Bubinga drums

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful kit, congrats !!!!!
I personally would get that bass drum cut down to 14" or 16" depth. 20 x20 does not fit in a case in the back seat of many cars. IMHO And it would probably sound "punchier".
Prayers for your back and a quick recovery !!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Cupleard *spell? has that same kit. I'm picking that white Bubinga Starclassic Sun, instead of Sat, and possibly a yellow star as well. I'll need to check it out.
As for the sizes, I don't plan on playing any I happen to get, besides 1, and none will be leaving the house. I'll figure out what to do about cases on some of the odd sizes, but I'm not too concerned. I know, I'm corky like that. I have cymbals I've never played.
I have my practice kits, and gigging kits wich are Maple, and 1 birch.
I guess it's like an addiction for me (better than some I could have). I'm also speculating these drums will be worth a good amount of dough by the time my daughter is ready for college. Once these kits are sold, and the Bubinga is used up, it's going to be several lifetimes before, anything will be made from the wood.
I started playing drums every day during my wifes pregnancy for up to 3+ hours a day. When my daughter was 4, or 5 months, and when music would play, she'd start "dancing" (well moving her butt up, and down in time). For her second birthday I got her a birch Bop kit. I know I'm going off topic for a sec, but when I play, she studies everything I'm doing. I don't, or won't force her to do anything, but she's taking to it well. She amazes me at times. I just need to find a kids pedal, as she's not strong enough to play any of mine.
A cool video to check out, is Rick Beato's on perfect pitch.
Sorry, couldn't help myself. 1st, and only child.
I can't wait to put on new heads, and start seeing how these drums tune, as well as sound recorded.
I'm strongly considering getting a DW Collectors Bubinga kit as well.

cplueard

Reaction score
Apologies, I got the video but the camera wasn't set up well and none of the sound came through properly. I couldn't take the time to get another before my gig last night so Ill give it another go today.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Apologies, I got the video but the camera wasn't set up well and none of the sound came through properly. I couldn't take the time to get another before my gig last night so Ill give it another go today.
No need to apologize. Life can get pretty hectic.
What kind of band/bands are ya playing with? How often are you gigging?
Bill brought up something that has me thinking. Did you have trouble finding cases for your kit? Are you using hard cases?
Luckily, the guy I'm picking up that crushed glass Star kit from has, and is throwing in the cases for that kit.
From what I'm reading, a 22 shell Bibinga has the punch of a 24 inch bass drum. Idk if that's just marketing? What do you think? Does your 20 punch like a 22? I can't judge with the heads that came w/it. Plus I don't even want to tune, or play it until it's ready to be struck properly.
I was looking into the DW kit, and the ad is misleading. They're Maple shells with an outer layer of Bubinga for aesthetics.
Do you know the ratio of birch to bubinga on the Ddrums, compared to the Starclassic?
I'd rather hear from someone that plays, and knows the kits, rather than a salesman.

cplueard

Reaction score
No need to apologize. Life can get pretty hectic.
What kind of band/bands are ya playing with? How often are you gigging?
Bill brought up something that has me thinking. Did you have trouble finding cases for your kit? Are you using hard cases?
Luckily, the guy I'm picking up that crushed glass Star kit from has, and is throwing in the cases for that kit.
From what I'm reading, a 22 shell Bibinga has the punch of a 24 inch bass drum. Idk if that's just marketing? What do you think? Does your 20 punch like a 22? I can't judge with the heads that came w/it. Plus I don't even want to tune, or play it until it's ready to be struck properly.
I was looking into the DW kit, and the ad is misleading. They're Maple shells with an outer layer of Bubinga for aesthetics.
Do you know the ratio of birch to bubinga on the Ddrums, compared to the Starclassic?
I'd rather hear from someone that plays, and knows the kits, rather than a salesman.
I've got an original rock group, 80's/90's cover band, classic rock/pop/folk cover band, and I play off and on for a few local artists as needed. Busy season I'm playing 5-8 times a month, not a crazy amount by any means.
I'm not using cases for the kit as it doesn't leave my house, but they're not hard to find for it.
My 20" punches hard and the extra depth gives a good amount of extra bass response that does a good job covering the fact that it's not a 22". The pitch is slightly higher, but it's not really noticeable given that the punch and rumble are strong.
The Ddrums are just straight bubinga, no birch (I believe, that's what I see in the shell and what I remember from the advertising). I'm not familiar with the ratio on the starclassic B/B.

That is one serious bass drum! And I thought my 20x16 Bubinga was a beast!
Thanks! It's a lot of air to move but I've got a pretty heavy foot so it works out perfect.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got an original rock group, 80's/90's cover band, classic rock/pop/folk cover band, and I play off and on for a few local artists as needed. Busy season I'm playing 5-8 times a month, not a crazy amount by any means.
I'm not using cases for the kit as it doesn't leave my house, but they're not hard to find for it.
My 20" punches hard and the extra depth gives a good amount of extra bass response that does a good job covering the fact that it's not a 22". The pitch is slightly higher, but it's not really noticeable given that the punch and rumble are strong.
The Ddrums are just straight bubinga, no birch (I believe, that's what I see in the shell and what I remember from the advertising). I'm not familiar with the ratio on the starclassic B/B.

Thanks! It's a lot of air to move but I've got a pretty heavy foot so it works out perfect.
Yeah, you're right. The Ddrum are 100% Bubinga, and very rare :).
I'm wondering if the Starclassic Bubinga/Birch will take longer to appreciate, as although they are expensive, they're still far more common. I'll have the Ddrums fixed up, and ready to show some pictures of the kit set up by Monday.
The Tama Star Bubinga, are crazy expensive. I hope they're 100% Bubinga for the $

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Geez, I'm going off the deep end, but rather than cymbals, it's Bubinga drum kits.
I just pulled the trigger on a brand new solid Bobinga Tama SLP kit. Idk if this is true, but only 50 were made for the US 2019. I can't find the info online, so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.
Tomorrow, I pick up another Ddrum Bobinga (same kit as I got last week, but he had 2 16 FT's), so threw 1 extra.
Sunday, I get the Starclassic B/B, and I'm DONE!

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Geez, I'm going off the deep end, but rather than cymbals, it's Bubinga drum kits.
I just pulled the trigger on a brand new solid Bobinga Tama SLP kit. Idk if this is true, but only 50 were made for the US 2019. I can't find the info online, so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.
Tomorrow, I pick up another Ddrum Bobinga (same kit as I got last week, but he had 2 16 FT's), so threw 1 extra.
Sunday, I get the Starclassic B/B, and I'm DONE!
Wow. Quite the collection, man.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. Quite the collection, man.
I have trouble with moderation. I'm glad I don't like alcohol, and don't do addictive drugs.
Since Bubinga is no longer going to be available, they are coming up with some really cool wood combinations.
Still, I'm hoping my speculation is correct, and Bubinga becomes more, and more sparse.
So, all but 1 will be pure Bubinga, with the Classic being a Birch combo. I bet that will sound nice. Hopefully

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

There ya go. It's just a Zoom 2QN so the mic isn't exactly amazing but it did a decent job.
I saw you go to plug something in with the kit in the back, but then it switched to the Bonzolium guy lol. I can't get away from that dude. Jk. His Buddy has improved greatly recently. On that topic, Bonzolium (Terry?) is as passionate as me when it comes to Bonzo. I respect that kind of passion, even though I bust his chops a bit for be nuts (like me, just different) ;)
If you recorded a vid, I'd like to see/hear it

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, they sound amazing!!!!
I either also love the tuning, and the shorter sustain?
I'm definitely gonna go with your head selection on one of the Ddrums. I'll probably try control dots on the 16, and see how they sound.
I'm thrilled I'll have that kit.
Gonna watch this again

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely gonna go with your head selection on one of the Ddrums. I'll probably try control dots on the 16, and see how they sound.
Gonna watch this again
The sentence about tuning, or sustain...don't ask. I don't know what I was trying to say

cplueard

Reaction score
Gonna watch this again
Thanks brother, I'm glad you like it. For me they feel and sound like everything I want from a heavy tom head. Good bite without plasticy overtones at higher volume and proper round fullness across all Dynamics. They sound even better in the room, that mic cuts out some of the lingering bottom end that rounds them out and it just killed the extra bottom on the bass through my speakers.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks brother, I'm glad you like it. For me they feel and sound like everything I want from a heavy tom head. Good bite without plasticy overtones at higher volume and proper round fullness across all Dynamics. They sound even better in the room, that mic cuts out some of the lingering bottom end that rounds them out and it just killed the extra bottom on the bass through my speakers.
Dude, they sound amazing!!!! I just got back from a 4 hour drive (each way) to pick up another of the same kit..btw both bass drums are 20x20. I also was given an extra 14 tom, as when he ordered them there's a pretty much invisible scratch, so they sent him another, and let him keep both. I got to hear, and try different heads. I got em from a church, so the acoustics will be different. I like the Dot on bass, 14, and 16. I liked the vintage Emporers on the 10, 12, and didn't mess around much with the 8. I'll tune the 8 high, so may try a coated single?
I'm stoked. Tomorrow I pick up the B/B start classic.
On the brand new one 1 ordered, it's a long story, but it will be told.
Pictures tonight, or tomorrow

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, here are both kits,minus 1 of the bases. My wife went to sleep, and my back isn't strong enough to get it out of the case.
That $300 deal may never be beat. But, I will try! ;)
I got the other from a church that just got a brand new kit, so a hell of a deal there too *not as good, but I'm happy!
I think it's from 2012? But seriously not a nick on any of the drums. Immaculate!
Starclassic tomorrow, and possibly 1 more Star Bubinga (pretty expensive, but top of the line Tama)
20190414_004800.jpg
20190414_004846.jpg
20190414_004905.jpg

m_anderson

Reaction score
Beautiful drums. So, are you going to set these up together as one massive double bass Bubinga kit?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I was very lucky on those.
Yeah, I'm going to put my electric kit behind me, pull out my blocks, chins etc, and start a Rush tribute band ;)
Nah, I'll set up a 6 piece, change out a bunch of heads, tune em, use em for a day or two, and store em away.
After I pick up the Classics today, I'll probably play with those for a while.
After hearing Cpluard's kit, it's going to be fun trying to find a similar sound. Did you hear his kit? As soon as I heard it, I know I got a great sounding kit. (Well 2)

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, got the Bubinga/Birch Starclassic. 22 inch bass sounds massive. Pics later

Latest posts