounds like you are going to get a great deal on a great set.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The cast hoops alone are probably worth what you're paying for them. You can have bearing edges recut if need be, that's probably where most quality control issue would come from.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really love bubinga floor Tom's and bass drums. All I've played responded with clear attackand huge bottom. Really satisfying if you want beef.

I've not enjoyed too many bubinga rack toms or snare drums. The high frequencies start to poke out to my ear and they always sound a little harsh.

That's an unreal deal though. Congrats man. I bet you'll love those drums.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Well, I picked em up. It's quite a few years old, but all but 1 drum had Evens heads.
I tuned em up the best I could, just to hear em. They have quite a punch on it. I honestly just wanted a Bubinga kit, as they have stopped producing them. I will set up a 3 piece, as I have a 27 month old little girl that loves the drums. I'd practice everyday while my wife was pregnant *I think there's something to all that.
So I couldn't be happier. The kit was bought for a teenage that never played em, so the dad just wanted to get rid of em.
My hope is, as with pianos, they stopped using Ivory, and now are crazy expensive. I don't expect them to become like that, but I've seen how expensive Bubinga has became. Hopefully it was a wise investment, if not, I got a quality kit cheap.
20190406_183902.jpg

Attachments

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I don't think there will be any issues with the edges. They really were never/rarely used

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tee, you got a steal on that kit. And, from what I understand, Ddrum put the time and money into their top line kits, and that's what you have. All the (few) complaints I've seen on Ddrums have been on their lower line kits. You will never have a problem with them, I'll wager, and I expect that the build quality is exactly as it should be.

The reason Bubinga drums are no longer being manufactured is because the timber has now been added to the "threatened" classification of "exotic" woods. That's why Tama has been forced to reconfigure their popular Birch/Bubinga kits. And as the list grows, it's forcing guitar manufacturers to explore every option they can for body veneers and fingerboard timber. That's just the way it is.

Congrats on picking up a beautiful kit for an extraordinary price.

GeeDeeEmm

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You don’t by chance live in Florida, do you? I ask because I nearly scored a similar deal on some of these a couple years back while on vacation in Miami. The guy took just a little bit too long getting back to me, though, and it didn’t end up happening. I assume somebody pounced on it after it slipped through my fingers, but who knows?

Toast Tee

Reaction score
You don’t by chance live in Florida, do you? I ask because I nearly scored a similar deal on some of these a couple years back while on vacation in Miami. The guy took just a little bit too long getting back to me, though, and it didn’t end up happening. I assume somebody pounced on it after it slipped through my fingers, but who knows?
No, but in Jan I scored a hell of a deal in Miami.
I picked up a 24 2002, 19 Dark Energy, and the guy threw in a hard 24 inch case to get em home. Everything looked brand new, and got everything for, again 300.
This one definitely beats it, but those aren't cheap cymbals, and that's my favorite case.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Tee, you got a steal on that kit. And, from what I understand, Ddrum put the time and money into their top line kits, and that's what you have. All the (few) complaints I've seen on Ddrums have been on their lower line kits. You will never have a problem with them, I'll wager, and I expect that the build quality is exactly as it should be.

The reason Bubinga drums are no longer being manufactured is because the timber has now been added to the "threatened" classification of "exotic" woods. That's why Tama has been forced to reconfigure their popular Birch/Bubinga kits. And as the list grows, it's forcing guitar manufacturers to explore every option they can for body veneers and fingerboard timber. That's just the way it is.

Congrats on picking up a beautiful kit for an extraordinary price.

GeeDeeEmm
Thanks! I'm excited as hell. I'll change the heads tomorrow, and hear how they really sound.
I usually go Ambassador reso, clear Emporer batter (cept snare, and bass)
I own only Maple, and Birch kits now, but wondering if I should go with a thicker single play for batter with these?

m_anderson

Reaction score
So what exactly did you get? How many drums and what sizes? Is it just a 3 piece kit? I'm interested, and that doesn't happen often. :)

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I'm not looking to sell it. Not for a long time anyway.
7x8
7x10
12x14
20x20?
I have to check depths, as I'm not sure the people who sold it were absolutely sure, but the toms are super shallow. Once I put heads on, and set it up, I'll take more pictures.

m_anderson

Reaction score
I'm not looking to sell it. Not for a long time anyway.
Didn't mean interested in buying, just interested in the Bubinga drums. More pics will be great. Also wondering if folks are holding on to their Bubinga drums/instruments because of the new CITES regulations. I didn't know about it until a few months ago. I have six TAMA Exotix Bubinga LE snare drums in my closet that have never been played. I use two 13 inch Bubinga snare drums and two Bubinga bass drums, 18 and 20 inch.

Latest posts