Buddy and Louie talk Gadd and Bonzo

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larnell? Larnell Stovall has a band?
lol no - Larnell Lewis, he claims to have never heard Metallica's Enter Sandman.

Just saw a similarity there.

:p

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know , Neil is much more musical!!!
No, Neil played much more simply. Now, make sure you're not confusing 'busy' with 'complex' — they're not the same thing. Neil was indeed a busy player, but the stuff he executed while being busy was technically much simpler than the things Buddy played when he was being 'busy'. And Buddy executed things at a much faster internal musical tempo than Neil did, and more importantly, he played them off-the-cuff. Everything Neil played was planned in advance — same fills every night, same solo every night. OTOH, Buddy was inventing things in-the-moment every night, and never played anything the same twice. And the things he was inventing were much more musically complicated than the things Neil was playing from rote.

Like drums1225 said, not even in the same universe.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, Neil played much more simply. Now, make sure you're not confusing 'busy' with 'complex' — they're not the same thing. Neil was indeed a busy player, but the stuff he executed while being busy was technically much simpler than the things Buddy played when he was being 'busy'. And Buddy executed things at a much faster internal musical tempo than Neil did, and more importantly, he played them off-the-cuff. Everything Neil played was planned in advance — same fills every night, same solo every night. OTOH, Buddy was inventing things in-the-moment every night, and never played anything the same twice. And the things he was inventing were much more musically complicated than the things Neil was playing from rote.

Like drums1225 said, not even in the same universe.
That’s rich .

tone-def

Reaction score
I swear I've seen a video of an interview with Buddy on a tv show in London, maybe on the Parkinson tv show(?), but I can't find it. I seem to remember he discusses "the guy who plays the funny drums" (aka Ringo) and the Zeppelin "air show." Of Zeppelin he said something along the lines of the crowd was horrible and of the band they try hard but he doesn't understand going to see a band rehearse on stage. If anyone has a link to that video please post. I'd like to see that again.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
I find it a bit sad to read/see some of the almost bitterness between drumming genre's with Buddy Rich's comments above (about god knows who because a massive 2 million dollar kit sure wasn't Bonham) and some others that get posted here. I can understand and will very happily engage in a bit of friendly rivalry/banter but virtually dismissing others as more, or less talented and/or skilled is not really productive to our instrument.

Drummers in all styles of music have some mad skills and there's something to learn from everyone, whether you enjoy their musical style or not. Some metal guys are amazing, fusion, jazz and big band players play amazing stuff and never ever dismiss a more basic rock/pop or country player as they're the one's you'll likely hear the most on the radio.

The one goal for a drummer for me is to keep a solid groove and make the music and/or artist feel and sound better. If you're given a moment in the spotlight fine but otherwise you're a worker bee, not the queen. By all means bag other instrumentalists but please support your fellow drummers :).

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy Rich was a force of nature I get it .
I sure don’t understand how he’s miles better than everyone else .
You are delusional if you think he smoked Neil ...
Even Neil thought that Buddy 'smoked Neil'. Said so in interviews. He had no delusions.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wtf is he talking about on the Zeppelin show I wonder ??
2 million worth of of a huge kit ??
And some loincloth guy ???
Why would he just make stuff up ??
Obviously exaggerating. Buddy was a self-promoter, and would rarely give it up to any drummer. I'm sure Buddy was being told about Bonham prior to the show, so he just gave his critical assessment of it, which would never be good, because Buddy never thought rock was very good. (I never heard him play rock in a compelling way either).

This is very silly. Bellson seems more open-minded about it. He was an innovator. And, possibly more humble.

Why people have to get a take from Buddy and Louie on another style drummer is beyond me.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm reading the biography of Ed Sullivan . A very informative chronicle of 20th century American entertainment history . They both ( B. Rich) came out of a vaudeville tradition whose stage was a cruel arena offering noplace to hide . Artists needed to have something special and be better at it than anyone else .

Krupa had an entirely different personality , more approachable and less bombastic, but both drummers let their drumming do most of the talking . We are who we are long before sitting behind our first kit .

Last edited:

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Neil was my biggest inspiration and an obsession of mine from 1980-1989. There's no shot he had anywhere near Buddy's technical prowess. Not even remotely in the same universe.
Comparisons of great drummers with unique voices using numerical values(e.g. #1, #2) or designations (e.g. the greatest) is illogical and pointless. This is art. Neil could never be Buddy and vice versa. What we all can agree is they were amazing artists in their own right and that they made a tremendous impact on music.

I personally think Mickey Dolenz is the greatest drummer of all time. Just ask Hal Blaine(RIP).

Attachments

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comparisons of great drummers with unique voices using numerical values(e.g. #1, #2) or designations (e.g. the greatest) is illogical and pointless. This is art. Neil could never be Buddy and vice versa. What we all can agree is they were amazing artists in their own right and that they made a tremendous impact on music.

I personally think Mickey Dolenz is the greatest drummer of all time. Just ask Hal Blaine(RIP).
This ^^^^^
Yes, everyone has their preferences for various types of art, which is bound to one's emotions and their personal "turf." We protect our turf, we protect "our" drummers.
Additionally, I don't think you can equate technical complexity with musical complexity.

Sprice

Reaction score
It's been the same for ever. The older generation gets passed up while the younger generation does its thing. New tastes, new styles, new gear (some innovations that work and some not so much). Some people try to keep learning with an open mind and some just get bitter about it. Buddy was clearly in the latter category (he even thought bebop was too progressive and busy according to the Monk book I just read). Someday it might be people like JD Beck and Chris Dave sitting around complaining about the young whippersnappers and all their shenanigans or maybe they'll still be in the thick of it. As a fan and amateur player I like to keep an open mind and see what else is out there not be dismissive of anything because it's new or I don't get it (yet).

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I think Cathy took Buddy to see Alice Cooper. Neal Smith had a gazzillion dollar Slingerland kit and I am sure someone in a loincloth would set a fire like that at an Alice show. I have never seen anyone in a loincloth set fires at a Zeppelin show.

Last edited: