Bubinga drums

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I never bothered to look. Crazy. It's the ddrum. I'll take a pic from a different angle

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Wow, that was a mistake. That's from the Starclass I want to get. Here are some of the Ddrums. I can't believe I missed that??
That was my bad. Here's the glass finish I'm picking up Sat. 10 inch not attached.
The other 2 are from the Ddrum kit
The hardware on the Star is nice
01414_6S07OQK6ORc_1200x900.jpg
01414_6S07OQK6ORc_1200x900.jpg
20190410_183642.jpg

Attachments

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I
I've got the 12, 14, 16, 20 in their bubinga. The kit itself kills, but the lugs are kinda mediocre. I'm running aquarian reflectors and the sound is pretty tremendous, but I did also swap the hoops out for S-hoops. Incredibly thick, dark, and punchy sound.
Good to know. Did you try different heads before you choose those?
I still need to put on heads. I've hit the drums, but don't wanna play em, until I have decent heads. I like how the color comes through the heads, so I'll probably start with clear Emporers

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had a set and they are fantastic drums. Don’t know if this is true, but supposedly they sourced the bubinga shells from the same place as Tama

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Tama bubinga starclassic seems to be well loved. I’d love to own one. I’d probably opt for the maple, but the bubinga has a more powerful sound from what I understand. I’d bet it would be great for live settings.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I'm fortunate to have found these. If I end up with 2, or more kits, I'll speculate this would help may help my family one day. I would only play 1 of en once in a while

cplueard

Reaction score
I

Good to know. Did you try different heads before you choose those?
I still need to put on heads. I've hit the drums, but don't wanna play em, until I have decent heads. I like how the color comes through the heads, so I'll probably start with clear Emporers
Yeah, I actually went with them because I've got a lot of heads floating around that I tried first. Thinner heads just don't do it for me (ambassadors and such) because their sound always tend to get too ringy and slappy at louder volumes to me, same with emperor-style ones (though it's better, I use emps on my dedicated original rock band kit just becasue that extra slapy-ringy help with cut, but sounds pretty mediocre in small/studio settings). The reflectors stay really round until about the medium-high velocity point then they get some bite, it's perfect for me stylistically and really shows off the dark and round aspects of the kts sound, as the bubinga needs absolutely no help accentuating attack.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I'll have to pick up a set. What are you using on your reso side?

cplueard

Reaction score
I'll have to pick up a set. What are you using on your reso side?
Might want to take a tom with your before grabbing them, the way my diecast hoops were set up i HAD to switch hoops because the diecasts were too narrow to hold the aquarian collar. I thought the die-casts were a bit much for these thinner shells anyway so I was planning on switching and it worked out, but just be careful so you don't blow $40-$60 on heads only to not have them fit the diecasts mold.

I'm using aquarian Focus-X. I like that design to cut down on the higher edge frequencies when I hit hard. Remo powerstroke is the same idea but if you don't swing too hard any standard single ply clear should do fine. I've just noticed I can get some gross tones if resonant single-ply heads get even slightly out of tune with the volume levels I play at. If you like I can try to get a Zoom video so you can get a rough idea of my tom sound this afternoon.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Might want to take a tom with your before grabbing them, the way my diecast hoops were set up i HAD to switch hoops because the diecasts were too narrow to hold the aquarian collar. I thought the die-casts were a bit much for these thinner shells anyway so I was planning on switching and it worked out, but just be careful so you don't blow $40-$60 on heads only to not have them fit the diecasts mold.

I'm using aquarian Focus-X. I like that design to cut down on the higher edge frequencies when I hit hard. Remo powerstroke is the same idea but if you don't swing too hard any standard single ply clear should do fine. I've just noticed I can get some gross tones if resonant single-ply heads get even slightly out of tune with the volume levels I play at. If you like I can try to get a Zoom video so you can get a rough idea of my tom sound this afternoon.
That's a good idea. It's not cheap to put all new heads on a kit, especially if ya find out they're not seating right, or just can't get the sounds you want. You switch out for triple flange hoops?
40-60 bucks..I wish. The bass alone is about 80 bucks a piece for batter, and reso. How do you think control dot heads would sound on the batter? I like clear heads on Bubinga, as the color of the shells look great. Yes, sound is far more important, but clear heads make those shells look great.
I'm going to be picking up 2 Starclassic Bubinga this weekend, at real good prices.
That one white kit in the pic, and another from from a widow. The one from the widow has a real nice, natural finish. I forgot the name, but is got that natural reddish/brown. I have to take my wifes word on it, as I'm color blind.
The lady who's selling that kit is also throwing in a 60's Supraphonic, so I'm real comfortable spending $850 for the entire package. 5 Bubinga drums, and a vintage Supra, along with hardware is going to be hard to beat.
Do you have a pic of your kit?

cplueard

Reaction score
That's a good idea. It's not cheap to put all new heads on a kit, especially if ya find out they're not seating right, or just can't get the sounds you want. You switch out for triple flange hoops?
40-60 bucks..I wish. The bass alone is about 80 bucks a piece for batter, and reso. How do you think control dot heads would sound on the batter? I like clear heads on Bubinga, as the color of the shells look great. Yes, sound is far more important, but clear heads make those shells look great.
I'm going to be picking up 2 Starclassic Bubinga this weekend, at real good prices.
That one white kit in the pic, and another from from a widow. The one from the widow has a real nice, natural finish. I forgot the name, but is got that natural reddish/brown. I have to take my wifes word on it, as I'm color blind.
The lady who's selling that kit is also throwing in a 60's Supraphonic, so I'm real comfortable spending $850 for the entire package. 5 Bubinga drums, and a vintage Supra, along with hardware is going to be hard to beat.
Do you have a pic of your kit?
$40-60 just for top heads on three toms. Once you're doing both sides +bass that's a different ballpark, but I wasn't including bass or reso with that figure as the idea of reflectors really only applies to the batter side of toms heads.
I switched for S-hoops. Still heavy, but more open and good protection for the bearing edge.
I think power dots would work well, especially if you keep the diecast hoops on. The focus from the dot+hoops should really pull the sound into a good punch. Double-up with a clear powerstroke on the bottom if you really want it to have a clear and dark note without a huge amount of ring and only mid-low frequency sustain.
That's a screaming deal for those starclassic bubingas. Borderline insane really, those are pricey kits.
I'll see if I can find some pictures before leaving work, otherwise I'll grab some when I shoot that clip.

Dan K

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a Bubinga kit today, but the price seems way too good. The kit is flawless, and made by Ddrums.
I was just reading they stopped producing Bubinga kits as of 2018. I read it online, so it must be true! I was also reading, ya can't leave the country without documentation now. Any truth to any of this?
Anyway, I've played on a couple some years back, and loved the sound. They're heavy as hell, and I'm coming off back surgery, so they'll be sitting in cases for a while.
For those who know a bit about Bubinga, or own a kit, how do they sound mic'd up? Do they record well? Any other positives, or negatives I should know about?View attachment 392742
BEAUTIFUL drums! Hope you recover quickly from your back surgery!

Dan

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.
Yeah, I've really lucked out of late. When I find real good deals on something I'm looking for, I'll jump on it. It unfortunately doesn't always work like that as I'm sure you know.
Yeah man, no rush, just have really gotten into Bubinga of late. I am going to buy a new one in the coming weeks, so wanted see as many kits as possible to get some ideas

Toast Tee

Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL drums! Hope you recover quickly from your back surgery!

Dan
Thanks Dan,
It's definitely taking far longer than I thought it would, so it's a bit frustrating. I had started PT, but the bones haven't fused yet, so they pulled me 3 more months.
Lugging around these Bubinga kits isn't something I'm ready to do, but thankfully my wife is real supportive of my playing.
I did a bit of traveling a little over a month ago, and it wasn't easy, but I felt she deserved a break.
Trying to play with my 2 year old has been the toughest part.

Dan K

Reaction score
Thanks Dan,
It's definitely taking far longer than I thought it would, so it's a bit frustrating. I had started PT, but the bones haven't fused yet, so they pulled me 3 more months.
Lugging around these Bubinga kits isn't something I'm ready to do, but thankfully my wife is real supportive of my playing.
I did a bit of traveling a little over a month ago, and it wasn't easy, but I felt she deserved a break.
Trying to play with my 2 year old has been the toughest part.
I can imagine! When my son was 4 I had surgery for a massive infection under my skin - surgeon said that if I had let it go a few more hours it would have killed me. Anyway, 6 weeks of recovery (NOTHING compared to yours!!!) and not being able to pick him up was horrible. Luckily, he was a climber. Weird thing is, it all started with an ingrown hair and they took out over a liter of "gunk" before flushing it out. I hated recovery.

Dan

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I can imagine! When my son was 4 I had surgery for a massive infection under my skin - surgeon said that if I had let it go a few more hours it would have killed me. Anyway, 6 weeks of recovery (NOTHING compared to yours!!!) and not being able to pick him up was horrible. Luckily, he was a climber. Weird thing is, it all started with an ingrown hair and they took out over a liter of "gunk" before flushing it out. I hated recovery.

Dan
Oh man!!!!! The spelling will be wrong, but was it a Polyalnotal cyst? On your tail bone?

cplueard

Reaction score
Here's one after I first got it, the pinstripes came with it but weren't a good match. The lighting and everything is garbage but you can at least see the outside finish clearly.

Attachments

Toast Tee

Reaction score
worse! Left cheek!
Dam, I had one of those on my tailbone 15 years ago. I couldn't sit. It felt like I was sitting on a large grapefruit.
This is a bit of topic, but it's gotta be more common for drummers.
I too had to have emergency surgery. It had to heal from the inside out...I won't go into details, as it's not a pretty mental sight.
Anyway up until a few my major back problems began, I was a gym rat. Geez, after that surgery, it took a year before I could get back to sitting w/out pain.
Yeah, that is a bad one, but unless ya get poisoned, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. It stunk as I was in my early 20's, and kinda killed a year.
This one is freaky, as there's no guarantee I'll get better.

Latest posts