Bubinga drums

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just took a pic of the 16. I'm still not ready to take anything large out out of the case. Still has original heads, and a couple years old. Idk, The 2 inches on the bass drum really sounds big.
The finish/wrap is very nice.
Good weekend.
Once I have new heads, and em tuned, I'll give a fair comparison
20190414_201745.jpg
20190414_201757.jpg

cplueard

Reaction score
Well, here are both kits,minus 1 of the bases. My wife went to sleep, and my back isn't strong enough to get it out of the case.
That $300 deal may never be beat. But, I will try! ;)
I got the other from a church that just got a brand new kit, so a hell of a deal there too *not as good, but I'm happy!
I think it's from 2012? But seriously not a nick on any of the drums. Immaculate!
Starclassic tomorrow, and possibly 1 more Star Bubinga (pretty expensive, but top of the line Tama)View attachment 393545View attachment 393546View attachment 393547
Absolutely gorgeous drums man. I'm sure they'll sound incredible once they're up and running. I'm keeping an eye out myself for a second kit of these that I could gig with.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous drums man. I'm sure they'll sound incredible once they're up and running. I'm keeping an eye out myself for a second kit of these that I could gig with.
Thanks. Not bad 2300 for 3 kits, 15 drums, some stands, and hardware. They really sound unbelievable! I'm glad I've gotten to meet you on here. I don't like how Ddrums got a bad wrap. They are works of great sounding art. Idk about the lower end kits, but my God, they sound amazing. I'll probably gran a star Bubinga, and that will be it. Once they disappear from the market, these will also become valuable. I saw Bubinga piano going for 149k already. There will be other exotic woods, I just don't see them sounding, or looking like these.
Once supply is all but gone, the demand will be ridiculous

cplueard

Reaction score
Thanks. Not bad 2300 for 3 kits, 15 drums, some stands, and hardware. They really sound unbelievable! I'm glad I've gotten to meet you on here. I don't like how Ddrums got a bad wrap. They are works of great sounding art. Idk about the lower end kits, but my God, they sound amazing. I'll probably gran a star Bubinga, and that will be it. Once they disappear from the market, these will also become valuable. I saw Bubinga piano going for 149k already. There will be other exotic woods, I just don't see them sounding, or looking like these.
Once supply is all but gone, the demand will be ridiculous
They deserve the bad rap, to be fair. I've had as many bad ones as good ones but when they're good they really nail it. I don't see their QC as worse than vintage ludwigs (or even mordern, like the copperphonic) but since they're newer they get shafted a lot harder. I don't mind though, i can rotate them in and out at pretty low prices and keep any that really sing. If you ever see an ash kit from them cheap I'd recommend it, I enjoy them a lot.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They deserve the bad rap, to be fair. I've had as many bad ones as good ones but when they're good they really nail it. I don't see their QC as worse than vintage ludwigs (or even mordern, like the copperphonic) but since they're newer they get shafted a lot harder. I don't mind though, i can rotate them in and out at pretty low prices and keep any that really sing. If you ever see an ash kit from them cheap I'd recommend it, I enjoy them a lot.
When you say "bad ones" what issues did you have?
The complaints I've heard had to do with hardware. The shells are solid, and the few I put new heads on (even the ones I didn't, sounded ridiculously good)
They made an Ash Dios Bubinga?
I'm guessing they're pretty hard to come by, as I've yet to see one?
I'm just as impressed with the Starclassic. I like the finish on the hardware sharp, and the kick had some punch, but I wouldn't say 1 is better than the other 2.
I saw a Dios for sale online with some cool sizes. 14, 16, 18, 26 (if I remember correctly?) 5k. Not going to spend that on I kit I can't hear/examine.
What years did Ddrum produce them?
The first time I heard Bubinga was 2006, or so, and fell in love. At the time it was out of my $ range.
Well, once I get all new heads, and tune em, I'll post a vid to compare all.

cplueard

Reaction score
When you say "bad ones" what issues did you have?
The complaints I've heard had to do with hardware. The shells are solid, and the few I put new heads on (even the ones I didn't, sounded ridiculously good)
They made an Ash Dios Bubinga?
I'm guessing they're pretty hard to come by, as I've yet to see one?
I'm just as impressed with the Starclassic. I like the finish on the hardware sharp, and the kick had some punch, but I wouldn't say 1 is better than the other 2.
I saw a Dios for sale online with some cool sizes. 14, 16, 18, 26 (if I remember correctly?) 5k. Not going to spend that on I kit I can't hear/examine.
What years did Ddrum produce them?
The first time I heard Bubinga was 2006, or so, and fell in love. At the time it was out of my $ range.
Well, once I get all new heads, and tune em, I'll post a vid to compare all.
I got one of the 10 year anniversary models that had some hardware and finish issues, couldn't get the bass to tube right as the tension rods were too long for the lug size/distance from edge. I had a Dominion model that I think had some bunk edges, but I hadn't been playing long enough to really understand my problem it just wouldn't tune right no matter what I did. I've got a duo fade Dominion Maple where the finish is not holding up well and it looks pretty cheap, though the kit itself sounds great.
Not ash bubinga, just ash. They did an ash/maple hybrid too, they just sound good. Ash is en excellent wood for drums that I think is mostly untouched outside of Ddrum and a few higher end companies (canopus comes to mind) but you can snag a solid ash kit of $500 or less if it's Ddrum.
Yeah, there's still two Dios bubingas around online. One is priced fairly ($1500 for a 6-piece I think.) and the other was a touring drummers signature model so I'm guessing that's the 5K one you saw.
Not sure of production years for them , it wasn't super long.
Looking forward to the video!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got one of the 10 year anniversary models that had some hardware and finish issues, couldn't get the bass to tube right as the tension rods were too long for the lug size/distance from edge. I had a Dominion model that I think had some bunk edges, but I hadn't been playing long enough to really understand my problem it just wouldn't tune right no matter what I did. I've got a duo fade Dominion Maple where the finish is not holding up well and it looks pretty cheap, though the kit itself sounds great.
Not ash bubinga, just ash. They did an ash/maple hybrid too, they just sound good. Ash is en excellent wood for drums that I think is mostly untouched outside of Ddrum and a few higher end companies (canopus comes to mind) but you can snag a solid ash kit of $500 or less if it's Ddrum.
Yeah, there's still two Dios bubingas around online. One is priced fairly ($1500 for a 6-piece I think.) and the other was a touring drummers signature model so I'm guessing that's the 5K one you saw.
Not sure of production years for them , it wasn't super long.
Looking forward to the video!
Oh man, that's not good.
As far as the Bubinga Dios, have you ever had an issue?
Like I said the few heads I changed, and tuned sounded great, but I should really change all the heads, just to make sure there are no issues. If I do, hopefully it will be on a 14, as I have an extra.
15 isn't a bad deal if it's in good shape. The 5k one has those custom sizes, and I think was owned by a drummer I never heard of.
Well, off to GC, I'll pick up the heads you suggested, and compare.
I'm also really close to pulling the trigger on the Star Bubinga. It's pricey, but that will be it on Bubinga.
I'll use the Tunebot when I put the new ones on.
So, you pretty much knew some of the drums had issues almost right off the bat?

cplueard

Reaction score
Oh man, that's not good.
As far as the Bubinga Dios, have you ever had an issue?
Like I said the few heads I changed, and tuned sounded great, but I should really change all the heads, just to make sure there are no issues. If I do, hopefully it will be on a 14, as I have an extra.
15 isn't a bad deal if it's in good shape. The 5k one has those custom sizes, and I think was owned by a drummer I never heard of.
Well, off to GC, I'll pick up the heads you suggested, and compare.
I'm also really close to pulling the trigger on the Star Bubinga. It's pricey, but that will be it on Bubinga.
I'll use the Tunebot when I put the new ones on.
So, you pretty much knew some of the drums had issues almost right off the bat?
Only issue I've run into is that some of the lugs aren't threaded super well, even with some grease they can be a bit stiff. Nothing terrible, but it made tuning take a bit longer as I couldn't feel it out.
Yeah, it'll sound great once you get it going.
It's Mike Marsh's old kit. I think he wasn't with them long. He had a signature snare as well that was a pretty cool cast steel that didn't get made for very long.
I'd hold off on the star Bubinga if I were you. Unless you find one at a good deal the price on those likely won't ever get much higher than they already cost new. It's a limited and desired wood, but at the end of the day the musical instrument market gets smaller as time goes on and overall it will get harder for their value to rise if purchased new.
For the most part I knew pretty quickly. I generally retune and mess with drums first thing because it gives me an idea of what heads to try. Half the problems were visual and the other ones I've had could be felt. I've been fortunate enough that I've never had any bearing edge issues though I have heard of that occurring as well.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Only issue I've run into is that some of the lugs aren't threaded super well, even with some grease they can be a bit stiff. Nothing terrible, but it made tuning take a bit longer as I couldn't feel it out.
Yeah, it'll sound great once you get it going.
It's Mike Marsh's old kit. I think he wasn't with them long. He had a signature snare as well that was a pretty cool cast steel that didn't get made for very long.
I'd hold off on the star Bubinga if I were you. Unless you find one at a good deal the price on those likely won't ever get much higher than they already cost new. It's a limited and desired wood, but at the end of the day the musical instrument market gets smaller as time goes on and overall it will get harder for their value to rise if purchased new.
For the most part I knew pretty quickly. I generally retune and mess with drums first thing because it gives me an idea of what heads to try. Half the problems were visual and the other ones I've had could be felt. I've been fortunate enough that I've never had any bearing edge issues though I have heard of that occurring as well.
A bearing edge issue would be awful. Have you heard of any Bubinga kits that had that problem?
Luckily, I have 2 of every drum, and 3 14's. If I had an issue, that new lugs wouldn't solve, I could do 2 things.
I could always make 1 kit for playing, or I could make 1, of the 2 a bit smaller.
I actually couldn't find the Star Bubinga in stock anywhere, so it looks as if I do get my hands on one, it would be soon, and perhaps even cheaper (right now)
So, worst case scenario, I've got a couple Bubinga kits, and a B/B Starclassic. I didn't have to take a second mortgage out, and wasn't a hit that will hurt me financially.
For the kits with the bum lugs, lugs aren't a big deal to change, unless it's the housing of the lugs that have been the issue (what I'd imagine). Still, I'd hope I'd be able to order either, if that's the case.
As for the bearing edges, that would be a problem. Bubinga is such a hard wood, it would have had to have been a manufacturing glitch. They too can be fixed. I'd wait, if I had any drums with that issue. There were no issues with the drums I tuned up, and hopefully I won't have any.
When you came across a kit with the bad lugs, was it just 1, or 2?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, my Bubinga collection will be over in a few days.
Rather than getting the Star Bubinga, I went with the super limited edition of the 100% Bubinga 4 Peice G Bubinga SPL. I got it 1k less than any site. The company only got 3 (Musican's Friend). Supposedly only 15 were sent to the US, so from a collector's perspective, it should appreciate nicely in a few years.
What bothers me, is there are no videos of anyone playing the kit.
It is a sharp kit, although no virgin bass drum. I used to like them ;)

cplueard

Reaction score
A bearing edge issue would be awful. Have you heard of any Bubinga kits that had that problem?
Luckily, I have 2 of every drum, and 3 14's. If I had an issue, that new lugs wouldn't solve, I could do 2 things.
I could always make 1 kit for playing, or I could make 1, of the 2 a bit smaller.
I actually couldn't find the Star Bubinga in stock anywhere, so it looks as if I do get my hands on one, it would be soon, and perhaps even cheaper (right now)
So, worst case scenario, I've got a couple Bubinga kits, and a B/B Starclassic. I didn't have to take a second mortgage out, and wasn't a hit that will hurt me financially.
For the kits with the bum lugs, lugs aren't a big deal to change, unless it's the housing of the lugs that have been the issue (what I'd imagine). Still, I'd hope I'd be able to order either, if that's the case.
As for the bearing edges, that would be a problem. Bubinga is such a hard wood, it would have had to have been a manufacturing glitch. They too can be fixed. I'd wait, if I had any drums with that issue. There were no issues with the drums I tuned up, and hopefully I won't have any.
When you came across a kit with the bad lugs, was it just 1, or 2?
Sorry it's been so long since I've replied. Ran into some personal business to take care of and haven't been floating on the forum much.

No edge issues with the bubinga shells as far as I know.
I'd take the SLP over most their options anyday. You have to consider that for it to appreciate people have to be willing to pay base price+. Base price on a Star kit will be way out of most people budgets and even further out after appreciation.
They're tube lugs, so if you have a lug issue it'll be with the whole lug. You might just be able to get them re-tapped properly though if they are wonky.
Generally it was at least 5 lugs that were kinda sticky feeling. The Anniversary kit was worse as 80% of the bass drum lugs felt weird.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry it's been so long since I've replied. Ran into some personal business to take care of and haven't been floating on the forum much.

No edge issues with the bubinga shells as far as I know.
I'd take the SLP over most their options anyday. You have to consider that for it to appreciate people have to be willing to pay base price+. Base price on a Star kit will be way out of most people budgets and even further out after appreciation.
They're tube lugs, so if you have a lug issue it'll be with the whole lug. You might just be able to get them re-tapped properly though if they are wonky.
Generally it was at least 5 lugs that were kinda sticky feeling. The Anniversary kit was worse as 80% of the bass drum lugs felt weird.
No problem man. Life can get hectic. I was going to start a PM with ya, but I figure there maybe some info others might need?
Good call on the SLP. I picked one up, and got here Fri. I had 1 problem with a small nick inside the 16 inch tom (about the size of a 1/3rd of cigarette head) I'll take a pic. It's pretty crazy, as Tama drum headquarters are 2 towns over from me, and they will prepare it. I think there are only 1, or 2 of the SLP kits still for sale. I almost made a fatal error. I ordered from Musicians Friend. I didn't think much at the time, as they had a 92-94 % rating, and were $500 cheaper than anywhere else, plus I received over $200 bucks back in reward points. I looked at some other rating sites, and MF has HORRIBLE ratings! I won't buy from them again.I didn't know, but Mucisans Friend is owned by GC? So I'm wondering if I wasn't able to get Tama to fix, would I be able to have it fixed at GC? Anyway, I worked out a deal w/a manager, and he's going to send me another pair of 15 inch 2002 SE hats.
Needless to say, I was upset to see a blemish in the shell. I'll still be concerned until I get it back from Tama.
As for the Ddrums, I checked all the bearing edges, as well as the lugs, and luckily no issues at all. Shwooo.
I really went overboard with these Bubinga kits, and spent a good amount of bread. Still, besides the SPL, I didn't pay more much for any of the kits.
I really like the Bubinga/Birch Starclassic's sound. The Tama's that are 100% Bubinga, don't have quite as pretty shells than the Ddrums. I don't know if I've seen a better looking kit than the Ddrum. They are beautiful!
So now the buying is all said, and done, I ended up w/4 all Bubinga kits, and 1 B/B.
I got very lucky, as non of the people I bought the kits from knew about the restrictions on the Bubinga. I have noticed a sharp increase already in the price of these kits, so I feel comfortable with the purchases.
Here's a pic on that little gash that I got on the SLP. I'm confident Tama will do a good job. After this, I won't be placing anymore orders with MF.
It is a beautiful kit. Hopefully it sounds as good as it looks. There's some nice features with the new Tama hardware. The color of the rims/mounts are really nice, and had a cool memory lock system. 20190419_202653.jpg20190419_183954.jpg

Last edited:

cplueard

Reaction score
No problem man. Life can get hectic. I was going to start a PM with ya, but I figure there maybe some info others might need?
Good call on the SLP. I picked one up, and got here Fri. I had 1 problem with a small nick inside the 16 inch tom (about the size of a 1/3rd of cigarette head) I'll take a pic. It's pretty crazy, as Tama drum headquarters are 2 towns over from me, and they will prepare it. I think there are only 1, or 2 of the SLP kits still for sale. I almost made a fatal error. I ordered from Musicians Friend. I didn't think much at the time, as they had a 92-94 % rating, and were $500 cheaper than anywhere else, plus I received over $200 bucks back in reward points. I looked at some other rating sites, and MF has HORRIBLE ratings! I won't buy from them again.I didn't know, but Mucisans Friend is owned by GC? So I'm wondering if I wasn't able to get Tama to fix, would I be able to have it fixed at GC? Anyway, I worked out a deal w/a manager, and he's going to send me another pair of 15 inch 2002 SE hats.
Needless to say, I was upset to see a blemish in the shell. I'll still be concerned until I get it back from Tama.
As for the Ddrums, I checked all the bearing edges, as well as the lugs, and luckily no issues at all. Shwooo.
I really went overboard with these Bubinga kits, and spent a good amount of bread. Still, besides the SPL, I didn't pay more much for any of the kits.
I really like the Bubinga/Birch Starclassic's sound. The Tama's that are 100% Bubinga, don't have quite as pretty shells than the Ddrums. I don't know if I've seen a better looking kit than the Ddrum. They are beautiful!
So now the buying is all said, and done, I ended up w/4 all Bubinga kits, and 1 B/B.
I got very lucky, as non of the people I bought the kits from knew about the restrictions on the Bubinga. I have noticed a sharp increase already in the price of these kits, so I feel comfortable with the purchases.
Here's a pic on that little gash that I got on the SLP. I'm confident Tama will do a good job. After this, I won't be placing anymore orders with MF.
It is a beautiful kit. Hopefully it sounds as good as it looks. There's some nice features with the new Tama hardware. The color of the rims/mounts are really nice, and had a cool memory lock system. View attachment 394397View attachment 394398
Looks gorgeous. I bet they sound as good as they look.
That's unfortunate that there's a flaw, hopefully it's resolved easily.
MF is really just an additional online storefront for GC, so since there's little to no human aspect it's ratings will have a hard time, especially if it's treated as the red-headed step-child of the company. Since it's just a warehouse they tend to send stuff off sight unseen.
Glad your Ddrums are good. you should make a video once you get them all put together, I'd love to hear 'em.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Luckily, the manufacture warranty will take care of it, and even more luck, I'm within driving distance. The problem is they cant replace it, but can repair it. Musicians friend gave me $450 credit, so I got a back up set of 15 inch SE hats, and a head.
There are no more Bubinga kits at Tama, or Musicans F.
Yeah, GC owns a bunch of companies.
Anyway, I started off with a $500 discount, and now the the hats, I ended up saving $900, no tax, free ship. At Sweetwater, I woulda paid more than double, so it's cool.
The damage is so small, if I weren't thoroughly inspecting it, I'd have never seen it.
I can bring it to Tama free, or a master woodworker for 25 bucks. Nice old guy, been doing it 50 years.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's official!
I HAVE A PROBLEM.
I'm not wealthy by any means, but I picked up my 6th Bubinga kit since I started this thread.
This is my 2nd Starclassic B/B. The rest are all Bubinga. I've heard all but 1 when I bought em, and have to say B/B kits sound great! (Especially with shorter bass drums)
The guy sent me a pic. I didn't love the wrap, but not bad. He also threw in HH stand, Snare stand, 2 booms, and Iron Cobra single. I saw the virgin bass, and chrome hardware, so was hoping it was Japanese made. When I went to look at it, I saw it was made in China. I offered 1k for everything, and he took it.
Anyway, I'll try and get some help setting a couple up, so ya can hear em tonight?
Getting cluttered. I'll go get some heads for one of em, and put the rest in storage.
Prices are starting to rise pretty rapidly. I'll be hard pressed to find anyone deals.
Gotta stop.

Attachments

cplueard

Reaction score
It's official!
I HAVE A PROBLEM.
I'm not wealthy by any means, but I picked up my 6th Bubinga kit since I started this thread.
This is my 2nd Starclassic B/B. The rest are all Bubinga. I've heard all but 1 when I bought em, and have to say B/B kits sound great! (Especially with shorter bass drums)
The guy sent me a pic. I didn't love the wrap, but not bad. He also threw in HH stand, Snare stand, 2 booms, and Iron Cobra single. I saw the virgin bass, and chrome hardware, so was hoping it was Japanese made. When I went to look at it, I saw it was made in China. I offered 1k for everything, and he took it.
Anyway, I'll try and get some help setting a couple up, so ya can hear em tonight?
Getting cluttered. I'll go get some heads for one of em, and put the rest in storage.
Prices are starting to rise pretty rapidly. I'll be hard pressed to find anyone deals.
Gotta stop.
I adore that finish on that Tama kit

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I like the 16 inch deep bass drums a bit better than the 18's. Some extra punch.
Here's the Tama SLP I picked up a bit back.
As for the Ddrum kits, I only played them when I bought them. Once these are put in storage, I'll pull those out.
I did go ahead and order a Star Bubinga. I went with Bonham sized drums.
26, 14, 16, 18. Only thing, it will be 6 months before I get em.

Attachments

Latest posts