Buckingham & McVie. new songs/tour - yeah! electric drums on stage - boo!

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
saw the buckingham/mcvie tour last night in seattle. they played 8 new songs and some old fleetwood mac favorites. first 4 songs were acoustic, and when the band came on, so did some trouble. i could see before the show started that there were to be electric drums (tiny c&c set triggering roland sounds and real cymbals), but i figured this would be state of the art and sound good. the first time he hit the drums, it was massive attack, not a smooth sound at all. i'm sure most folks did not notice anything but a drum sound, but to a real drummer, it was harsh. kinda was able to hear past it, but by the end of the night, it wore me down. 180 degrees from the mick fleetwood tone. everything else was traditional guitars and keyboards, so they were not going for a techno vibe.

oh yeah, almost forgot - lindsey buckingham is AMAZING - it really is his show.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw Boston last week. Same thing he had some trigger things on the toms. It was awful
but nobody probably noticed a thing except for me and any other drummers.
smh. I just don't get it

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They were on a morning show recently and I saw C&C and thought - "cool". Until I heard them. Just didn't seem to fit the music, and I've heard better drum sounds off a Roland at local bar gigs.

Was thinking of grabbing the disc though. The 2 songs I heard I really liked.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lindsey Buckingham is incredible.
"HOLIDAY ROAD" from the Vacation movie is him.
Put on any classic Fleetwood Mac song and focus on the guitar parts. Perfection.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Uggh. Toms and bass drum are really bad.

They could've triggered sampled acoustic drums from a laptop and gotten MUCH better sounds. The sounds are probably from the Roland module and are more suited to 90's club and rave music than Buckingham/McVie. Ironic that they release new material and the drums make it sound like it came out in the 90's, and even then the drums would've been a poor choice.

Another performance on youtube, I heard autotune and canned backing vocals for the chorus on "Hold Me."

Last edited by a moderator:

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Was his brother the drummer? Remember, this is Lindsay's & Christine's gig, not a Mac gig. It's ok if the drums are not like Mick's

jhall

Reaction score
Jimmy Paxson is the drummer. He's a bad dude! Look him up.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I caught the tour & much preferred the acoustic stuff. Some canned / enhanced vocals, some bad vocals, & processed drums. I heard that John & Mick had done some shows but they weren't there. Oh well.. The wife dug it anyway.

Kendrum

Reaction score
Jimmy Paxon has been playing with Stevie Nicks for years. I read he said hes playing electronics on this tour because that's what they wanted. You give the bosses what they want.