Bubinga drums

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Just took a pic of the 16. I'm still not ready to take anything large out out of the case. Still has original heads, and a couple years old. Idk, The 2 inches on the bass drum really sounds big.
The finish/wrap is very nice.
Good weekend.
Once I have new heads, and em tuned, I'll give a fair comparison
20190414_201745.jpg20190414_201757.jpg

cplueard

Reaction score
Well, here are both kits,minus 1 of the bases. My wife went to sleep, and my back isn't strong enough to get it out of the case.
That $300 deal may never be beat. But, I will try! ;)
I got the other from a church that just got a brand new kit, so a hell of a deal there too *not as good, but I'm happy!
I think it's from 2012? But seriously not a nick on any of the drums. Immaculate!
Starclassic tomorrow, and possibly 1 more Star Bubinga (pretty expensive, but top of the line Tama)View attachment 393545View attachment 393546View attachment 393547
Absolutely gorgeous drums man. I'm sure they'll sound incredible once they're up and running. I'm keeping an eye out myself for a second kit of these that I could gig with.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous drums man. I'm sure they'll sound incredible once they're up and running. I'm keeping an eye out myself for a second kit of these that I could gig with.
Thanks. Not bad 2300 for 3 kits, 15 drums, some stands, and hardware. They really sound unbelievable! I'm glad I've gotten to meet you on here. I don't like how Ddrums got a bad wrap. They are works of great sounding art. Idk about the lower end kits, but my God, they sound amazing. I'll probably gran a star Bubinga, and that will be it. Once they disappear from the market, these will also become valuable. I saw Bubinga piano going for 149k already. There will be other exotic woods, I just don't see them sounding, or looking like these.
Once supply is all but gone, the demand will be ridiculous

cplueard

Reaction score
Thanks. Not bad 2300 for 3 kits, 15 drums, some stands, and hardware. They really sound unbelievable! I'm glad I've gotten to meet you on here. I don't like how Ddrums got a bad wrap. They are works of great sounding art. Idk about the lower end kits, but my God, they sound amazing. I'll probably gran a star Bubinga, and that will be it. Once they disappear from the market, these will also become valuable. I saw Bubinga piano going for 149k already. There will be other exotic woods, I just don't see them sounding, or looking like these.
Once supply is all but gone, the demand will be ridiculous
They deserve the bad rap, to be fair. I've had as many bad ones as good ones but when they're good they really nail it. I don't see their QC as worse than vintage ludwigs (or even mordern, like the copperphonic) but since they're newer they get shafted a lot harder. I don't mind though, i can rotate them in and out at pretty low prices and keep any that really sing. If you ever see an ash kit from them cheap I'd recommend it, I enjoy them a lot.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
They deserve the bad rap, to be fair. I've had as many bad ones as good ones but when they're good they really nail it. I don't see their QC as worse than vintage ludwigs (or even mordern, like the copperphonic) but since they're newer they get shafted a lot harder. I don't mind though, i can rotate them in and out at pretty low prices and keep any that really sing. If you ever see an ash kit from them cheap I'd recommend it, I enjoy them a lot.
When you say "bad ones" what issues did you have?
The complaints I've heard had to do with hardware. The shells are solid, and the few I put new heads on (even the ones I didn't, sounded ridiculously good)
They made an Ash Dios Bubinga?
I'm guessing they're pretty hard to come by, as I've yet to see one?
I'm just as impressed with the Starclassic. I like the finish on the hardware sharp, and the kick had some punch, but I wouldn't say 1 is better than the other 2.
I saw a Dios for sale online with some cool sizes. 14, 16, 18, 26 (if I remember correctly?) 5k. Not going to spend that on I kit I can't hear/examine.
What years did Ddrum produce them?
The first time I heard Bubinga was 2006, or so, and fell in love. At the time it was out of my $ range.
Well, once I get all new heads, and tune em, I'll post a vid to compare all.

cplueard

Reaction score
When you say "bad ones" what issues did you have?
The complaints I've heard had to do with hardware. The shells are solid, and the few I put new heads on (even the ones I didn't, sounded ridiculously good)
They made an Ash Dios Bubinga?
I'm guessing they're pretty hard to come by, as I've yet to see one?
I'm just as impressed with the Starclassic. I like the finish on the hardware sharp, and the kick had some punch, but I wouldn't say 1 is better than the other 2.
I saw a Dios for sale online with some cool sizes. 14, 16, 18, 26 (if I remember correctly?) 5k. Not going to spend that on I kit I can't hear/examine.
What years did Ddrum produce them?
The first time I heard Bubinga was 2006, or so, and fell in love. At the time it was out of my $ range.
Well, once I get all new heads, and tune em, I'll post a vid to compare all.
I got one of the 10 year anniversary models that had some hardware and finish issues, couldn't get the bass to tube right as the tension rods were too long for the lug size/distance from edge. I had a Dominion model that I think had some bunk edges, but I hadn't been playing long enough to really understand my problem it just wouldn't tune right no matter what I did. I've got a duo fade Dominion Maple where the finish is not holding up well and it looks pretty cheap, though the kit itself sounds great.
Not ash bubinga, just ash. They did an ash/maple hybrid too, they just sound good. Ash is en excellent wood for drums that I think is mostly untouched outside of Ddrum and a few higher end companies (canopus comes to mind) but you can snag a solid ash kit of $500 or less if it's Ddrum.
Yeah, there's still two Dios bubingas around online. One is priced fairly ($1500 for a 6-piece I think.) and the other was a touring drummers signature model so I'm guessing that's the 5K one you saw.
Not sure of production years for them , it wasn't super long.
Looking forward to the video!

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I got one of the 10 year anniversary models that had some hardware and finish issues, couldn't get the bass to tube right as the tension rods were too long for the lug size/distance from edge. I had a Dominion model that I think had some bunk edges, but I hadn't been playing long enough to really understand my problem it just wouldn't tune right no matter what I did. I've got a duo fade Dominion Maple where the finish is not holding up well and it looks pretty cheap, though the kit itself sounds great.
Not ash bubinga, just ash. They did an ash/maple hybrid too, they just sound good. Ash is en excellent wood for drums that I think is mostly untouched outside of Ddrum and a few higher end companies (canopus comes to mind) but you can snag a solid ash kit of $500 or less if it's Ddrum.
Yeah, there's still two Dios bubingas around online. One is priced fairly ($1500 for a 6-piece I think.) and the other was a touring drummers signature model so I'm guessing that's the 5K one you saw.
Not sure of production years for them , it wasn't super long.
Looking forward to the video!
Oh man, that's not good.
As far as the Bubinga Dios, have you ever had an issue?
Like I said the few heads I changed, and tuned sounded great, but I should really change all the heads, just to make sure there are no issues. If I do, hopefully it will be on a 14, as I have an extra.
15 isn't a bad deal if it's in good shape. The 5k one has those custom sizes, and I think was owned by a drummer I never heard of.
Well, off to GC, I'll pick up the heads you suggested, and compare.
I'm also really close to pulling the trigger on the Star Bubinga. It's pricey, but that will be it on Bubinga.
I'll use the Tunebot when I put the new ones on.
So, you pretty much knew some of the drums had issues almost right off the bat?

cplueard

Reaction score
Oh man, that's not good.
As far as the Bubinga Dios, have you ever had an issue?
Like I said the few heads I changed, and tuned sounded great, but I should really change all the heads, just to make sure there are no issues. If I do, hopefully it will be on a 14, as I have an extra.
15 isn't a bad deal if it's in good shape. The 5k one has those custom sizes, and I think was owned by a drummer I never heard of.
Well, off to GC, I'll pick up the heads you suggested, and compare.
I'm also really close to pulling the trigger on the Star Bubinga. It's pricey, but that will be it on Bubinga.
I'll use the Tunebot when I put the new ones on.
So, you pretty much knew some of the drums had issues almost right off the bat?
Only issue I've run into is that some of the lugs aren't threaded super well, even with some grease they can be a bit stiff. Nothing terrible, but it made tuning take a bit longer as I couldn't feel it out.
Yeah, it'll sound great once you get it going.
It's Mike Marsh's old kit. I think he wasn't with them long. He had a signature snare as well that was a pretty cool cast steel that didn't get made for very long.
I'd hold off on the star Bubinga if I were you. Unless you find one at a good deal the price on those likely won't ever get much higher than they already cost new. It's a limited and desired wood, but at the end of the day the musical instrument market gets smaller as time goes on and overall it will get harder for their value to rise if purchased new.
For the most part I knew pretty quickly. I generally retune and mess with drums first thing because it gives me an idea of what heads to try. Half the problems were visual and the other ones I've had could be felt. I've been fortunate enough that I've never had any bearing edge issues though I have heard of that occurring as well.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Only issue I've run into is that some of the lugs aren't threaded super well, even with some grease they can be a bit stiff. Nothing terrible, but it made tuning take a bit longer as I couldn't feel it out.
Yeah, it'll sound great once you get it going.
It's Mike Marsh's old kit. I think he wasn't with them long. He had a signature snare as well that was a pretty cool cast steel that didn't get made for very long.
I'd hold off on the star Bubinga if I were you. Unless you find one at a good deal the price on those likely won't ever get much higher than they already cost new. It's a limited and desired wood, but at the end of the day the musical instrument market gets smaller as time goes on and overall it will get harder for their value to rise if purchased new.
For the most part I knew pretty quickly. I generally retune and mess with drums first thing because it gives me an idea of what heads to try. Half the problems were visual and the other ones I've had could be felt. I've been fortunate enough that I've never had any bearing edge issues though I have heard of that occurring as well.
A bearing edge issue would be awful. Have you heard of any Bubinga kits that had that problem?
Luckily, I have 2 of every drum, and 3 14's. If I had an issue, that new lugs wouldn't solve, I could do 2 things.
I could always make 1 kit for playing, or I could make 1, of the 2 a bit smaller.
I actually couldn't find the Star Bubinga in stock anywhere, so it looks as if I do get my hands on one, it would be soon, and perhaps even cheaper (right now)
So, worst case scenario, I've got a couple Bubinga kits, and a B/B Starclassic. I didn't have to take a second mortgage out, and wasn't a hit that will hurt me financially.
For the kits with the bum lugs, lugs aren't a big deal to change, unless it's the housing of the lugs that have been the issue (what I'd imagine). Still, I'd hope I'd be able to order either, if that's the case.
As for the bearing edges, that would be a problem. Bubinga is such a hard wood, it would have had to have been a manufacturing glitch. They too can be fixed. I'd wait, if I had any drums with that issue. There were no issues with the drums I tuned up, and hopefully I won't have any.
When you came across a kit with the bad lugs, was it just 1, or 2?

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Well, my Bubinga collection will be over in a few days.
Rather than getting the Star Bubinga, I went with the super limited edition of the 100% Bubinga 4 Peice G Bubinga SPL. I got it 1k less than any site. The company only got 3 (Musican's Friend). Supposedly only 15 were sent to the US, so from a collector's perspective, it should appreciate nicely in a few years.
What bothers me, is there are no videos of anyone playing the kit.
It is a sharp kit, although no virgin bass drum. I used to like them ;)